THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Bill would guarantee nonresident hunters 10% of elk, deer, antelope, mountain lion

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill would guarantee nonresident hunters 10% of elk, deer, antelope, mountain lion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://billingsgazette.com/lif...25-95e8e0b5a98d.html

Bill would guarantee nonresident hunters 10% of elk, deer, antelope, mountain lion or black bear tags

BRETT FRENCH french@billingsgazette.com 18 hrs ago

BRETT FRENCH, Gazette Staff

A House bill heard on Tuesday would guarantee nonresident hunters more licenses.
A bill to increase the number of some hunting licenses for nonresidents would add $147,000 in annual revenue for Fish, Wildlife and Parks, as well as pump money into the coffers of businesses servicing those out-of-staters, proponents argued during a Tuesday hearing.

“I don’t think the fiscal note reflects the true impact,” said by Rep. Kerry White, R-Bozeman, who sponsored House Bill 568.

The bill proposes to guarantee out-of-staters 10 percent of the elk, deer, antelope, mountain lion, or black bear licenses issued for those species. The measure was supported by the Montana Outfitters and Guides Association.

“This bill generates significant revenue,” said Jean Johnson, MOGA’s lobbyist. “The nonresident supports that (FWP) agency across the street,” with 70 percent of their budget coming from nonresident license sales.

FWP receives no money from the state general fund.

Opposing the measure were representatives from the Montana Wildlife Federation and Montana Bowhunters Association who argued that season setting should be done by the Montana Fish and Wildlife Commission, not the Legislature.

“Our main concern is that it is taking away authority from the FWP Commission for season setting, that’s a dangerous precedent,” said Jerry Davis, president of the MBA.

Davis and Nick Gevock, conservation director for MWF, also argued that it would take tags away from resident hunters.

“I have to advocate for resident hunters and anything that sees a decrease we would be against,” Davis said.

Mac Minard, executive director of MOGA, said Montana is in a national market to lure out-of-state hunters and needs every edge it can get to attract those people who may otherwise go to other Western states.

“I do not believe this reduces the opportunity for resident hunters,” White said. “Resident hunters have the ability to go to another area and hunt elk.”

Gevock disagreed, saying based on figures he received from FWP that residents could receive 10 fewer coveted elk tags in the Elkhorn Mountains near Helena, which is managed as a trophy elk hunting district.

The bill was amended to remove a section that would have created two archery-only subseasons for nonresident elk hunters in the Missouri River Breaks.

Information at the hearing suggested that out of 17,000 nonresident hunters who visit Montana, less than one-third use an outfitter.

No action was taken on the bill.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I don't really care what the states do about non-resident vs resident tags on state and private lands. But the federal government should require licenses and tags be issued without preference for state residency on all federal lands, even if it means that a particular state ends up issuing more tags to non-residents than residents. Again, I am speaking of federal lands only.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I well say again it is more about money than game management.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Having lived in Montana for a decade as a resident I'm all about preference for residents even though I no longer qualify. It shouldn't be all about the money ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's all Montana cares about is the money.
Not much regard for the Game it's self.

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Wisconsin. As a resident of Michigan, I have the same chance at a bear license, a preference point system, as a resident. Kudos to them!

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't really care what the states do about non-resident vs resident tags on state and private lands. But the federal government should require licenses and tags be issued without preference for state residency on all federal lands, even if it means that a particular state ends up issuing more tags to non-residents than residents. Again, I am speaking of federal lands only.

Please be careful about what you ask for. In our great country, ownership does not yet include the right to own or manage the wildlife that lives on the land. Our present system works. Do you really want seasons, bag limits and other decisions affecting hunting and fishing on public lands across the West determined in Washington D.C.? If so, you can kiss many of the hunts we now enjoy (mountain lion, bear and sheep for starters) goodbye.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Absolutely right Bill

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was my understanding it has been 10% for non residents for deer,elk and antelope for years in the general drawing.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No kidding, all about money?, that's what it takes to maintain a game dept, feed for animals, its all about money, wildlife is not self supporting.. homer

If you want to complain the complain about how all that money is spent, and that's your right.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought Boarkiller had passed on??? was that not posted here on AR? Whats going on??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Wildlife is owned by the state, migratory birds are owned by the federal government.

States Rights prevail in the management of big game species, and have since before WW2.

Anyone who is for this kind of bullshit, doesn't understand states rights.

The idea that someone would want the federal government managing big game species is a horrible idea.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

As other posts above, just think about the cause and effect for your idea for about three minutes, it's a terrible idea. Look how the EU is screwing up hunting in EU member states who have few rights fighting the elitists who set the rules. You think the past Federal administration would have done what's right for wildlife or for liberal elites ideologies?

Bottom line, if you like to hunt and don't want to have to hire outfitters just move to a state that's good for that. It's still somewhat of a free country.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bottom line, if you like to hunt and don't want to have to hire outfitters just move to a state that's good for that. It's still somewhat of a free country.

Well, taking Montana as an example, WE the people of the United States, own 29% of all the land in Montana. I don't feel that locals should have total control over how OUR land is managed/accessed.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, taking Montana as an example, WE the people of the United States, own 29% of all the land in Montana. I don't feel that locals should have total control over how OUR land is managed/accessed.

Sounds simple enough but the states own the wildlife and manage the wildlife. The areas that they manage wildlife in don't often follow Fed boundaries.
I'm a fan of little or no big Government so I definitely don't want the Feds issueing licenses and managing states wildlife, please leave that to the state to decide not some suit in DC.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They only have control over big game. Those are the rights afforded the states in the constitution.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

You win - kind of. Locals DON'T have total control over how OUR land is managed/accessed. Access (your word) is the same for everyone, Federal and State land.

States manage wildlife, that's the law. If you want Feds managing hunting you'll not have to worry about out of state hunting rights, they'll screw it up pretty quickly. Problem solved!

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Well, taking Montana as an example, WE the people of the United States, own 29% of all the land in Montana. I don't feel that locals should have total control over how OUR land is managed/accessed."

The percentage of federal land in Arizona is even higher, but it doesn't matter. Federal agencies (and not the states and local governments) already exercise total control over how federal land everywhere is managed/accessed.

In case you haven't noticed, the bureaucrats in D.C. sometimes have not been the friendliest to resident or non-resident hunters alike.

You obviously believe land management and wildlife management are synonymous. They are not. It's also obvious you believe wildlife should be linked to land ownership.

Let us all pray that never happens in America.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
"Well, taking Montana as an example, WE the people of the United States, own 29% of all the land in Montana. I don't feel that locals should have total control over how OUR land is managed/accessed."

The percentage of federal land in Arizona is even higher, but it doesn't matter. Federal agencies (and not the states and local governments) already exercise total control over how federal land everywhere is managed/accessed.

In case you haven't noticed, the bureaucrats in D.C. sometimes have not been the friendliest to resident or non-resident hunters alike.

You obviously believe land management and wildlife management are synonymous. They are not. It's also obvious you believe wildlife should be linked to land ownership.

Let us all pray that never happens in America.

Bill Quimby

You "OBVIOUSLY" don't know what the fuck I believe.'

quote:

In case you haven't noticed
STATE bureaucrats are almost UNIVERSALLY unfriendly, to say the least, to non-resident hunters, especially big game hunters.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I thought Boarkiller had passed on??? was that not posted here on AR? Whats going on??

Easy, I'm alive and well
The guy that was called hog killer went to Pig Shangri La
I'm still waiting

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
In case you haven't noticed
STATE bureaucrats are almost UNIVERSALLY unfriendly, to say the least, to non-resident hunters, especially big game hunters.

I must be lucky. I have done a bit of big game hunting in Wyoming, Utah, Oregon, New Mexico, California, Colorado, Texas, Michigan, Minnesota and Illinois as a non-resident -- as well as two states in Mexico and three provinces in Canada as an alien -- and have never encountered an unfriendly state or provincial bureaucrat.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The correct solution to the federal lands issue in western states is to sell those lands to private parties at public auction. It's absurd that 60-80% of the lands in some western states belong to the federal government.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, that is the most anti-hunting thing I have ever heard.

If the lands are sold to the highest bidder it will lock up the entire West so no one can hunt on it.

The Texas method doesn't work to grow hunter numbers when cost of hunting escalates.

Here in Europe you have the exact situation you are talking about. The cost of local hunting destroyed hunter recruitment. The middle class being able to hunt is the single more important piece of management that wildlife needs. If you leave the management of wildlife into the hands of a select few, that select few will not choose hunting as the primary management tool.

By hunters paying for management we have a voice in that management.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell the fed land to private owners? Horse shit. Live in Texas if you want, but not us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
The correct solution to the federal lands issue in western states is to sell those lands to private parties at public auction. It's absurd that 60-80% of the lands in some western states belong to the federal government.

Great idea.Then residents and non residents of those states could get to pay exorbitant lease fees in order to hunt just like TEXAS!!!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:

NEVER!

Then all the land would belong to an elite few.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Great idea.Then residents and non residents of those states could get to pay exorbitant lease fees in order to hunt just like TEXAS!!!!!

The hunting land in Texas is managed very, very well. Yes, trophy hunting is expensive, but meat hunts are dirt cheap and available 365 days a year. Compare the deer hunting opportunities in California to those in Texas to see what I mean.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:

NEVER!

Then all the land would belong to an elite few.

The lands in Texas already belong to those "elite few". They are required to pay taxes and generate a return on their capital investment. A 1,000 acre ranch might well be worth $3,000,000.00. Even a 5% rate of return is $150,000/annum after expenses, so the property must really generate at least $250,000 in revenue just to be maintained. At the end of the day a very significant percentage of land owners end up selling hunts or leasing the hunting rights.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The hunting land in Texas is managed very, very well. Yes, trophy hunting is expensive, but meat hunts are dirt cheap and available 365 days a year. Compare the deer hunting opportunities in California to those in Texas to see what I mean.

Hunting in California on public land for anything other than coyotes sucks. Hunting on private land in California is as good as any other private land hunting in America.

California has some of the best private land hunting programs in the nation. Tule elk, Roosevelt elk, Rocky Mountain elk, black bear, wild boar, mule/blacktail deer, sambar deer, aoudad, tahr, quite a variety.

one of us
posted Hide Post
boarkiller,
That's good news that your still on this side of the dirt, congrats we would have missed you!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree the feds should not have control of any big game animal, those animals belong to the states and that's the way it is, The gov. however has claim over indangerd species. and the US Forest Svce and BLm control the land, and by doing that can control the game..Then there is the wolf...The problem there is the US Fish and game flat out lied about the number of wolves they stocked..Furthermore they cannot pass math 101 in that wolves litter 2.5 times a year and have up to maybe 8 pups all of which have few and sometimes no preditors other than lions on rare occasions.. Elk and deer have one or two offspring a year, and even in the best of times one of them perish...Do the math on that and wolves will be eating kids and pets in the next generation, shades or California and the coyotes, lions, and bears..

Yep, the Gov. can mess up about anything they get involved in.

Big Government can screw up an anvil with a powder puff and do that on a daily bases.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the better solution is for the federal government to turn over the majority of those lands to the states. Then the decision on what to do with those lands could be made at the state level.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, the better solution is for the federal government to turn over the majority of those lands to the states. Then the decision on what to do with those lands could be made at the state level.

No states are stupid and greedy, and can't afford to manage public lands. They will sell them just as fast as they can to oil companies or mining companies and they will be gone forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The push to sell off Federal lands in the West in deeply misguided in my opinion. I live inside the National Forest boundary and have much, much more freedom to use Federal lands than I do with State owned or local government owned(open Space)lands. The pure volume of public access is what drew me to Colorado from the East Coast and I usually hunt several Western States each year. The last thing needed here is pay to play such as Texas has. Making hunting a rich mans game would not bode well for the future of our sport.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In Wisconsin we have about 3 Million acres of national Forest all hunt able for the cost of a license for what you are hunting.That does not include State and County forests available to anyone in the USA to hunt on for the cost of the license.I am lucky to live on my own hunting ground where I can hunt deer,turkey,bear,grouse,geese,ducks,but if I did not there are plenty places to go and hunt for free.That is why only federal ownership of lands in other states is so important.I can hunt in many states with lots of Federal and State land for what it cost me drive out lodging,food and gas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is 10% really that big of a deal? I am asking because I have no idea.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is in line with what other states do. New Mexico has a similar number.

Non-residents are a cash cow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
The push to sell off Federal lands in the West in deeply misguided in my opinion. I live inside the National Forest boundary and have much, much more freedom to use Federal lands than I do with State owned or local government owned(open Space)lands. The pure volume of public access is what drew me to Colorado from the East Coast and I usually hunt several Western States each year. The last thing needed here is pay to play such as Texas has. Making hunting a rich mans game would not bode well for the future of our sport.

I'll second that. Much of the East is pay-to-play for anyone who didn't inherit a farm, and agriculture attracts wild game in ways that open forests do not.
Communally-owned BLM land is precious and irreplaceable for hunters, and anyone else interested in a little time away from home.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived in the Mojave Desert for 3 years after having spent a year back east (after I retired from the military).

I couldn't get figure it out. You had to pay for every range day, couldn't find anyplace to hunt or shoot, or off road, or go for a drive in the country. Hell you couldn't even pull off the side of the road to pee without worrying about private lands.

Life is much better with public land.