THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Maine: Hunting Preserve Legislative Hearing

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maine: Hunting Preserve Legislative Hearing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted
Viewpoints aired on bills relating to state hunting preserves
BY SUSAN M. COVER
Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel
03/05/2009

AUGUSTA -- Hunter Darrell Pardy doesn't see any difference between hunting in the wild and hunting in one of Maine's game parks.

"I've hunted all over North America," he said. "The hunting experience in parks is no better and no worse than hunting in the wild."

Pardy was one of many people who testified Wednesday at a public hearing on three bills related to big-game hunting preserves in Maine. Two bills seek to expand those operations; one seeks to shut them down.

The most controversial bill -- LD 560 "An Act to Ban the Hunting of Animals in Enclosed Areas" -- was sponsored by Rep. Alan Casavant, D-Biddeford.

He said he doesn't oppose hunting, but that he wanted to take "a moral stand" against hunting preserves.

Casavant's bill would require the state's nine remaining licensed preserves to shut down over a two-year period.

"Though I consider the shooting for hire of animals behind fences to be barbaric and designed to satisfy the blood lust of a handful of out-of-staters, I also believe that we need to be sensitive to the economic realities of those associated with such businesses," he said in testimony before the Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Committee.

Mark Drew, farm manager of the Shakaree Deer Farm and Mountain Shadows Hunting in Houlton, said the preserves give hunters a chance for a safe hunting experience.

"We have never had a hunter in 10 years that just wanted to shoot a trophy and did not care about the venison," he said.

Those who testified talked about the economic impact of the preserves, the ethics involved in fair-chase hunting and whether state regulations are too strict. The debate has not been partisan; the opposing sides are populated by lawmakers in both parties.

The Maine Department of Agriculture, which oversees the preserves, testified in opposition to the bill to shut down the businesses.

The department licenses nine facilities, two of which are inactive, said Deputy Commissioner Ned Porter.

The active facilities are in Aurora, Newport, Oxbow, Anson, Jefferson, Hodgdon and Dixmont. The preserves are allowed to raise deer, elk, boar and bison.

"Our experience has been that the animals are treated humanely, well fed and well cared for and that the hunts are also carried out in a humane manner," said State Veterinarian Don Hoenig, in written testimony.

Other opposition to the ban came from the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine and the Maine Professional Guides Association.

Supporters of the ban included Maine Friends of Animals and the Humane Society of the United States.

"Maine sportsmen need to speak up," said Robert Fisk, executive director of the friends of animals group. "Speak up that this is not Maine's heritage, not who they are, not the image they want for Maine and Maine hunting and not a practice they want to be associated with."

While Casavant's bill seeks to close the preserves, Rep. John Tuttle, D-Sanford, put forward a bill to allow a new preserve to be located in Piscataquis County.

State law has limited the number of preserves to only those established between October 1, 1999 and March 15, 2000.

Jayson Allain, of Dover-Foxcroft, said he wants to open a new preserve on 400 acres.

"Our intent is to have these animals use existing food sources in that area and only be supplementally fed," he said.

Rep. Paul Davis, R-Sangerville, asked the committee to seriously consider the request to allow a new business to open in northern Maine. "The economic conditions in our county, Piscataquis County, to be polite, are horrible," he said.

He talked of local businesses that have had recent layoffs, pay cuts and forced time off without pay.

"Folks, I would implore you and ask you to find a way," he said. "We need this sort of thing. Come up with something that will help us. We need this."

Another bill, sponsored by House Minority Leader Josh Tardy, R-Newport, would allow existing preserves to add other species of animals to their businesses.

Tardy said he wants to help a local preserve owner who would like to add bison and boar to the animals he raises for the hunt.

"Here in Maine, bison and boar have market impact and at the very least should be allowed to be harvested," he said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I live here I guess I'll weigh in: if the fenced in area is as large as the particular animal's natural range then I don't have a problem with it.

I don't know what the natural range of an elk is for instance, but I suspect there is not a game farm in Maine that currently offers that much acreage. I propose that if game farms are allowed then natural range should be the standard for which animals are kept inside the fence and which are not. In other words, if an animal's natural range is say, 5 square miles then only animals with a natural range of say, < 5 miles should be left inside the confines of the fence. That would allow for a fair chase environment to exist.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
First off, I have not nor will I ever engage in a CANNED HUNT. And that is what these places offer.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with preserve "hunts" but they aren't for me. If I got off on just the of killing animals I would have sought out a career at a slaughter house and got paid to pursue my passion in life.

And I don't care how big the enclosure is, if it is fenced and the animal can't escape then it is canned. Especial when these animals are raised there just to be hunted. They aren't game animals, they are livestock.

Here is where the argument gets simple. THIS ISN'T HUNTING, THERE ARE NO GAME ANIMALS INVOLVED HERE. You don't need a hunting license to "hunt" on any of these preserves. There are no set seasons. WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS AN ANIMAL FARM AND A DIY SLAUGHTERHOUSE.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION..... if anyone feels that hunting on a preserve is wrong, then don't do it!!

We don't need any more laws. Morally there is no difference between this and animals at a farm that end up at a slaughter house.

If you don't like it then do what I do, don't participate in it!!!!!! We don't have to go and drive someone out of business.

Just my 2.5 cents

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
I was on a fenced hunt once. It is not my game either.

I have been very fortunate. I am new to the state only lived here for the last five years. The farmers here have been very nice to me and most have allowed me to hunt. I don't always kill something but I get the opportunity to be in the outdoors hunting on my own, and that is what I like.

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I agree with you on that one. Great hunting opportunities, diverse game and reasonable fish and game laws.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote