New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piebald Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know anything about piebald deer?Do piebald deer happen in every state and area?What area produces the most?Are they like 1 in ever 100,000 animals rare?Are they a product of overpopulation and in breeding?I see a few every year in the hunting magazines,but not many at all.Maybe they are just a mother nature trick?They sure are pretty animals never the less.Do other deer species have pibalds also and do mule deer realy breed with whitails sometimes?I always thought that cross breed deer was a joke and fable.How can a whitetail breed with a mulle deer!!!!!Thats crazy,like there isnt enough white tail bucks to get the job done,that the mule deer have to take up the slack!Yea right!!Cross breed deer! roflmao

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
blackbearhunter,

I'm from New jersey, I mount a few every year, Pie balls that is, I've shot one myself, I'm looking for the photo right now. I have 3 in my studio I'm mounting life size. I'm not sure how rare they are in all states, but NJ I see them off and on, by no means are they common. Yes, they are a product of over population, I got that right from the fish & game dept. I know New York has a herd ofwhite deer, up by the finger lakes, they aren't albino there just white. Albino has the pink pigment, (pink eyes, pink nose, etc.)
Albino is rare, very rare.

As for the Mule deer and whitetails cross breeding, I never believed they did, until I was hunting in Melstone, Montana. I saw, Quote: Mule deer with whitetail anlers, no black tip on the tail, and they ran like a white tail. the guide said they were cross breeds. So go figure!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a piebald about 20yrs.ago that was absolutely beautiful.I got him mounted and he is one of my favorite trophys.He had a 7-point rack and was striped up with white strips like a zebra!That is the only one i have ever seen in the wild.I did see a monster boone and crockett pie bald in the north american white tail magazine.They thought it was a world record for the piebald buck.I always thought they were a really rare trophy to harvest!i wonder if the other species like-elk,moose,pronghorn,muledeer,blacktail,fallow,axis,caribou,Red stag,couses,etc.have piebalds as well?Lets take a head count,if anyone has ever harvested or seen a piebald while hunting,chime in and tell us about it?They are really not talked about very much to be so mysterious and elusive.I all ways hope to see one!
Thanks

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've got a fair number here,very localized.Maybe a 5 mile radius.Saw a roadkill Sunday that was maybe 80 white.MISSED a piebald buck a few years back with the bow (at 12 yds-don't ask!) Wife killed a piebald spike last year.Also saw a decent 7 pt BEFORE the season,at night,etc.NEVER while hunting.Was also a button that year,making 3 at once.Most of them here have the typical problems associated with piebalds-goatheaded,shortlegged,knobbykneed.I don't believe it's related to overpopulation.HAve always seen a few around here,even when deer numbers were way down.Just think it's recessive gene linked,and the gene is present in a significant percentage of the local population.Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveP:
...Also saw a decent 7 pt BEFORE the season,at night,etc.NEVER while hunting...
A few in the both Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida that I've seen.

The quote by Dave reminds me of a Piebald that was about 90% white, that grazed in a field across from my home near Ninety Six, SC in the late 1980s. He would feed in a fine clover field just before dark most of the year.

The day Hunting Season opened, I did not see him until after Hunitng Season ended. I really figured someone had taken him, but he eventually showed back up.

Lots of hunting in that area, but either no one saw him during the Season, or they decided not to take him. Rack was knarly, but a solid 7-pointer. There were also about 6 Piebald younger deer that frequented that same field. Obviously the old boy was well thought of by the ladies.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of them all over the midwest, but never seen one personally. Some guy shot one about 20 miles north of where we were hunting in Wisconsin last fall. Everyone was talking about it.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Here's a new one, "Piebald Groundhog" I'm not kidding, I just remembered a groundhog I shot a few years ago, had alot of white in it, the head and face had the most,

I had the skin tanned, plan to mount it for myself one day. I'll try and find it, take a picture of it, then post it here..

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote