New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dream Hunt!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you could sucessfully hunt and take one trophy game animal, Where and how would you take it? Of course I'd like the World record whitetail, for the money, or a Bengal tiger, but I'm talking about an obtainable hunt. My hunt would be for a big tom leopard, 40yds, over bait. I don't care where, but somewhere in the African bush. I would use my 30-06 and a good 165-180gn bullet. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bull elephant with ivory weighing over 100lbs. per side.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huntable: Gold Medal European Bison using my .416 Rem model 70.

Not Huntable: Cretan Ibex using a beat to hell surplus military mauser

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this is a DREAM hunt, I can choose anything...so I side with George...a big tusker, with a nice .470 NE double...

On the realistic side...all my efforts are geared towards Rocky Mountain bighorn. I hope to spend a week in the mountains this September, by myself. It's been my long-time dream to hunt sheep...last year I underestimated the required effort, this year I intend to be in better shape. Got the area narrowed down to two mountain ranges, more scouting should bring that down to a few peaks or valleys.

If I find and get me a nice sized bighorn, that would really be a dream come true.

The rifle...I don't care much, most likely my Tikka .300WM, though it is rather heavy...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
It changes all the time. Last year it was African Plains Game, but I did that last month and had a ball. Now I think it's free range aoudad in West Texas. I don't really know why, but for some reason they're calling to me. I'd do it as spot and stalk with my M70 .338, which worked well in Africa.

Of course, this "dream hunt" will probably be different next month. That's the beauty of a dream hunt, until the money is saved and a commitment of some kind is made, you're free to change it at will.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted twenty days, five different hunts, before I got a free ranging 29.5" with a muzzleloader. You can probably get a 250yd shot pretty easily in 3-4 days especially if you're in good shape.I don't think you need a 338, a 280-308-30-06 is plenty, but hunt with you feel most comfortable. capt david :grin

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since we are only dreaming, and don't actually have to foot the bill.... I think I'll take one of the big Argali.

In the right area, this hunt could be made from horseback, with lots of climbing and glassing in gorgeous landscapes, and the trophy is quite something.

Fortunately, there are many other hunts where the HUNT could be just as fun, at a much, much lower price. And, hey, mule der, red deer, elk or ibex trophies are also fantastic.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Quote:

.I don't think you need a 338, a 280-308-30-06 is plenty, but hunt with you feel most comfortable. capt david :grin

Well, I have a .223, a broken-stocked 6.5X55, and a .338. Of that selection, I'll take the .338. Of course, chasing them with my 209X50 Encore would be fun too. Sounds like you had some good hunts though, and a near 30 incher is quite a trophy. Unless my wife drags me off to Alaska or Canada to hunt bears, I'm holding onto my savings account to hunt Barbary sheep.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
A tiger or Karaganda argali would be my top choice, but Since they cant be hunted (or imported, a big issue with me. If I can't have it on my wall, I wont shoot it.) a takin hunt in China would be interesting and not everbody has one of those in their trophy rooms, or a hunt for the big five, with lion being at the top of the list. As of right now though, any hunt I go on is a dream come true. I'm just happy to put a new head on the wall. (my trophy room is rather small.)

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
One of two hunts (in no particular order ):

- A safari in Rhodesia. Cape buffalo and leopard. And then over to Botswana for gemsbok. With eland steaks at night, Irish whiskey around the campfire and tea with milk and sugar for breakfast.

- A horseback elk hunt in the mountains of Colorado or Idaho. With the huge canvas-sided tent and a potbellied stove. To spend all day in the saddle on a big bay gelding, glassing the mountains. Come back and sit around the fire with steaks, onions wrapped in foil and hot bread out of the dutch oven. Eggs, bacon and biscuits in the morning with jet black coffee that'll peel paint. Wrap the whole thing up by using my .338 Win to drop an elk so damn big the mount wont fit in the living room.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to go for a real oddity here. My dream would be either a Golden Takin or a snow leopard. Before anyone blows a mind bubble on the leopard, they are still taking them legally in one province of Mongolia. I'd never pull an import tag though.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
What I keep dreaming about constantly is going back to Africa for another dagga boy. It gets in your blood

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Woo Hoo! That's a lo-Hoaded question per say!

Which dream are you talking about? Monday night? Tuesday night? How about Friday night? How about I list top 5 just for variety since I've not hunted some species ever:

Dream hunt #1: rediculously huge mulie with one of my custom rifles at around 300 yards, and his legs fall out from under him and he never moves again.

#2: heavy bodied, heavy antlered, symmetrical typical whitetail, 12 pointer or more, with dark antlers (chocolate) with my Mathews bow. 10 yards or less.

#3: bull elk any method 325+ anywhere. (never hunted)

#4: one black bear (jet black), one blonde or cinnamin any methond, anywhere. (never hunted)

#5: ANOTHER southwestern Coues deer buck, rifle or bow, in Arizona or Mexico.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
WOW
I would have to say
MONSTER CAPE BUFFALO (+50" and +18" BOSSES ) in the Selou game reserve.
Charging naturaly and getting pounded with my .500 Jeffery in the brain.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunt would be for a polar bear hunted with sled dogs. After polar bear, it would have to be a hunt for lion in Africa. I would hunt both with my .378.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If you could sucessfully hunt and take one trophy game animal, Where and how would you take it?

A maneater in India (they still happen). If I couldn't do that one my second choice would be grizzly with a bow(on the ground - no tree stands).

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm,dream hunt,for me

African Lion on foot
Lepoard with dogs
and Bull Elephant,with passable tusk,then followed by the biges Buff I could find

Of course then there's always the Giant Eland,and Sable

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about bigfoot, but I dont have valted ceilings in my house

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok - hows about the idea of going way up in Northern Alberta?

Hunting with a great bunch of friends, tags for Moose, Whitetail, Wolf n Bison. A few weeks spent in a cold camp - but with all the right kit to hunt hard and relax in comfort at the end of the day.

Take any ONE of those and I will be a happy man.

What a dream!! Except my diary says that is the plan for this November........Can't wait!!

Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza
posted Hide Post
What about a nice big Bob Mugabe.

Any of you can take the trophy. It will spoil my collection.

Posts: 45 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiger for me. Especially if I could round up 50 or 100 beaters. Maybe on elephant. Ok quit dreaming and get back to work

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All you tiger guys. If you haven't, read the Jim Corbett books. The best hunting books I've ever read. Sorry Jack O'. capt david

<allen day>
posted
As far as North America is concerned, my real dream hunt is for spring grizzly. I've taken one really fine old silvertip before during the spring season in B.C., but it's still my dream N. American hunt. So much so that I've got an Alaska brown bear hunt booked for '06, plus I'm looking to book another Alaskan hunt for interior grizzly for the spring of '07. I NEVER get tired of hunting bears in the spring. They absolutely facsinate me to no end. I could spend days and days just glassing for them........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dream hunt is opening day of deer season 2005 when both my son and daughter will be old enough to hunt with me. I've made some fun trips and the good Lord willing will make more but I don't think anything will ever top the feeling of my first opening day hunting with my dad. I'll trade any hunt, anywhere in the world to share that with my kids.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wise words Jeff! My son is just 17 months old, but I sure hope I might get to introduce him to shooting and hunting, and what a thrill it would be if he took an interest and we could hunt together!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen
Is spring hunting really that much better than fall? (in almost all of eastern Canada spring hunting features way too many bugs for me)

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usama, Michael Moorer, or Hoopi at 50 yards, 470 nitro express double, one limb at a time. After that, I would love Desert Bighorn, Tiburon Island or I second or third the 100 pound Elephant.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Jeff, good reply... my son will also be old enough in 10/2005!

Any backpack/horsepack or float hunt in the Mountains of Western NA and AK is the beginning and end of my list. For me it's as much or more about the country as it is the animal. My own favorite hunt and the one I'll likely never tire of is elk hunting in our MT backyard... nothing else holds much allure for me beyond that, including Africa.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jaguar, Markhor, argali............ahh hell, put me down for D) all of the above, (worked every time in high school!)

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BONGO HHEYY YYYYEEAHHH BONGO BONGO!

Posts: 134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Just one? First, I'd really like a 140 class whitetail to sneak by my tree stand at my hunting club in SE Texas - no fences. That is indeed a deer of a lifetime.

Next, I've really got this Africa thing in my blood and I plan on taking this on in 2008. Plains game only if I have to - but - a Cape Buffalo if everything works out. I've just got to do it - I want to see him look me over just once from about 25 yards before I give 'im a barrel or three.

Finally --- in agreement with Mr. JLHeard

Quote:

- A horseback elk hunt in the mountains of Colorado or Idaho. With the huge canvas-sided tent and a potbellied stove. To spend all day in the saddle on a big bay gelding, glassing the mountains. Come back and sit around the fire with steaks, onions wrapped in foil and hot bread out of the dutch oven. Eggs, bacon and biscuits in the morning with jet black coffee that'll peel paint. Wrap the whole thing up by using my .338 Win to drop an elk so damn big the mount wont fit in the living room.

Just a couple of changes: not much of a coffee drinker (probably a Gen X thing) but Earl Grey tea would work, there has got to be some gravy with that breakfast, a shot or two of really good tequila before bed, a .300 Win Mag - since I've got one of those, and, since this is a dream hunt, a long-legged, blonde cowgirl to give me a "back rub" every night after a long day in the saddle . I think I can smell the wood smoke and hear the leather creak even now.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since it has to be an "obtainable" hunt, I guess I have to scrap my plans for Irish elk (moose) and Triceratops.

I guess I'd have to satisfy myself with an elk (wapiti) hunt in Alberta. I'd kinda like to be able to try Yukon moose and - if they ever opened a season - a woodland caribou hunt here in Ontario.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Mike, I do think that the spring season is best, especially if you want the best odds for getting a superb pelt and a really big boar. Timing is important though, and in general the earlier you can catch a bear out of the den, the better.

Yes, spring season can be "buggy", alright!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thoughts of the future,make me recall the past, and more goodtimes with good people in new country. Right now the next dream will take me back to the Alaskan Peninsula for Moose in 06, but only due to the fact I cant hunt Brown Bear again here for four years. Spring Brown Bear is a great hunt for all the reasons I hunt.

HBH