Notify
Tools

Which Shot Owns the Animal ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkinheaver:
If I shoot a deer through the lungs or heart and it runs a little ways and I get there and some SOB is there trying to put a tag on it, it's not gonna be his day!!!

With people like this in the woods this is why I would not claim a animal any longer no matter what.

Yes Pumpkin you can have it. I will even help you drag it out. Maybe.

--------------------------------------------
I was hunting in NW PA in the 70's and a forkhorn runs by and I blast it with my 7mm RM.

Just as I finish gutting it and start dragging it a 12 pointer comes limping by. Its bleeding from its hind end and not going very well. It stops under a hemlock to stand and hide in the shade. I see a hunter up on the hill just ahead in this woodland. He is not very far away. I leave my deer and walk up to him and point out the buck under the tree right down there.

This guy is blind! He has a .22 Hornet with a 12X Weaver on it and I don't even think that he could see the tree. We just can't communicate. He won't even get up to walk down there and get closer!

I walk back to my deer and the wounded buck wanders off. Perhaps someone else got it, I hope so.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've hunted the Craig, Co, area consistently since 1978. Most of the wardens in that area would allow you to finish off a wounded animal and not have to tag it as long as you reported it immediately. Not to say that new wardens, or those brought in from other areas during the fall seasons, might not be anal in the law reading.
There have been times I've finished off other animals and deferred to the hunter who made the first shot. Again, circumstances can have an affect on the decision.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i think it should go to first blood, otherwise it would be promoting not tracking an animal because it would go to someone else. everyone one just needs to keep a level head when it comes to recovering game

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The only way that can be judged consistantly is "first Blood." It may not be fair in all cases if your talking about killing shots, but it can be determined without doubt. If you can show blood before the next hunter's shot/impact area, the game should be yours.
I would also mention that finishing off game in a compassionate manner is not regarded the same by the law as it used to be. I have no good advice on that one. You must decide and take your chances in today's world it seems.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote