Find
Notify
Tools

Kenai Black Bear UPDATE
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
I'm headed to Soldotna next week for a few days of black bear hunting. My guide is off hunting caribou, so I'm wondering if anybody can tell me what I might be expecting?

I understand the bears will not be on the beaches as the salmon runs are over and the bears have moved to higher country?

Will we be in super heavy cover? Like crawling through it, or will it be long shots across canyons or on hillsides? Lots of hiking, or more glassing and stalking?

Anybody have any experience to share?

I plan on taking my .375 with 300g Barnes X bullets, and a 4X Leupold.

Thanks in advance....

[ 09-05-2003, 01:12: Message edited by: N'gagi ]

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The salmon runs are not over, silvers are still arriving in many locations. Don't discount the streams/creeks/rivers as the spawned out salmon carcasses with be present which means bears will be nearby. You will need a good spotting scope and binoculars as this will be most effective; get comfortable and watch hillsides for bears, they are difficult to spot at this time as the vegetation has grown, especially the alders [Mad] - once you spot a bear, you can then decide on how to get within rifle range. Your choice of the 375 is a bit large for black bears but be aware that their brown cousins are present in many areas. Take good bug dope and a headnet (hopefully you will not need it) and good raingear / hat. Where will you be hunting? Good luck - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMuleinAK:
Take good bug dope and a headnet (hopefully you will not need it) and good raingear / hat. Where will you be hunting? Good luck - KMule

I already packed a bottle of "skin so soft", so I'm all set for bugs (I hope). I will be hunting right out of the town of Soldotna. I am going on a company fishing trip, and have decided to kick out the extra cash to take off with a guide for two days of bear hunting instead of fishing.

It's a short trip, so the pressure is on to try and find one in that time frame. The guide I hired said we would have a reasonable chance at one, but that we would have to work hard.

I was under the impression that meant a lot of miles in the high country. He seems to be hinting at that as well. Maybe that's just the area he knows best???

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skin so soft is lame, I would recommend Ben's 100 (liquid) or Muskol in an aerosol (and a headnet) - the worst of the bugs (mosquitoes, whitesox) is over however for the slight bit of weight and size, the old saying "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" is applicable to bug protection. Hiring a guide for the short time available is an excellent idea, should get you into some bears as there are plenty available. Your guide will take you to a good area and it may possibly be up a hill side to get above the bears and spot down / across a valley. If your guide starts talking about "triple A" alders, that means you will be working / crawling through this pest of a tree / bush to make it up a hillside. You will have a good time, take lots of photos - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMuleinAK:
Skin so soft is lame, I would recommend Ben's 100 (liquid) or Muskol in an aerosol (and a headnet) - the worst of the bugs (mosquitoes, whitesox) is over however for the slight bit of weight and size, the old saying "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" is applicable to bug protection. Hiring a guide for the short time available is an excellent idea, should get you into some bears as there are plenty available. Your guide will take you to a good area and it may possibly be up a hill side to get above the bears and spot down / across a valley. If your guide starts talking about "triple A" alders, that means you will be working / crawling through this pest of a tree / bush to make it up a hillside. You will have a good time, take lots of photos - KMule

Thanks pal, I appreciate the advice. I'll follow up on the juice.

And I feel a lot better about my chances too, after talking to you.

Thanks again!

Mark

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
N'gagi, there is no high country near Soldatna!The nearest mountains are about 40 miles away by air, at Twin Lakes. There are many creeks, and lakes around it though, and the head waters of all the creeks that run into the Kenai River will have spent salmon, which draws bears. The 375 H&H is the best rifle you could take for this area, as the blacks are not the only bears there! Those big Brownies, look like a Volkswagens with hair, and those near towns are used to pepole, and are not prone to scare easily.

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a can or two of Deep Woods Off. Spray your clothes with it and hang them outside for about an hour before you go hunting. Bring along the Muskol as well. You will need it for your exposed areas. A headnet is a good idea. As is some duct tape. Tap your shirt / jacket sleeves as well as your cuffs.

Bring along an old sock (gym sock or tube sock) liberally coated with gun oil. Keep it in a small plastic bag. It is easy at night to simply take the oiled sock and give your gun a once over. Bring along a few extra plastic bags with some rubber bands. If the rain starts up, put one over the muzzle with a rubber band. If you get a shot, just ignore the bag.

Pete

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice fella's.

Anything more before I go is appreciated.

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Here's a new twist on the same topic:

I have seen people ask this question, but in reverse, and perhaps I should be smart enough to figure it out that way, but I'm not ashamed about my ignorance:

Instead of cooking up a load in cooler temperatures and going to a HOT Africa, I'm doing the reverse....

I'm in So Cal, and it's about 104 outside, and a fairly dry heat. I just finished sighting in a new load, with a new scope. A 300g Barnes X in my .375 with a fixed 4X Leopold, and I'm headed off to Alaska on a bear hunt next week...

Can I expect much of a difference in trajectory if the temperature is 80 and drizzly?

Just curious.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N'gagi:

I have seen people ask this question, but in reverse, and perhaps I should be smart enough to figure it out that way, but I'm not ashamed about my ignorance:

Instead of cooking up a load in cooler temperatures and going to a HOT Africa, I'm doing the reverse....

I'm in So Cal, and it's about 104 outside, and a fairly dry heat. I just finished sighting in a new load, with a new scope. A 300g Barnes X in my .375 with a fixed 4X Leopold, and I'm headed off to Alaska on a bear hunt next week...

Can I expect much of a difference in trajectory if the temperature is 80 and drizzly?

Just curious.

I just ran some numbers. I assumed you will sight in at 200 yards. The temperature difference has little impact. The cooler temp moves your Point Blank distance from 272 yards down to 271 yards. At 104 degrees, your bullet will drop -7.89 inches at 300 yards as compared to -8.03 inches at 80 degrees. If the temp where to drop to a mere 10 degrees, your 300 yard drop would be -8.55 with a 200 yard sight in.

Pete

[ 08-21-2003, 18:02: Message edited by: Quail Wing ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N'gagi:

Just curious.

It will be 40-60 & drizzly & sunny?? [Razz]
The Mountains are 40 or 50 miles away, an hour drive.
Cooper landing or Skilak Lake or Tustumena Lake are my first choices [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Good luck!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everybody who gave me advice before my trip. Here is the report you asked for:

+++++++

After a 4:00 am check in, six and a half hours in the air, and a three hour drive from Anchorage, we arrived in Soldotna. We had a small side trip, as I bought something off the AR classified page and I met the seller in a parking lot outside town.

Transaction was smooth, and the guy was waiting when we got there. AR members are the best, are they not?

By the time we were checked in and made dinner reservations, I went out to the local hardware store to buy my hunting license. They were sold out, so I went to the Fred Meyer store, which is like a Wal-Mart, and got it there. The license was $85 and the tag was $225. Interesting note: no sales tax, no income tax and tags are free to residents.

After a dinner of seafood platter, I hit the rack at 10:30 and was ready at 5:00 am when my guide arrived. He was driving a big Ford F250 with a wooden hulled Zodiac in the back. After intros, we loaded my stuff and drove 2 hours to Homer, AK, where we were to unload our gear and the Zodiac onto a 38 foot cabin cruiser for the trip up Kachemak Bay to Bear Island, and Bear Cove.

We arrived there in a pea soup fog, but no rain, and an air temp of about 60F. After several weeks of 105F, it felt really nice. The bay we anchored in was about 60 feet deep, glassy water, and surrounded by steep hills and pine trees. Very pretty. The plan was, that we would slowly patrol the beaches nearby from the skiff, glassing the shore for bears feeding in the tidal pools. We did this for about an hour, when we arrived at Bear Island. Once there, we pulled up to shore and tied up the boat, and proceeded to make our way around the island. It was about eight miles all the way around. We carefully stalked the beaches, glassing over the rocks and into the tree line as we picked our way along. The beaches were covered in bear sign, and droppings.

After making our way about 3/4's of the way around, and checking several small side canyons full of berry bushes, we came to a rocky section where the tide had come up and cut off our progress. We proceeded to work our way back from the direction we had come, and found ourselves cut off that way too.

Climbing over the slippery rocks in rain gear and rifles, and walking in the wet off camber gravel for several hours had pretty well kicked my butt, when my guide said, "Well, looks like we'll have to go over the top."

I don't think I said anything, but he could see the look on my face, and said, "I wish I could just leave you here and go get the boat, but the water will be up past here by the time I get back. Besides, obviously, the bears are up high, so we need to go up anyway."

The going was very steep and slippery and wet. I found myself actually clawing into the soil to pull myself up some places and kicking in toe holds in others. Most of the vines and branches had fine little, hair-like thorns. In a couple places, he took my rifle and gave me a hand up, and in others I held his foot so he could reach up to a root to pull himself up. It was the hardest physical labor I have done in a decade.

Just when I thought I couldn't go any further, we'd crawl up to a wide trail, covered in grass and see tracks and a big berry laden turd, and I'd get excited again. We'd stop and have a drink of water, and then start off again. At was close to 7PM when we finally made it down the other side to the waiting skiff. I was soaked to the skin and peeled off all my jackets and rain gear and enjoyed the cold breeze as we motored away from Bear Island. I was disappointed that we didn't see anything, but felt pretty proud of myself for making it over. He kept apologizing, and saying he has never drug a client up that before, but he knew I could make it, and he was sure we'd see a bear.

About a half hour later, we pulled up to a shore line where a river spilled out into the ocean. We tied up the skiff and walked the shore, up to where the spruce trees where super thick. We saw a HUGE set of tracks and a humongous turd with lots of grass in it. He said the tracks looked like a brown, but the grass made him think it might be a BIG blackie. Just in case, he shucked a round into his shotgun and told me to stay right behind him. We crept through the trees following the tracks for about a half an hour when he froze dead still. He didn't move, and I could sense something was wrong.

I strained my eyes to see what he was looking for, but this side of the island we were on was in the shade, and the leaves were very thick. Then I spotted a huge brown mass, not fifteen feet away. For the first time I can remember, I actually felt a tinge of panic. I was honest to god shaking when I saw something move a foot or two to the left and higher. Then the mass began to take shape, and I realized we were standing next to a big cow moose. After she took a couple steps, we saw right behind her, her mother who was even bigger! We stayed stone still until they had moved off.

After they were gone, we both let out a breath, and I said, "good god, I thought that was a brown bear for a minute." He chuckled and said, "trust me. Momma could have killed us just as easily. They don't like people messing around their calves."

By the time we got back to the skiff it was close to 9PM, and I was dead on my feet. We motored back to the cabin cruiser, and climbed aboard. It felt so good to pull off the rain gear, sit down, and kick off my boots and take a breather. He fired up the stove while I cleaned and oiled our guns, and tuned in the public radio station and listened to old recordings of the Grand Ol Oprey from the 1940's out on the deck in back.

While he was frying up the caribou steaks, I dropped a line over the side and jigged up a few sculpin off the bottom.

We had a nice dinner of steak, garlic bread and banana bread and milk. I was really looking forward to an ice cold beer after all that work, but as he said, "I didn't know you from Adam, and the last thing I wanted out here was a mean 6'7" drunk with a gun...but now that I know you, I wish we had some too!"

I was too tall to sleep on a bunk under the deck, so I slept up top, and he slept down below. It was about 10:30, and was still light enough that there were no stars out yet. I took all of two seconds to fall asleep.

We got up at five, fried some eggs and hit the water before six. We went back to that river bank, but on the opposite bank, and worked our way up river. We soon found a muddy bank, covered in fresh tracks, and could see in the hip high grass that the bear has passed through here just a few minutes before, as the dew was rubbed away, and the grass matted down. We had the breeze in our favor and followed the trail through the grass for an hour or more. We actually found a still steaming pile of mushy poop, and knew we were right behind him.

The going was super slow as the ground was marshy and we were trying to be quiet. Also, the whole area was criss-crossed with fallen longs, but you couldn't see them, you had to feel for them with your boots. It would make great training for an Olympic hurdler. My legs and hips were aching from stepping over these slippery things, and a few times I just sat there straddling the thing while I caught my breath.

We followed this trail for five miles and we finally lost it when it came to a big rock slide that bordered a massive wall of bushes 20 feet tall and miles and miles deep. We tried to find where he went in, but couldn't find anything that looked fresh. Deciding that we would probably have a hard time packing everything out in time anyway, we gave up, and hoped we'd see something on the other side on the way back.

By now I had given up on keeping my boots dry so I just waded out through the water and we worked our way back, spending lots of time glassing. When we finally came to the bluff that separated the river bank from the ocean I was hammered and ready to call it a day. It was only 3:30, but we still had four hours of traveling, plus cleaning up the gear, and loading his truck, and I needed to be back in Soldotna by 9:00. When we came up over the top of the bluff, I couldn't believe my eyes....the tide had gone out, and the skiff was sitting on the rocks 400 yards from the water.

We looked at each other, and walked to the skiff, deciding that the best bet would be to take everything part and carry it to the shore, and then come back for the skiff. After moving the 10 HP motor, gas tank, tool bags, back packs, rifles and oars to the water line, we picked up the 500 pound skiff and carried it 15 steps and sat it down. We did this over and over until we got to the water and were able to load up and motor off.

We ended up packing up and pulling out as soon as we got to the big boat, and I washed the pans and stuff while he drove us back. On the way he was watching the depth finder and spotted a nice underwater bank that he thought might hold some halibut, so we stopped for just a few minutes and managed to jig up three nice halibut to fillet. We motored on to Homer, got the boat stowed away, transferred the skiff and the gear to his truck and drove back to Soldotna, me sleeping a good part of the way back.

I didn't get a bear, but I had a great time, made a new friend, and he promised to send my halibut fillets along with an Alaskan fish and game sampler of moose steaks, caribou steaks, salmon and bear steaks. I lost about 10 pounds over the weekend, and I'm sore as hell today, but what a great experience in backwoods Alaska. I'm looking forward to next year, and I'll definately allow more time!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
N'gagi
Thats a great story! That is something I came back with when I returned from my August AK Caribou trip, I felt like I had been on a hunting trip.
When I came back from S Africa I told everyone I would not return until my butt felt better, after the plane ride. But the next Alaska trip was being planned on the way home!
Thanks for the story. Shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great story! There is nothing like hunting black bear along the coast. K mule and I had a great hunting trip in june to PWS. Lots of rain,but none the less a good trip. Took a shot at a 6 footer after about a 500yd stalk,missed him clean it was still fun though. Hoping to get back to Alaska spring after next for some more hunting! Brings back good memories.

Posts: 221 | Location: Back in Alaska where I belong | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanna go!! How about PM me with the vital stuff?
Thanks!

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote