New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best deer bullet for .243
 Login/Join

<heider>
posted
I will be hunting varments out west this fall with my .243. I know it is a tad small for the Mule deer and whitetails but it's all that i'll have so what is the best bullet? I an considering the 85 partition and the 85gr xbt or even the 100 gr sierra game king. Any comments and experience with these?

<ringneck>
posted
I have used the .243 and while it works with proper shot placement I prefer a larger caliber. If I had to use the .243 I would use a 95 or 100 grain partition or another premium bullet. The extra weight will help with penetration . Others prefer lighter bullets for deer in the 6mm but I would stick with the heavier ones especially for large deer.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by ringneck (edited 01-08-2002).]

<Big Stick>
posted
85gr XLC. Stellar,would be a gross understatement..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a good 100 grainer, no question about it.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
The absolute best deer bullet I ever used was the 90-grain Remington Corelokt developed for the slow twist of the .244. Picture perfect performance over a wide variety of impact velocities. However you can't get that bullet anymore, they dropped it when a lot of folks discovered they could shoot 100 grain bullets in a 1 in 12" twist.
Of all the bullets I tried, the 87-grain Hornady came the closest. For some reason, that I can't understand, the 90 grain Speer didn't expand as much or penetrate as far. I have taken whitetail and mulie bucks with these bullets and never felt the need for anything heavier or of better construction. The largest I shot with the 90-grain Remington weighed 206 after the diaphram and associated organs were removed. Which ain't bed for a California deer.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I like the Barnes X in 85gr and the Hornady 100gr SP flatbase for Whitetail.Both will put them down where they stand. I have not hunted Mulies with this caliber but wouldn't be afraid to use the same.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Gentlemen,
My choice would be the 95gr Nosler Part. A well-constructed bullet, it brings out the best in any caliber as a big game bullet. What more could a hunter ask for? sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do as I'm doiing and choose the 100 grainer which suits your rifle and hunting ground best. For short range, there's not a lot to criticize round noses for.

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allthough I haven't shot anything as big as a mule deer I would second Pete and say that the RN 100gr Hornady is good on whitetail sized deer.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken a few whitetails with the 95 gr. partition. Though there was generally not large exits, penetration was always complete, even through the shoulders.

And it did essentially the same thing to the vitals as my .270.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my wilder youth I used the 85 grain sierra HPBT a lot on Wyoming mule deer. I always shot carefully and quick kills were the rule. The 87 grain Hornady was just as good and seemed to penetrate a bit better. I also used this rifle for coyotes and the hornady left smaller exit holes. Way back when a coyote hide could fetch as much as 135.00.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<RAG>
posted
No contest - the X-bullet. I disliked the X-bullet at first because it is kinda finicky and it causes substantial fouling. Think about it, the X-bullet retains virtually all its original weight while other premium bullets strive to retain 60% of their original weight; given this, a 140 grain led core bullet of a given caliber would be lucky to retain 80 gains of weight after impact. Go with with 85 gain xbt and never look back. I can consistently place 10 shots in sub half-inch groups at 100 yards with my .243 but initial load development yielded groups in the 1 and 2 inch range before finding the best powder combo and seating depth. Seating depth and a squeaky clean bore are essential to accuracy.

<Reloader66>
posted
I think Speer makes a 105 gr. bullet for deer in 243. I used them back in the mid 70's while deer hunting in W.Va. They performed very well for me. I harvested six bucks with that bullet, all one shot each.