Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures, back from taxidermist
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I just got these back. Sorry if some are blurry, must be something wrong with the camera as it didn't used to take any blurred photos. These deer are not monsters but I killed them on my own, and they are simply pretty deer. It's hard to find a taxidermist that knows how to mount a good mulie IME. They fell to the TSX. The first one is my first mulie. I had him mounted on a whitetail manikin but the head is changed out with a McKenzie Mule deer head. The manikin is a Joe Coombs wall pedestal. The taxidermist lengthened the neck about 1" for good fit and built up the brisket to match a mulie's.

The one with the habitat is my little WY deer I got in the last 5 minutes on the last day before I drove to CO. This is a standard upright McKenzie mulie manikin converted to a pedestal, and since there was extra cape, he added foam to lengthen the back. I like how creative this taxidermist is.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I like how the ears are back as though he is about to "bust" you--only he was a bit to slow on the draw....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Actually, both deer have their ears in the exact position as they did when I pulled the trigger. I have them mounted like that sometimes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I like the way that fits in the corner. It looks like a comfortable (almost end tableish) atmosphere.

And you are right, they may not be perfect, but they sure bring a lot of pride when you do it yourself. I have the same feeling for my Mississippi 6 pt. that I got over X-mas.

Thanks for sharing.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your taxidermist forgot to paint their nostrils, or, your mounted deer have a problem with huffing paint.

MG

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yep. I noticed that too. Those deer seem high all the time. I spoke with him about the noses already. He's painting a batch this Friday and will be doing touch up on these.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Those are trophies to be proud of!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308sniper
posted Hide Post
Nice mounts!

PETA: people eating tasty animals

Posts: 46 | Location: VA | Registered: 12 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Doc, very very nice. Enjoy them everytime you cast a glance their way.
cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote