New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warm-Weather Deer Hunting Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going on five-day a boat-based hunt where I'm able to take two deer. Ice will be a long way off. The weather could be warm for part of the time. I'll be able to skin and quarter on the spot, but what's the best way to keep meat from spoiling in a remote location?

thanks,

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
The best way would to bring a large 150 qt cooler, and pack it with both block ice and dry ice. This will give you plenty of room for two boned out deer. The dry ice will keep the block ice from melting for at least 2 to 3 days, from there the block ice should keep for at least 3 days longer. Make sure it is block ice not crushed. If this isn't possible then it really depends on the temperature on your choices. Certainly skin and bone out your deer immediately. Keep the meat in a breathable game bag. Keep in the shade. You can let the meat cool at night, and then wrap it in a sleeping bag in the shade during the day. This will insulate it from the heat, but ONLY if it has a chance to cool off at night. Hope this helps

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is exactly the information I needed. Thanks!

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Another trick.....
Be sure the meat is cooled properly, then put it in a waterproof bag and hang in the water. Of course for this to work, the water has to be cooler than the air!

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okie, Carlin has the right answer. Take that big cooler totally full of Ice mixed with dry ice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote