THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Pronghorn Antelope hunting recommendations

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronghorn Antelope hunting recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any suggestions on where/who to go on an antelope hunt? We are two canadians with absolutely no experience in antelope (i've only seen one in my life out the window of the car on the highway) We usually do self guided Moose/caribou/bear every year so we're not hunting newbies, just no antelope experience
We were wondering about the merits of NM, Wy, or???Any and all suggestions/help would be appreciated. If anyone could steer us toward an affordable hunt/ guide / Ranch etc it would be greatly appreciated. It seems$1700 is about the going rate for a guided hunt. Are there any places Canadians could hunt without a guide?

Also I never seem to see anyone raving about the merits of antelope meat. How does it compare to Moose/carobou/whitetail?

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think in Wyoming a nonresidnet is a nonresident, wether you are from Kentucky or Alberta.

You have to apply and be drawn to hunt antelope in Wyoming. But it is quite easy to do on your own. Apply, if you draw, pick a time frame and drive down and hunt. Lots of public land to hunt, open to every one.

My opinion, if antelope is taken care of, cooled quickly, not ran to death, it is better than deer, and I prefer an antelope chop to an elk steak.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the best Antelope hunting is between Casper and Gillette Wyoming. There is plenty of public ground if you want to hunt without a guide. If you are hunting public ground I would try to get there early in the season. Antelope become very skittish after the season starts. Be prepared to do a lot of stalking, and shoot out to 400 yards.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow... thanks for the prompt response Smiler
How do we locate public land?
Is it just any thing that isn't posted or fenced. If we stop and ask at a couple of ranches what are the odds of getting permission/paying a trespass fee?

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are antelope hunts in far west Texas for around $1200-1500 and up depending on guides/accomedations. This was a couple of years ago. The lower prices are for self guided hunts ans a place to camp with electricity and water. Each landowner is only given a few permits, so the 'lopes are not terribly skittish. 100-200yd shots are the norm. If this intrests you do a google. If you need more help get back and I'll see if I can help. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming is the best bet. As has been said, there is a lot of public land and the people are friendly. If you get there a few days before the hunt begins you can always strike up conversation in the local watering hole or gas station to get a pretty good idea where the big hunks of public land are. As I said, I have always found the people very friendly in Wyoming.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote: As I said, I have always found the people very friendly in Wyoming.
Thanks John!

You can buy maps at local sporting goods stores and BLM offices. Bureau of Land Management. The maps are pretty good as to show public land and access. In eastern Wy you can draw easier becuase of more private land. Some free access and some you have to pay to access. The Game and Fish, and chamber of commerce offices can help you with that.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Wyoming, if you are not successful drawing a buck tag, you can buy doe antelope tags over the counter in at least some units. I take my boys up around Laramie to hunt does just as a day trip from Colorado.

Wyoming landowners are also pretty friendly and will often allow hunters on their land as long as you be sure to provide them with the landowner portion of the tag - a small state subsidy for allowing hunters on their property.

Posts: 53 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the responses Big Grin
Kudu or anyone else that has wyoming contacts could you point me in the right direction to find a rancher and secure some private land permission before we try and select a specific unit. Are the public lands very crowded? Looking on the wyoming fish&game site i see they have state managed "hunter management areas" are these worthwhile?
Please feel free to Pm if you would prefer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted antelope on private land. Plenty of oportunity on public. The hunter management areas are pretty good. If the opening day falls on a weekend there are some crowds, but if it is middle of the week the crowds are less. Fisrt week is best, then after that wait till the end of the season when there are no crowds.

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notlim:
...........Are there any places Canadians could hunt without a guide?

Also I never seem to see anyone raving about the merits of antelope meat. How does it compare to Moose/carobou/whitetail?

Like kudu56 said a nonresident is a nonresident the only places you need a guide is in the wilderness areas.

Areas 61 and 62 have a pretty good amount of public land. You need to apply soon. According to the Game & Fish web site the antelope applications have to be in by Mar. 15

You can check out the Game & Fish web site at http://gf.state.wy.us/

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Wyoming would definitely be a good place to go antelope hunting. We always had good luck around Elk Mountian, WY.

Some of the Farmers will let you hunt for alittle tresspass fee. We would just drive around the ranch until we had a good idea of where the antelope were holding and then stalk them on foot.

Antelope can see very well and the country is wide open so, be prepared to take a 300+ shot.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am interested in doing a do-it-yourself hunt in Wyoming. I will going witha few buddys and would be willing to pay a reasonable trespass fee. What zones would you suggest I apply for? We have never hunted pronghorn before, but have hunted deer and caribou.

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notlim:
Does anyone have any suggestions on where/who to go on an antelope hunt?

I'd suggest calling the Wyoming Department of Game and Fish, ask for phone numbers of a warden in the area you want to hunt. The warden can steer you in the right direction to hunt BLM freelance or to ranchers who are agreeable to hunters ( and ones who are not, scarce but there are a few, mostly transplanted easterners with money who should've stayed where they were ).

FWIW, I have yet to run into a cranky Wyoming landowner.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14421 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote