THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What's the Word on the .308" 150-gr. TSX?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the Word on the .308" 150-gr. TSX?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Accuracy? Performance on game? What would you not do with it?

I'm trying to get the most out of a 308 Winchester.

Thanks in advance, Okie John.

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave some of the 150 TSX to Brian Miller from Namibia in Jan of 2004 to test in his 308.

He was so pleased with them that he asked me to bring him some more to DSC this past Jan again.

Nuf said?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Do you have any reloading tips regarding the Barnes? I've tried shooting these and the accuracy has not been good, to say the least. My most recent attempt is with 180 TSX in a 300 WSM.

The only rifle I've had that would shoot the Barnes is a .416 Rigby , Ruger RSM.
Regards,
Terry

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hummmmmm...

I have done nothing special with them, but they sure shoot well for me. I try to stay about .040 to .050 off the lands, that about all.

In my 300 Win the 180 TSX is great, as well as in the 270 Win and 30-06 etc.

Remember, the new TSX is a completely different bullet than the old Barnes X, so just treat them like any new bullet and I'm sure they will soon convert you over.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

When I say I'm trying to get the most out of a 308, I mean taking larger animals than what comes to mind when we talk about 30-caliber rifle cartridges. That would include elk and the mid-sized African species out to 250m. I've stumbled across a superb pre-64 M-70 FWT, and I'm seriously considering thinning out the safe to concentrate on it. It seems like premium bullets will be part of the mix at some point, and I hear nothing but good about the TSX.

From your post, I gather that the 150's worked pretty well, but I'm unfamiliar with Mr. Miller and the conditions under which he hunts. Namibia makes me think of longer shots than wetter country. What did he shoot with them? Are they adequate for zebra, wildebeest and eland? Or just the smaller antelope?

Thanks, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John:

Would you care to write Brian Miller? I'm sure he would be gald to talk with you.

Write him at Keerwedersafaris@mweb.com.na

and look up www.keerwedersafaris.com too

Ask him the questions about Zebra, Eland etc, he will answer you .

I used to have one of those Ft Wt Pre 64's. Sold it to my neighbor,and then his house burned down and the rifle was history. It as a great shooter.

You also might think on trying the 168 gr TSX, as that gives you slightly more weight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sendero, I haven't loaded any of the TSX, but I know that the regular "X" bullets performed best for me at max velocity. That may be something to consider with your loads. Also, remember that the pure copper are longer so maybe barrel twist may be an issue. Just some ideas anyway.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John

What game you shoot with your .308/150TSX load is up to you and whoever you are hunting with.

I load 47 Gr W748 in LC74-76 cases and get 2835 ave @4700 ft alt. This was the most accurate load in my 26" bbl (700) and is seated about .090 off the lands.

Handed my rifle to a guy that kept missing Antelope with his '06 last year. He didn't hold into the wind at a facing goat @300yds. Cut a groove in the hair from the shoulder to about the next to last rib. When it hit that rib, it also took out about 6" of the spine!

They still perform the same as the old "X" bullets, it's just you can shoot them faster with less pressure, and they don't leave as much copper in the barrel.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Thanks for the link and the email address. I'll drop him a line.

Okie John

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Okie- please post results or comments from him here when you get done. Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just sent the email. Report follows soonest. Okie John

one of us
posted Hide Post
okiejohn
I have killed a lot of game with a 308.
I have used 150 to 180 grain bullets.
My favorite all round bullet weight is the 165 grainers.
I really like the 165 Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. It has worked well on game from bobcat and coyote [the bonded cores to not fragement causing hide damage] to 285 lb wild pigs.
165 and 180 Nosler Partitions have worked well also, and the 180 woodleigh soft did a great job on a Black Bear last fall in Idaho.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My email to Brian:

I post on the forums at accuratereloading.com, where a poster named Terry Blauwkamp mentioned that you've had some experience using 150-gr. Barnes TSX bullets in a 308 Winchester. He hinted that you were happy with it, but gave few details. If you don't mind my asking, have you used it on larger game like wildebeest or zebra?  If so, how did it perform? For which species do you find it a wise choice?

Thanks in advance,

His reply:

Hallo John,
I used my Barnes TSX 150 in my 30/06 and did very well. I have not tried it on Zebra, but it would do better than normal Barnes because of better accuracy. As you know nothing beats shot placement. I would use it on any of our normal plains game.

Good luck,

Brian.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Talk to Barnes. I found out that the nose profile really affects how the bullet will open up. For example, the 180 and 168 BT's have a profile that is tougher than the 165's. I am not sure what the nose of the 150 is like, but am very curious to know since I have a friend that will most likely decide on a .308 or 30-06 for Deer/Elk. If the 150's are not as tough as the 180 & 168 BT's, I would think they might do well in the .308.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote