New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 Win Mag Ballistics Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on the target shooting forum and it isn't getting much traffic so I'm posting it here.

I have sighted my .300 Win Mag in at 25 measured yards and currently have it shooting 1.5" high at this distance. The loads I am shooting are factory Remington Core-Loc 180 gr @ a claimed 2960 fps. This is out of a 24" barrel, whereas mine has a 26" barrel. The scope I have is an elite 4200 2.5-10x50, I'm not sure of distance from center of bore to center of scope though.

Can anyone tell me where this bullet will strike, given the added velocity for 2" more barrel, at 100 yards? This rifle is to be used for deer at ranges less than 300 yards.

I won't be able to shoot at 100 yards before my first hunt with the rifle due to my work schedule. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 35 | Location: NC | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Call around to one of your local gun ranges and see if they have a computer program that will give you that info. A buddy took a new rifle out last week on his lunch hour here in the Dallas area and the range he shot at entered the info you've given into a program of some sort and told him based on where his impact was at 25 yards where he should dial the scope to ...and wallah! he fired 3 more at a 100 and he was dead nuts where he wanted to be. If you get desperate call the Garland Texas Public Shooting Range.Sorry, don't have the number but the Area Code is 972.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
Depending on you scope mounts you may be 3-5 inches or higher at 100 yards. With my 300 win dead on at 25 meters is about 2-3 high at 100 yards. As far as velocity, a chronography is very very sobering.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are dead on at 25 yards you should be appx. 2 to 3 inches high at 100 yards normally.
That would put your 0 somewhere around 250 yards.
You have to really be dead on at 25. 1/2" off at 25 is 2" off at 100 and 6" off at 300.

As you are aware by your post zeroing at 25 yards is pretty iffy and you should make every effort to shoot at 100 yards to check it before your hunt.
I just zeroed my gun last night in the dark by my truck headlights.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by verhoositz:
Call around to one of your local gun ranges and see if they have a computer program that will give you that info. A buddy took a new rifle out last week on his lunch hour here in the Dallas area and the range he shot at entered the info you've given into a program of some sort and told him based on where his impact was at 25 yards where he should dial the scope to ...and wallah! he fired 3 more at a 100 and he was dead nuts where he wanted to be. If you get desperate call the Garland Texas Public Shooting Range.Sorry, don't have the number but the Area Code is 972.
Ron

Thanks, I found one at biggameinfo.com that is very good. It looks as if I can sight in at -0.2" at 25 yards for a 250 yard zero.

[ 10-29-2003, 05:59: Message edited by: UNCC Grad ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the remington site it has a balistics program that will tell you where your bullet will fall at any range.

Posts: 56 | Location: freeland michigan | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 25 yard zero is iffy at best as previously mentioned because a very small error is greatly magnified at long distance.Since you don't have an exact velocity and there can be a substancial difference between published velocities and actual velocities even more error is possible.If you don't have the exact ballistic co-efficient for the bullet to be used even more error is added.Add in the fact that you don't know the distance from the center of the bore to the center of the scope and you could easily be off by a few inches at 100 yards,double that for 200 yards and triple that for 300 yards.Do yourself a favor and shoot the gun at 100 and 200 yards to reduce the chances of a miss or worse yet wounding an animal.If you don't do it for yourself do it out of respect for the game you hunt as it is our responsibility as hunters to reduce the chance of wounding an animal as much as possible.

[ 10-29-2003, 07:09: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Stubblejumper on this one. There's enough stuff that could go wrong with your gun being on at the range you intend to shoot. Do yourself a favor and don't shoot at an animal until you have a chance to shoot at that same range on paper at least once. Even canting your scope very slightly at 25 yards could have devastating results when it comes to making a 200-300 yard shot.

If it were me, I'd find a nice spot in the thick stuff to hunt and sight my gun at the longer range at lunch time the first day. Wounding an animal will put a major bummer on your trip. Good luck.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UNCCGRAD...You need a place to shoot??

Iam going to the range Sat. at Leeds, in Chester,SC. They have a nice 100yd range there.

Or we could try my buddies place in Salisbury, where we can shoot up to 350yds plus!! IF, he is at home this weekend. Let me know..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
UNCC GRAD

A 165 grain bullet is probably a better choice for the .300 Win. Mag., given the powder capacity of the case and the superior sectional density (SD) of the heavier bullet. Winchester's factory load gives a 165 grain Fail Safe bullet a MV of 3120 fps and ME of 3567 ft. lbs. At 200 yards the figures are 2515 fps and 2319 ft. lbs. The trajectory of a 165 grain spitzer bullet at a MV of 3120 fps should look about like this: +3" at 100 yards, +3.4" at 200 yards, -1.2" at 300 yards, and -11.4" at 400 yards.

According to the 26th edition of the Hodgdon Data Manual reloaders can drive a 165 grain bullet to a MV of 3031 fps with 79.0 grains of H1000 powder, and at a MV of 3207 fps with 84.0 grains of H1000. These velocities were also achieved in a 26" test barrel.

180 grains is the most popular bullet weight for the .300 Win. Mag. Winchester loads their 180 grain Power Point Plus bullet to a MV of 3070 fps. and ME of 3,768 ft. lbs. At 200 yards the velocity is 2633 fps and the remaining energy is 2361 ft. lbs.

Winchester trajectory tables show that the 180 grain Power Point Plus bullet zeroed at 200 yards rises only 1.4" at 100 yards and falls 6.4" at 300 yards. This is identical to the trajectory for the 130 grain Power Point Plus bullet in the famous .270 Winchester caliber. Obviously, Winchester's big .300 is a fine long range big game cartridge.

Zero a typical 180 grain spitzer bullet (like a Nosler Partition) at a MV of 3070 fps so that it hits 3" high at 100 yards and the trajectory should look like this: +3" at 100 yards, +3.2" at 200 yards, -1.3" at 300 yards, and -11.4" at 400 yards. This method of sighting takes better advantage of the long range potential of the cartridge.

then again look at the web sites for -
Federal, Winchester, Hornady Ammo Ballistics

whtailtaker

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska...
Good idea, that is what I intend to do. I will hunt a thick cutover the first morning and at the end of my hunt, I will set up at 100 yards to check my zero at 100.

Stubblejumper...
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I will check my zero at 100 yards before taking any shots over 50 yards.

Whtailtaker...
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna file that one on my hard drive for future reference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it and good luck! If you're hunting NC, shouldn't be to hard to find a spot with a few trees... [Wink]

I was just in Raleigh(traveling for work) and am amazed at how thick the cover is out East. Makes a guy from around here almost claustrophobic! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska...
Where we hunt is about 1 1/2 hours east of Raleigh. It's quite a hunting experience out there. You can hunt anywhere from swamps, to thick cutovers, to ag fields as far as you can see. All flat as a pancake.
If we can only get our farmers to plant something other than cotton!

BTW I got a chance to sight my rifle in yesterday at 100 yards and it's set to go at 2.5" high.

one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
UNCC GRAD
so you are going to hunt around Kinston/New Bern area-there is good hunting the Croatan

so what load did you decide on?
which brand of Ammo?

are you using a stand of ground shooting?

which scope did you get?

i guess you got a Winchester rifle-

whtailtaker

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whtailtaker:
UNCC GRAD
so you are going to hunt around Kinston/New Bern area-there is good hunting the Croatan

so what load did you decide on?
which brand of Ammo?

are you using a stand of ground shooting?

which scope did you get?

i guess you got a Winchester rifle-

whtailtaker

The area we hunt is outside of the Tarboro/Princeville area, Coakley to be exact. I will be stand hunting, some out of box stands, and the remainder out of my climber.

The rifle is a Browning A-Bolt Medallion with an Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 on top in Leupold rings and bases. I stole this rifle for $600 from a local pawn shop on consignment. The load I am shooting is factory Remington Core-Lokt 180 gr.