New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loaner rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My dad loaned his very dependable and successful 270 Weatherby Vanguard to a "friend" and the guy allowed the outside of the barrel to rust, then he tried to remove it with what looked like coarse sandpaper. I'm sure not everyone believes in loaning guns. I've loaned rifles to others with great results, of course not my favorite ones. Has anyone had bad experiences with loaning firearms? Any good stories--when the loanees had good luck?

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I would sometimes loan a rifle or shotgun. Learned from other's experience not to allow borrowers to use the best I had. Fortunate that.

Had a semi-sporterized Swedish 6.5-55 M96. In a Ramline stock (now gone) with William FPRS and Shorty Ramp front. The fellow knocked the front sight clear off. I've used that gun for my rough hunting, thick brush etc. and never lost the front sight. Well, his story and facts don't match up because he said he knocked it off in the brush but he had the front sight and ramp to return to me.

Remounted it has been hunting with me for several years now, no problem. I don't loan guns now. Rather give them away than have that happen. Amazing how attached I was to that gun that it made me feel like I did.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had nothing but good luck in the few times I loaned rifles [Smile] . One fellow won an informal shooting contest (and about $100) [Eek!] at his deer camp. He was so impressed he returned the rifle (perfectly cleaned of course) with 2 boxes of premium ammo [Big Grin] . The other gun borrowers returned my rifles in perfect shape and cleaned to boot....I guess you have to be particular as to whom you loan things to [Wink] .

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Last year on an exotic hunt I loaned one of the guys my Ruger 77 RSI, I'm not sure it counts because I was on the same ranch hunting. Anyway, I spent Friday teaching him how to shoot (he had never hunted before at 40 years old), taught him where to aim, and we placed him in a stand. Over the weekend he got a Blackbuck Antelope and an Axis deer, both 1 shot each. I usually carry 3 guns on a hunt anyway, my 2 BAR's (1 Grade III and 1 Grade IV) which I don't loan out for any reason, and normally the Ruger as a backup/loaner gun.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Loaned out a new 300 WBY MKV Fibermark rifle one time for an elk hunt. It came back looking like crap! Sratches, cuts on the stock, bluing almost all gone from the floorplate etc. etc....... I was so depressed I traded it the next day! Never loaned out anything again then again I was never asked to. I guess it depends on the individual borrowing the rifle.

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaned a gun or to in the past but anymore the way lawers are running wild in this country I won't do it again. The gun owner could really get "hung out to dry" by a lawsuit. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
My favorite 7 Mag came back in two pieces, synthetic stock broken in half at the pistol grip. The guy who borrowed it is a stand up guy and replaced the stock pronto.

375 H&H came back with a big deep cut in the scope.

A friends 7 mag that he let his brother use came back significantly worse. His brother is a ... um ... looser, to put it mildly. Wanted to hunt pigs but wanted to drink a lot of beer at the same time.

Climb the tree, drink beer ... drop rifle (barrel first into the mud) climb down ... " humm barrel filled with mud, I better clear it in case I want to shoot something... lets see, take safety off and pull trigger ... "

I do not need to continue. He was darn lucky he was not injured.

We are thinking of using the barrel as a base for a lamp because it has four nice legs that stick out at about a 30 deg. angle.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
I would be very hesitant to loan any item out. It seems that people don't take good care of loaned items and that a damaged item is a sure way to hurt a friendship.

I think loaning a potentially dangerous item as a gun could be a sure way of getting yourself involved in a lawsuit.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaned out a few firearms over the years, so far no prblems. Accidents happen, things break. Everyone has been standup about it and no real problems, just the time to make it right again. I've also had a few aquaintences ask to borrow guns, and for certain people the answer is "sorry, no". How well does he take care of his own things? I don't think this is one of those rules you can just say yes or no to, there are a lot of differant circumstances (and people)that change the answer. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
There are a few trusted friends who I'd be happy to loan any rifle to, but for the most part I wouldn't loan any rifle to anyone unless I knew them well and trusted them. You may not know it, but there can be some real liability issues involved here, and I would advise the utmost caution when it comes to loaning guns to anyone.

But beyond that, the oldest law of economics in the world states that products and services are cheaper when someone else foots the bill, and the guy who's investment is on the line treats that investment with a whole lot more care and respect than the guy who has invested nothing at all.

I loaned a favorite .270 to a man who lived near me some twenty years ago, and it was the last rifle I ever loaned to anyone. When he returned it, I took it out of the case and noticed that the barrel had a big new scratch on it, and the forend of the stock was deeply gouged on the same side. This upset me to no end and I asked the man how those scars came into being.

His reply: "Those were already there!"

My reply: "Get in your truck and drive, and don't ever come back."

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I get a lot of satisfaction loaning guns to deserving friends, especially when those friends use them for successful hunts. I haven't had anyone abuse any of my guns, but then maybe that speaks to the quality of my friends.

As for them "lawers" runnin' loose, I've actually loaned guns to lawers. Figure I might need one of them lawers if anybody ever files a serious law suit against me. Lots of folks, especially politicians who otherwise lack much substance, run around pissin' and moanin' about the devastation wrought on us poor innocents by "frivolous lawsuits". Well, I ain't worried about no "frivolous lawsuit" -- I can handle that. It's the SERIOUS lawsuit that bothers me; and that's what bothers the major corporations who don't want little pissant folks like you and me bothering them over lil' ole nigling details like Corvair wheels, or Thalidomide, or quacks that inject junk into a young woman's titties that rots them off, or swindlers who try to cheat you out of your pension savings.

You know, the frivolous lawsuit song and dance kinda reminds me of what Senator Lyndon Johnson said when one of his aides told him that he had to get down to San Antonio right away because "they were tellin' lies on him down there". He said he wasn't worried about San Antone because it was worse than that in Houston -- they were telling the truth on him over there [Wink] .

Anyway, when someone comes up with an example of a successfully prosecuted lawsuit against the owner of a gun who loaned it to a friend in good faith, then maybe I'll start makin my gun-borrowing friends sign a disclaimer and release. Good thing I know a lawer who can write one.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I once bent the rules on a deer lease I was on which did not allow guests and invited an old college friend and his son who weren't able to hunt very often. First thing I had to do was lend both of them rifles, which I thought they'd appreciate given all the circumstances. The rifles came back scratched and dinged, and my friend asked if they could walk around the property and hunt squirrels instead of deer! I didn't get visably upset but was really put out over the whole deal. Years later my friend told me several times how much fun they had, even though they didn't show much in the way of thanks at the time, and how his son still talked about the trip. So I guess the hunt was a success in that respect but I don't loan guns anymore.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
There are a few trusted friends who I'd be happy to loan any rifle to, but for the most part I wouldn't loan any rifle to anyone unless I knew them well and trusted them.

I am of the same mind but anyone I'd trust enough to lend a rifle to, is someone I only trust because he has a rifle of his own!

However, I would lend to someone on the same hunt I was on, to replace a broken gun. And I would lend to a new hunter who would be on the same hunt with me and under some form of supervision. This would not be any kind of heirloom or custom or otherwise really nice rifle.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
My son is the only person who I would "loan" a rifle to and I have already had one of the safes delivered to his house.

I did loan a favorite High Wall out to a trusted friend long ago. He had a very good hunt with it and it's a good memory. So it can work out.

Guns are cheap. Let them get their own.

<PWN>
posted
I loaned a Remington 870 to my now ex brother-in-law and when I finally got tired of his excuses for not returning it I went to his shack to pick it up. He handed me a pawn ticket. I told him the 870 was not he only $%&#ing gun I owned and left trailing a stream of smoke with the promise I was returning very soon. In less than 1 hour I had my slightly rusty shotgun back in my possession.

Perry

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are lending something.

1. Hope for the best, and expect the worse.

2. Never lend anything your not willing to loose.

If you are borrowing.

1. Return it as you got it.

2. Never borrow anything you can't afford to replace.

when i follow this, i am very seldom dissapointed with the outcome.

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
The first gun I loaned to a "friend", (non-family member), was this kid I was working with that really, really, really [Roll Eyes] wanted to go bear hunting with me. He only owned one gun, an SKS with a folding stock, and he wanted to know if he should bring the steel core ammo, or the target ammo. That is what brought up the gun issue in the first place. I was very hesitant to loan out a rifle to him, since I had only known him for 6 months or so, but he was swearing oaths and testifying every day for a week straight that he would take good care of it, etc, etc. I knew money was tight for him and he couldn't afford to buy a rifle for the fast up coming hunt, so feeling sorry for him I loaned him a winchester that I had had for over 2 years without a single scratch or blemish on it. I missed opening day due to work, and met them in bear camp after one day of hunting. The first thing I noticed was my "new" rifle propped up in the corner, all beat to sh*t, even from a distance I could see shiny silver where there should have been blue. "What the hell!!?" Is my automatic question. His classic reply, "Well if it meant that much to you, you shouldn't have loaned it to me." And he was serious!

I do have a very good friend that I have loaned guns to on his first elk hunt, he got one and not a scratch or ding to the gun, and his first AZ mule deer hunt, he got one and not a scratch on that gun either. The difference is the quality of the person borrowing. My very good buddy John is the definition of responsible and respects other people's possessions. I know he would pay for anything he ever broke or damaged, in the unlikely event it happened.

Whenever I borrow anything from anybody, no matter the item or the cost, I treat it better than I would treat my own property, which is usually very well. If I did damage something I borrowed, by accident or whatever, I would fix or replace it without being asked, no matter what the expense. Just a matter of common sense and courtesy in my opinion. I believe in returning things in as good or better shape than I borrow them.

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
There are a few trusted friends who I'd be happy to loan any rifle to"

AD

Hey AD, ole buddy, ole pal! <-----signs up for the 'trusted friend' list. How about loaning me one of those Echols rifles to take to Zim next May? I promise to return it in one piece [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I'd borrow it even though it is "wrong handed". Whadda say, ole friend? [Razz] Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a world war I sporterized 8mm with a rusty barrel that I give out as a loaner.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had good luck when I've loaned my guns. They've always come back just as I loaned them.
If I'm not sure about someone's character or if they are just a youngster, I loan them one of my old, cheap, or beat-up guns. Someone in my family, a friend, or hunting club members- well, I'd loan them anything I had. When I go to camp, I usually carry a spare anyway.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
There are a few friends I'd lend anything to....Stress teh word FEW!!!

If someone is hunting with me, I have a few "loaner" guns..rifles and shotguns. Decent guns I can keep my eye on...

If someone wants to "borrow" a gun, they will get the crap- single shot 12 guage that I paid $20 for, or one of my not favoured $65 303 SMLE's.

I'vr lended out a aluminim canoe-came back leaking with promise to repair..my Dad in the end fixed it. And a generator..hole in the motor due to lsck of oil.

Don't lend ANYTHING you care about deeply. Your best friend can become an enemy...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loan vary few people anything. It is amazing how many people will ask to borrow something though. I will however loan my father anything I own.

On one of my first dear hunts, when driving into camp a nice buck ran across the road. Dad stops and we try to dig out a rifle. The first one found was the one owned by my dads hunting partner. He tells dad to use it. As he starts across the road he swings the rifle up to his shoulder and the sling comes undone. First the top, and then the bottom. The rifle bounces off the road. It scratched it up pretty bad. It seams that the guy forgot to hook the hasps on right. The next day dad went to town bought a new rifle and scope and gave it to the guy. This taught me a very important lesson. (It doesn�t matter whose fault if it is in your hands it is your fault.)

I got another chance to use this lesson about 5 years ago. The motor in my boat went out about 75 miles up a river on a hunt. My dad was out of the state but he left his boat at my brother�s house. I carry a bag phone with me and called my dad to see if my brother could use his boat to come get my camp and pull out my boat. His answer was of course.
To make a long story short the motor on his boat went out about 2 miles short of town on the return trip. Two days later I was $13.000 poorer. (Dam them new motors are expensive.)

The guy that was hunting with me said that I was stupid to pay for the motor. I have not spoken to him since that trip. My point is that boat should not of been up there except to help us out.

I now use this story when people want to go hunting with me. If they would have done the same thing they are welcome. If not they can not go.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I don't loan out my guns, dog or wife; in that order. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Axel>
posted
I find this thread very interesting. There seems to be a trend in that those who have had problems with loaned rifles coming back damage all reference their fathers. This seems to indicate that they are younger. Does this mean that the younger generation just does not have as much respect for other's property than the older generations?

Axel

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaned several guns over the years, and it seems like they always seem to get a scratch or two. That's why I have a few guns in the safe for that purpose. They are good accurate guns; they're not pretty though. I usually loan rifles and shotguns to my kids and grandkids every year and occasionally a pistol. They always come back in good shape and cleaned and oiled.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have 2 thoughts on this subject, and then 2 points of view. any course, I do NOT let someone TAKE one of mine on a hunt without me.

1: Newbie/Kid/Woman that has never hunted before. I am GLAD to loan them one of my rifles, and teach them to hunt. Once or twice, even 3 times.. but after that, "get your own" so to speak

2: guy that wants to hunt but wont buy a rifle. exactly ONCE will i loan it out. Then i tell him to get his own, or buy the one he's borrowing.

and my points of view are
1: If the are thankful of it, and treat it as well as they know how (this varies) then I don't mind a scratch or ding. I teach them to wipe them down, etc. This person can borrow again

2: disrespectful of others property or EXPECTING it.. ONCE, never again, and I'll only do work for them on a cash basis.

interesting thing... a friend needed to borrow a rifle. I loaned him one for his son (actually my wife loaned it, as it was her 708). The kid got his first stalking hog kill with it. Next hunt, wanted to borrow it... Okay, fine.... "grumble... need to get your kid a rifle"... Next hunt..."oh, can you bring your wife's rifle for my son?" That cut it, NO. You are now expecting my to provide it, and go get one.

the kid is now hunting with a new model 7.
jeffe

Posts: 38668 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaner rifles a mil 7.7 jap and a 300 sav jap sporter both are worth about 50 dollars apice. Very few people get to use my good rifles unless I am standing next to them. the ones I would trust with them have proven themselfs time and time again that I not only would trust my rifles to them but that they would be ones to have behind you in a tight spot.

Posts: 19458 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Okie Newton>
posted
I plan on loaning my 700 classic in 300 wby to a good friend to take an elk in Colorado. I loaned him my 6mm one time when his scope got knocked off on a Texas deer lease. I trust him and he is very picky and careful. If he treats mine like it is his own there will not be a problem. His custom rifle has problems with the barrell. Not enough time to fix it.

<CAMike>
posted
35nut,

I liked your story, very appropriate. You can hunt with me anytime.

CA Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always keep a spare Ruger 270 with a cheap scope on it for a loaner. You can pick them up at gunshows for $250 to $300. If someone has a mechanical problem and needs a backup this is what they get.

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loaned out my one and only hunting rifle at the time = 25-284 to a semi experienced hunter in Alaska so he could go kill a sheep. The sheep lived - my rifle came back with a chip in the ocular lens of my Leupold 4X scope - something about rocks. In this day and age though beware of the lawyer. I know where a man went fishing on a private pond and used the landowners boat - with permission. Fell out out of the boat and drowned. Landowner got sued. I also came across scene on the interstate in Montana after a man was struck and killed walking down the middle of the interstate at night. Cowboy in a cadillac with two chickipoos busted him and launched him 100 ft down the interstate. I covered him up. The man was driving down the wrong side of the interstate, drunk, and ran out of gas - so he decided to hoof it right down the striped centerline - boom!. The poor cowboy was successfully sued by the mans estranged daughter. Has nothing to do with loaning guns but it does illustrate the miracle of modern law.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
As to the reference to younger shooters not being responsible, I'd agree with that. Not that I'm so young and yes, I had a problem(s) as mentioned above and with trusted "friends".

An example of the younger crowd is, sad to say, illustrated by one friend who wanted a "rock solid" sight system on his M77 Mannlicher, .270 so he got a William Fool Proof mounted. Came in after a week of bear hunting complaining all about how cheap those Williams sights were. Seems he was running through the woods chasing the dogs chasing the bear and knocked his sights (front and rear) clear off! Now this is a short rifle, he is a big man (6'6") and he had the rifle slung across his back! Sheared the mounting screws through. I've no idea how it happened without severe injury to the bearer but it did. I myself have used these sights for years and the worst I've done is scratch it a bit low crawling up on game. Needless to say he will never get a loan gun.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have allowed 2 people to use my 6.5 when I was by their side.

One was fine the other was so clumsy walking to the high seat I only handed him the rifle when we up there. After I rescued it from falling over a second time I declared the wind was wrong and we went to the pub for a beer...

End of loaning my rifles, if anyone else wants to stalk a deer they'll have to drive me to Scotland where they can use my 222!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My problem is not damage, its the hard feelings caused when you have to finally go beat their door down to get 'em back. I've never loaned outside the family and I always have to go after them.

The last request was from my son-in-law, I said these 4 rifles are for sale, the rest are mine, just like my toothbrush they are monogamus.

Of course if you have "retro" ideas about hunting guns like me, no one will ask to borrow your rifles anyway!

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote