Find
Notify
Tools

Must do things around Yellowstone...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Driving thru Yellowstone next month. Part of Idaho, West Yellowstone, Utah, Cody. What are some things you say are must do's if in the area?

I havent been to Yellowstone since 1998. We plan on for sure seeing old faithful...and the cody firearms museum. Still deciding if I want to go to Sheridan to the Weatherby plant or if it is too far out of the way

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
If you get into W. Yellowstone, check out the...

GRIZZLY & WOLF DISCOVERY CENTER

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bugle:

Spend a day fishing on Yellowstone Lake.

I see you’re from the Permian. I work down there quite a bit and have some good friends that come up here to Utah to visit me every year.

I live in Garden City. It’s a little off the path but worth the drive as you’re headed back home. Look me up if you do and I’ll show you the area.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cody museum for sure! I spent two full days there and enjoyed every minute of it.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
There are so many sights just to see in Yellowstone itself. Get on the Internet and look up the various places to go and then carefully plan out your trip. Some of my children and grandchildren did just that earlier this month and their time spent there was booked with interesting sights. One sight on the Internet list 16 specific things to see there. Check it out. tu2 In addition there is the RMEF headquarters close by, Jackson Hole, as well as the places that you have mentioned that you want to see. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You definitely want to visit the Buffalo Bill Museum, which is so much more than just the firearms museum. The Plains Indian Museum is my favorite section. Plan on at least a half day there, though you could easily spend an entire day there.

While in Yellowstone, spend a day in Lamar Valley, especially the Slough Creek area. We were there in June and saw bison, grizzlies, black bear, wolves, a badger, pronghorns, a few elk including watching a cow give birth, it’s probably the best place in all of Yellowstone to see wildlife. Be prepared for the wolf lover crowd though, there are a couple wolf packs that live around Lamar Valley and Slough Creek, and dozens of wolf aficionados there to watch them.

There’s lots of good fishing north and west of the park. If you want to fish, best to book your drift boat guide now, as they’re in demand. You’ve got the Madison, Jefferson, Beaverhead, Missouri and a couple other rivers all near the park.

Grand Teton Park should be pretty spectacular then. We saw many times more elk in Grand Teton than in Yellowstone.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
You definitely want to visit the Buffalo Bill Museum, which is so much more than just the firearms museum. The Plains Indian Museum is my favorite section. Plan on at least a half day there, though you could easily spend an entire day there.

While in Yellowstone, spend a day in Lamar Valley, especially the Slough Creek area. We were there in June and saw bison, grizzlies, black bear, wolves, a badger, pronghorns, a few elk including watching a cow give birth, it’s probably the best place in all of Yellowstone to see wildlife. Be prepared for the wolf lover crowd though, there are a couple wolf packs that live around Lamar Valley and Slough Creek, and dozens of wolf aficionados there to watch them.

There’s lots of good fishing north and west of the park. If you want to fish, best to book your drift boat guide now, as they’re in demand. You’ve got the Madison, Jefferson, Beaverhead, Missouri and a couple other rivers all near the park.

Grand Teton Park should be pretty spectacular then. We saw many times more elk in Grand Teton than in Yellowstone.

Great suggestions!September is a super time to be in the parks.

My friend, fellow photographer Margo Taussig Pinkerton

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Are these places in the park accessible by vehicle? I don't think my dad can do very much hiking anymore. But if we saw wildlife in the park that would be awesome

Any restaurant reccomendations between salt lake city and yellowstone or cody?

What is fuel availability like around there?

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Are these places in the park accessible by vehicle? I don't think my dad can do very much hiking anymore. But if we saw wildlife in the park that would be awesome

Indeed. In many cases your dad won't even have to get out of the car. Wink

If you were already there, you likely know all this, but...

Bison are over the place; give them a wide berth.The elk rut will be going on in Sept. so they will also be quite visible, especially in all the large meadows throughout the park.Most of these have large turnouts for parking. So if you see lots of cars at one or somewhere along a road, it's likely a 'wildlife jam.'

A good place for elk is right in Mammoth in front of the hotel or down the block a ways on the lawn of the little church. You'll get photos like this...

Give the elk a wide berth, as well or..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmtMJWuxp2g

Another sight to check out is Yellowstone Falls & the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. When you enter a gate, you'll get a map so you can find things.

Fuel is available outside the park in Gardiner & W. Yellowstone, and there are several fueling places inside the park at the major areas, as well.

The only place I used to eat was the Towne Cafe in Gardiner because I stayed there.It's right near the main entrance where the Roosevelt arch is. And most times, you'll see antelope right across the street. It's been many years since I've been there, though, so your mileage will vary.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Yellowstone is wonderful, especially in the fall. Most of the people are gone and it is easier to enjoy.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Cody Museum and very strongly suggest driving the Beartooth Highway. A good way to do this is to spend two days in Cody at the Museum - worth every minute - then leave early, get to Red Lodge and up the Beartooth highway. Stay in Cooke City, or drive across the North East part of the park, out Gardiner, stay in Chico, Livingston or Bozeman that night if there's no room in Gardiner or thereabouts.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Bison start pushing over towards west Yellowstone this tie of year.

if you go through Pocatello about breakfast time stop at Elmers.

Bear world is on highway 20 out of Idaho falls and is worth a couple 3 hrs. [expensive though]
you'll see everything you miss in Yellowstone, just you know before you get there.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
Prime rib dinner at the Erma in Cody is a must do and on the west side of Cody is a Place to rent machine guns and they have a Gatling gun also!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
So much to see, best of all is elk rut in park

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Maybe it has changed a bit, but I have been to Yellowstone four times over the years, three times in September after the Labour Day weekend and once in July. The fall visits were superb...lots of animals to see and next to no people.

At the lodge you could walk right up to the safety fence around Old Faithful and watch it do its thing with only a handful of other people around. The scenery was, as you would expect, beautiful with the fall display.

The July trip...I will NEVER go to Yellowstone again in the summer. It was an incredible zoo. Parking lots were packed and you had to drive around in ever deceasing circles until you lucked out on someone leaving and you could snag their spot. Old Faithful had thousands around it and when it went off it was so far away as to be completely a waste of time.

Hotel rooms were non-extent, so you better make sure you book along ways in advance if you want a room and make plans of where you plan to stay well in advance. Cody is also a zoo. I do not know if it is still being done, but there was a rodeo every night in Cody which kept things very busy there.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh,,, bring a good coat.
it's down in the mid-30's at night around here and Y-stone is a titch higher in elevation.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
You can see most wildlife from the vehicle. The museum in Cody is great as is the Beartooth Hwy. Depending on date make sure Beartooth is open before you go. It has been a hot dry year and lots of smoke from fires elsewhere. I am told park is crowded this year but have not been yet.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:

Indeed. In many cases your dad won't even have to get out of the car. Wink

If you were already there, you likely know all this, but...

Bison are over the place; give them a wide berth.The elk rut will be going on in Sept. so they will also be quite visible, especially in all the large meadows throughout the park.Most of these have large turnouts for parking. So if you see lots of cars at one or somewhere along a road, it's likely a 'wildlife jam.'

A good place for elk is right in Mammoth in front of the hotel or down the block a ways on the lawn of the little church. You'll get photos like this...

Give the elk a wide berth, as well or..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmtMJWuxp2g

Another sight to check out is Yellowstone Falls & the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. When you enter a gate, you'll get a map so you can find things.

Fuel is available outside the park in Gardiner & W. Yellowstone, and there are several fueling places inside the park at the major areas, as well.

The only place I used to eat was the Towne Cafe in Gardiner because I stayed there.It's right near the main entrance where the Roosevelt arch is. And most times, you'll see antelope right across the street. It's been many years since I've been there, though, so your mileage will vary.

If you’re in Grand Teton, there should be lots of elk visible from the road, a bit south of Jackson Lake.

The Towne Cafe no longer exists, unfortunately. It was torn down for some redevelopment. Too bad as I always made a point of eating there. The prime rib dinner at the Irma is not what it used to be. We had it in June and it was not like it used to be. BUT, the Irma is definitely worth staying at. If I was only eating one meal at the Irma, it would be breakfast. The Beartooth Highway will be spectacular in September, you definitely should take it from Cody to Cooke City. Make a reservation for lodging before you go, as Cooke City & Silvergate only have a few small places to stay. The Super 8 motel in Cooke City has the most rooms. Lamar Valley is just 30 minutes from Cooke City.

With regard to lodging in the Bozeman area, make a reservation ahead of time. We did not and everything was sold out when we were there. We had to drive several hours toward Missoula to find a room. Even Butte was sold out for the weekend that we were passing through.

September is my absolute favorite time to visit Grand Teton & Yellowstone.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time I was in the Park was in mid September. It was enough of a zoo then, I cannot imagine what it must be like during the summer. September is prime fishing time and the surrounding area is full of hard core fly fisherman. Even after Labor Day most of the Hotels stay full 'till winter sets in.

Posts: 767 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get down into Utah, I recommend driving Utah Highway 12 from Torrey to Panguich. It is a beautiful combination of mountains and desert.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
If you’re in Grand Teton, there should be lots of elk visible from the road, a bit south of Jackson Lake.

The Towne Cafe no longer exists, unfortunately. It was torn down for some redevelopment. Too bad as I always made a point of eating there. The prime rib dinner at the Irma is not what it used to be. We had it in June and it was not like it used to be. BUT, the Irma is definitely worth staying at. If I was only eating one meal at the Irma, it would be breakfast. The Beartooth Highway will be spectacular in September, you definitely should take it from Cody to Cooke City. Make a reservation for lodging before you go, as Cooke City & Silvergate only have a few small places to stay. The Super 8 motel in Cooke City has the most rooms. Lamar Valley is just 30 minutes from Cooke City.

With regard to lodging in the Bozeman area, make a reservation ahead of time. We did not and everything was sold out when we were there. We had to drive several hours toward Missoula to find a room. Even Butte was sold out for the weekend that we were passing through.

September is my absolute favorite time to visit Grand Teton & Yellowstone.

Bummer about the Towne Cafe. I started staying there in the early 1980s. Although the rooms were kind of ratty, they were cheap & also convenient for getting into the park early in the a.m. I even still have the phone # on my Rollidex so I could call to make a reservation.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for all of the responses! I am laid up in the hospital with pneumonia and other covid crap so havent been able to respond to everything, but when I have the strength I am enjoying reading what yall have wrote

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just took a guided tour through Glacier National Park, it was an all day affair but totally worth it. If Yellowstone offers something similar, let somebody else do the driving so you can absorb it all; hope you get well soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can highly recommend a drive all the way to the end of the Southfork Road south of Cody. Good chance to seen elk, mule deer, and if your lucky lots of bighorn sheep.

Second the Erma Restaurant. I have eaten there many many times and to me at least its always good!

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you everyone for all of the responses! I am laid up in the hospital with pneumonia and other covid crap so havent been able to respond to everything, but when I have the strength I am enjoying reading what yall have wrote

Get well soon! I had a horrible case of COVID last July it really sucks. Yellowstone is a magical place you'll love it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the posts!

Chuck, I appreciate that. I'm out of the hospital and back at work starting today. Wouldn't wish covid on my worst enemy. Lungd are getting stronger and lung capacity also. Lost 24 lbs in almost 2 weeks

We can't wait to go to Yellowstone and the Cody Firearms museum. Bringing the camcorder & my canon dslr...hoping to see some elk.

We were going to stay at the historic Erma hotel but they said they are renovating it, so chose a different place

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Mammoth last Fri.

https://www.facebook.com/kbzk7...eos/1235711210174540

And this is why you should give them room...

https://www.facebook.com/NBCMo...eos/1096473310886874