THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    3 inch 20 ga slug for bear protection?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 inch 20 ga slug for bear protection?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
many authoities advise a 12 ga slug for bear protection. closer look shows that a 20 ga 3 inches has the same power, what is your opinion?

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Pay:
Hi
many authoities advise a 12 ga slug for bear protection. closer look shows that a 20 ga 3 inches has the same power, what is your opinion?

I don't own a 20ga!!
good luck!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
"Slug" selection could be very important. My only testing has been "brush bucking" with the standard Foster type slugs in 12 ga.

As you know the Foster type slug is like a extreme Minne ball with a very large hollow in it. It's not just hollow in the base but the entire slug Foster slug is hollow.

Well the Foster slugs broke in pieces when just hitting live brush. All it took was a 3/4" hardwood sapling and they would hit the target in pieces! I did not test the more solid looking Brenneke. At that time the new Sabots were not available.

So I would look for or do pentration testing. Don't just shoot them into water filled cartons like I do my rifle bullets as I a comparing solid bullets to other solid bullets.

I would look for a test that simulated bone.

<1_pointer>
posted
If going for bear protection I'd use Rem. 2 2/4, a 385gr saboted Corlokt at 1900fps if you are using a rifled barrel or choke tube. If you have a smooth bore, the Brenneke Rottwielers pack quite a punch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beats your fingers, I guess. If it's what you have, test it out on some hard testing material (as previously mentioned) and find a load that works. I don't think too much of energy figures when you are trying to find something to save your life with. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
If all other things are equal, the one difference that counts to me would be projectile diameter. The only reason I carried a M97 short barrel 12 Ga for years is that I can't find it in 10 Ga. Just my opinion.

------------------
Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For awhile I was loading slugs from Ballistic Products in 3" 20 gauge, shot one through a 3" oak sapling just to see. Never shot a bear, couldn't begin to guess how that would work out in practice...

Tom

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Danny,

A friend buggered up a medium sized black bear and asked if I would help him out. I ended up shooting the very sick and angry bear going up the hill with the only shot I had, a Texas heart shot. I was shooting a
2 3/4" Remington Copper Solid 12ga. slug at about thirty yards. It just jellified a section of spine and broke the off shoulder coming to rest under the hide. Did quite a job. Here in Alaska, I live on a salmon stream and have brownies about regularly and while I grab the shotgun occasionally, I normally take the .338 as I feel a little undergunned with the 12ga.(IMO) I've only been charged by one brownie, two separate charges, all I had was my six weight fly rod. Take the largest caliber rifle you can shoot well and you'll probably never need it, but it sure gives piece of mind. I'd just as soon have my six weight as a twenty gauge. At least the six weight won't piss him off.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
ovis - What in hell's name are you doing out in a stream in Alaska with a puny 6 weight??? Don't you know those fish will take that rod away from you? An 8 weight is minimum if you want to stop those 31" rainbows and a 9 weight is what you need when those coho start attacking. Forget the slug-gun and get yourself a proper rod man.

I would also agree that a .338 offers a little more peace of mind when mama bear is interested in what you have on the end of your fishing line.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Zero Drift,

I've got some others, but the six weight is my favorite. The stream I live on empties into the salt about four miles or so downstream and I get three species of salmon,larger rod for the Kings, and a really great run of Steelhead. I've actually taken a nice King on the six weight.
My section of river opens just in time for the silvers, Dollies, and the Steelhead. As for the Bears, I guess I'll just have to Parre' and thrust. Great place, just love it.(:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi gentlemen
I shot a few brenneke slugs for testing and they penetrate nearly as deep as a 3030 with 170 gr nosler.it seems foster type slug is much more softer. brenneke loads a 3 inch 20 ga with 1 ounce slugs. if you have any experience please tell me
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ovis:

I've got some others, but the six weight is my favorite.

Ovis,
I have to admit that a 9'6" Sage is my favorite "weapon" for the Anchor River.
Can't help but think that we have rubbed elbows on the Anchor a time or two. Been going there for the "Head" since 1970. I usually carry the Redhawk .44 mag w/ 300 gr. hard cast @ 1325 fps. This load does 4" @ 25 yards for 10 rounds. Would feel more comfortable w/ the .338 but have a hell of a time mending the line with that on a sling.
As to "Zero Drift": Better up the dimensions on your Rainbow measurements. Try 31 to
40"!

best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Bearhunt'r

I'd bet we've probably rubbed an elbow or two. I run the stores at the Inn. I've been here going on four years. The Anchor is a special stream and when the upper river opens, I spend all of my time up there. Lots of fish, lots of bears. I love this place. Actually, my favorite carry is my .454 but it's too easy to start a bear protection flame here with a handgun. Hope to spend more time on Tustumena also. Fishings pretty good there too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For protection means very close range to me. I'd want a 12ga with bucksot and slugs alternately.

Not to offend, but I wouldn't dove hunt with a 20.

------------------
boman

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote