Find
Notify
Tools

California Trophy Hunt...what?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
I've got another year left here in California and am interested in "one good hunt" that will give me a good opportunity at a California memory for the wall. Any suggestions?

I'm considering free range spot-n-stalk wild boar, color phase black bear over hounds, or California quail. Quick delivery to the taxidermist in hope for delivery/completion before I leave here in Summer 2012.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
California Bighorn

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Maybe a hog hunt with Kyler Hammond?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
How about a blacktail/hog combo in wine country?

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
A good bear.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Have you considered getting a PLM tag and going hunting for pronghorn, elk or deer on a private ranch? The PLM (Private Lands Management) program is unfamiliar to many people, but offers some outstanding hunting on private land, with a guaranteed tag and a sesson that the landowner sets. A friend of mine once purchased a PLM pronghorn tag and asked me to take him out, since he is elderly. We had a grand hunt and he shot a nice buck. He had the option of hunting a full week before the state season opened, which would be a nice advantage. Contact DFG and they'll send you a list of participating landowners.

Posts: 3915 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some MONSTER black bears live there

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Have you considered getting a PLM tag and going hunting for pronghorn, elk or deer on a private ranch? The PLM (Private Lands Management) program is unfamiliar to many people, but offers some outstanding hunting on private land, with a guaranteed tag and a sesson that the landowner sets. A friend of mine once purchased a PLM pronghorn tag and asked me to take him out, since he is elderly. We had a grand hunt and he shot a nice buck. He had the option of hunting a full week before the state season opened, which would be a nice advantage. Contact DFG and they'll send you a list of participating landowners.

I had no idea at all that this existed in Cali. No idea at all.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I've got a distant vague memory of landowners up in Potter Valley Mendocino County getting landowner tags some 20 years ago to take introduced tule elk feeding in their ag lands? Don't hold me to it, I just sort of remember something like that.

I think a trophy blacktail buck is a very fine hunt. I'd recommend a northern CA hunt with a landowner tag on private land and I believe there have been reports posted on AR of such a scenario.

I'd imagine elk, antelope and certainly bighorn would be very expensive. Private land trophy blacktail should be spendy too but I'd guess not so much.

Posts: 9492 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bradking1
posted Hide Post
BIG blacktail

Posts: 403 | Location: SW IDAHO | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The PLM tag idea sounds interesting. I'll look into it.

Kyler Hammond was recommended elsewhere as well.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you havent done a Wild boar hunt, they have some great hog hunts in your state.
Kyler H. has a very good name out there.
Dont use the guy I used who ran to North Dakota with my deposit.
Good Luck,
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote