New
Find
Notify
Tools

I went to look at the Pre 64's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went to see the pre 64 and found out he had two. Both guns were PILES of $hit. Both guns had later model winchester take off barrels. The stock had the cut out for the pre 64 barrel but the barrel did not have the "knot" in the center. The holes for the forearm screws were closed by what looked like accuraglass. The 25-06 was rusted bad, pitted bad, and when you looked down the muzzle it looked "rotted" out. The other gun was also a pre 64 but it had a winchester take off barrel that was not a pre 64 barrel. It was made into a "350 magnum"
This gun was just as bad as the other one. Rust, rust pits on the acton and bolt. The stock had shapes in it like triangles and diamonds. It looked like colored accuraglass.
He had a browning lightning that had two sets of barrels. One was a browning the other I don't know. It was in rough shape and had a cracked forearm. He had a Model 64 219 zipper. It was the best looking gun of the bunch. He also had a Browning auto 5 12 it was rough and I didn't even look in the barrel. He also had a 45 colt. It was a good looking gun but I don't know much about them and I was not interested.
As I left I offered 200 for the 25-06. He said he would keep me in mind if he can't sell them. After I left I wished I would not have offered the 200. They were crap.
Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sorry you had a wasted trip, but at least now you know and you won't be wondering.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron,
That's too bad, but if you have luck like me, you know they would've been jems if you hadn't gone.... Big Grin

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Ron:
... The 25-06 was rusted bad, pitted bad, and when you looked down the muzzle it looked "rotted" out. The other gun was ...just as bad as the other one. Rust, rust pits on the acton and bolt. ...
Hey Ron, Any chance at all you could possibly be wrong about there being even a minute spec of rust on or in them?

Not doubting you at all. It just seems that everytime I mention "rusting blue and termite food" a few of the legend-in-their-own-mind "Experts" explain very clearly that blue steel simply doesn't "rust".

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be glad to give the phone number to reach the guy if anyone would like one. I felt robbed because I spent a half a day out of my life just to look at them. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote