Find
Notify
Tools

camo pattern identity?
 Login/Join

<Telly>
posted
Gents,

Have watched a couple of hunting programs where the hunting was in Texas. One was on the Nail Ranch I believe. The guides and at least one client were wearing shirts that were mostly a fairly light green in color. Not a lot of dark in the things at all. I haven't seen a pattern with so little dark shades in it. Heck, it may not be camo for all I know. Wish I could discribe it better, but would anyone have an idea of what pattern that is?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could be Bushland camo. I have a group of friends in Texas who wear that stuff. Looks like a tropical party shirt, but seems to blend in real well for them.

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
<Telly>
posted
That is indeed an excellent discription of it!!

<Flame>
posted
I hunt south Texas where there is a lot of cactus. They sell camo down there (Freer, TX)that also has cactus in the pattern. It makes for alot of green in the pattern. That may be what you are seeing.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
It may also be Brush Country which we also use a lot here. Here are links to both of them.......
Brush Country Camo Link
Bushlan Camo Link

Bob

This is Brush Country
 -

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Telly>
posted
Thanks for the info. The wealth of knowledge of the people on this board is truly amazing!!

Telly

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Telly,

Perhaps this one, which is fairly new on the scene and seemingly quite effective in the Southwest? -TONY

Truesage

[ 11-30-2003, 18:36: Message edited by: Outdoor Writer ]

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most camo just masks hunters so other hunters won't see them. I saw a site a while back, and it had two identical pictures on it. One color, one black and white of four hunters. Three in popular camo outfits and one guy wearing a bright multi-colored Hawaii shirt. He stuck out like a sore thumb in the color photo, but in the Black and white photo, while you could easily identify the human silouettes of the other three hunters, he became nearly invisible. The pattern broke up the human silouette.

After seeing that, I realize that most camo is useless, because you still can make out the human outline. It only works if you are prepared to sit in a tree stand or against a background that matches your camo so you blend in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slowhand, I think for the most part you are right. My greatest passion is archery hunting and it is there that camo is really put to the test. I have worn several different types and have been "noticed" by deer in all types of terrain. I had the chance to hunt with a friend who was home on leave from the Marine Corps this fall and he was wearing BDU's in Marpat camo. It looks silly compared to all the fancy camo in the sport shops, until he walked into the woods. The camo was good enough to let six doe walk eight feet from him while he was on the ground, and they never saw him. Looks like DoD really stumbled onto something with that pattern.

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Slowhand, you're correct... the stuff is primarily a "fashion statement" (ye-gods) for hunters. The stuff that actually works is the big pattern, high contrast stuff with "Predator" being possibly the best.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the Zebra stripe pattern is really as good as they say it is?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted the So. Texas brush about as much as anyone and I have always worn Kaki or olive colored shirts and I do as well as anyone, I understand the movement is the critter that will send a deer into the next county....

Camo has become a fashion statement and so many have bought the hype and its pushed to the limit on these ridiculas TV hunting shows where some dork whispers to the camera like he is making an obscene phone call and sitting in a deer stand, hell he could wear a tuxedo in a deer stand....
Its amazing to me how folks fall for give me your dollar....

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote