THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Monster Bucks "X" Rifle Jam

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monster Bucks "X" Rifle Jam
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So me and the missus were sitting around the Nimrod cabin on a particularly hot and sweaty August evening and I decide to pop in my newest DVD...Monster Bucks X. (She has a strange obsession with this series...no really!) Anywho, so there is a scene where one of the yahoos is in a deer blind and goes to take a shot on, well, a monster buck. He appears to be shooting one of those Remington 700 SS loudenboomer mags and shoots over the deer that's about 250 yards away...probably held over too much for a "flat shootin" rifle like that? In any case, the deer runs about 50 yards then stops. Our hero then tries to work the bolt but it appears that the bullet misfeeds or jams. But the bolt just stops almost all the way to the rear on its forward stroke. He has to open and empty the magazine and reload before he gets a second (and fatal shot) on his venison. Now I've shot tens of gazillions of rounds in competition and maybe a tenth of a gazillion on game using both Remington 700 actions and Win 70s. And I've never had a "jam" like that. So what happened? Handload too long? Bullets improperly stacked in magazine? Should have used a CRF? FWIW, this was one of those once in a lifetime deer that so many of you seem to be concerned with...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
The explanation is simple. It was the loose nut behind the trigger and likely not very easily cured.................

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the producers added the "jam" to add some excitement to the tape? I find the vast majority of the tapes so absolutely boring that I stopped watching them years ago. 99% of the hunts, especially treestand hunts, are all the SAME.
FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe how much those guys move around in their stands!!! With all those abrubt movements, I would think they would be busted constantly. I'm no professional so I still try to stay as still as possible. Shows what I know!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe how much they talk ... and talk ... and talk.

One of the shows this morning was a youth hunt on a state WMA in Missouri (from a ground blind that was more like a big tent) and as soon as they spotted the deer, the guide started talking non-stop to the 12-year-old hunter. I'm sure the kid couldn't absorb it all, it's a miracle he made the shot.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Last sunday morning watching the show "The Chevy Sportman" the main character was about to sight-in on the big management buck when he said to the guide, "You won't believe this but I left my shells in the other suburban." What was he doing getting into a stand and not loading his rifle right away instead of waiting for the buck to do so? Plum silly!

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Kentucky Nimrod
I saw the same film,I think he short stroked the
bolt.He was pretty excited after he missed.As
was mentioned above,loose nut behind the trigger.
Jeff

[ 09-09-2002, 15:58: Message edited by: JeffP ]

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most definitely not a short stroke. That implies he opened the bolt far enough to eject the spent cartridge but not far enough to strip a fresh round from the magazine. His problem was he couldn't push the bolt closed as the cartridge somehow got hung up.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote