THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Any problems with 150 SST in 270Win. for elk?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any problems with 150 SST in 270Win. for elk?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
Hello, Could anyone think of why one couldn't have good to excellent results using the 150SST in a 270Win. on elk, if placed away from the shoulder of course? Would Hornady recommend such a bullet for elk? Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again?

a little light, but....
it will kill when placed properly.

smallest I like to go is 7mm at 175gr, for cows or spike, if I am after a mature bull, a 338 WM at 250, I like to have enough gun for all occasions.
[Wink]
I'm sure you will find people that will tell you that a 270 is too small, some may even scream it(do a search) but good luck.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I've only used SST bullets on deer. It's my impression that they're Hornady's response to Nosler's ballistic tip and for that reason I'd not use them on Elk. I'd opt for a bonded bullet or a partician of some kind.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Jay, I guess my response is "why"? There are so many good bullets out there, why risk compromising your hunt because of a bullet that may be ok w/ perfect shot placement. I always assume the worst possible shot presentation & wnat a caliber/bullet combo that will finish the job. If you want to use a .270, then go for a super premium bullet, you'll need the penetration, even on a broadside shot @ a big bull.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The plain old 150 gr Hornaday Interlock SP in the 270 is a way better bullet for elk. I would just load some Nosler Partitions of if the shoot well enough in your 270 a 140 gr Fail Safe. Elk hunting takes to much time and lot of money these days. Those SST's or what ever is not how I would go with the 270 or any other cartridge.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Jay, I've used the 150 gr. SST's (in my 308) on several animals including whitetail, blackbuck and axis and I love them. I'd really consider something else for a dedicated elk hunt though. They work really well on the lighter game but I'd be a little worried about having them stay together on an elk. Even on light game you get really rapid expansion with the SST's which is why I think they work so well.

Having said that, if I ran across an elk when I had SST's loaded I'd probably still try it, go for a heart lung shot and try to avoid the major bones. I used a Remington Corelokt on an elk last year but it was a 250 gr. in a 338 Win.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Jay, I'm with fredj . . . why??

Go to: Nosler Seconds

Get a bag or two of Nosler Partition Gold Moly Free 150 grain 270's for $12.95, then go Elk hunting. If all a bull will give you is a quartering shot, shooting that Nosler will really improve your confidence if not your chances.

These bullets really shoot in my 270s. I bought a lifetime supply.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,

I second the posts about going to Nosler Seconds.
You don't even have to go with the partition gold, just get a regular old partition. I am partial to the 160 SSP myself.

However, based on experience with the Ballistic Tip in 30 caliber ( 165 grain, 30/06) loaded to a paltry 2250 fps at the muzzle, took a cow elk in Montana in January 2001 at 175yds. Was out hunting with a 16 y/o nephew, and as most kids his age, he left the 200 grain loads I made up for him at home, even tho we asked him 10 times before we left if he had all of his stuff, including his ammo.

150 miles from home, he gets out of the truck and says he forgot his ammo. left in his pack, was some 165 grain Ballistic Tips loaded for him when he was 12 for deer hunting when he first got his 30/06, loaded at 30/30 speeds.

Broad side shot of a running cow elk at 175 yds, the cow went 50 yds, and collapsed. It hung at 405 pounds by Montana Fish and Game. They figured it weighed about 650 on the hoof. The Ballistic Tip, penetrated behind the shoulder, took out both lungs and the liver, and was bulged on the off side under the hide.

Needless to say, it is not suppose to do that, because everyone says so. However, guess the bullet and the rifle were not listening to everybody and just did their jobs.

Boils back down to shot placement. Oh it did break a rib going in. From the damage the bullet did when I showed the kid how to gut the thing, I can't call the Ballistic Tips performance a fluke. Just reporting what I saw.
Draw your own conclusions, by Lucky shot is not one of them.
[Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought some 150/SST's and am anxious to try them in my 06. I will use 200 Grand Slams for elk hunting.

I don't see why you would have problems as a lot of people here in MT use 243 and 25-06 (on elk) all the time with factory ammo. I shot a spike once with my 308 and 150/Interlocks, no problem at all.

As long as you are confident in your shooting, you should be fine.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,

Would have to agree with most if this is for a bull. I am cow hunting this year and want to take my 7mm-08. I asked this same question and Hornady said the 154SST would be fine for cow, but recomended the 162SST for bulls. I imagine that the SD of the .270 150SST must be the same or better than the .284 154SST. Depending on powder you will get about 90fps more than me so it should be just fine for cows. If it were me on a bull hunt I would go with one of the tougher hunting bullets.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sea, the BTs worked fine because the vel. was low. & the bullet relatively heavy. Jack those up to 3000fps & you probably blow it up on the rib going in. The elk will still die but you may be in for a tracking job. Glad you hear it all worked out well.
Proper tools for the proper job. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have recovered a few ssts and DO NOT trust them. i think they expand much to fast esp. on elk size critters. even on up close deer i would be nervouse. if you have to have a poly tipped bullet go with nosler's accubond. my tests have shown about the same weight retention as partitions but with that super sexy b.c.. for elk i would choose any of the main stream well constructed bullets, partition, barnes x, trophy bonded, on and on. good luck!

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From your question I gather you are aware of the limitations of your bullet of choice.

I have no personal experience with .277 SSTs but due to what I have been told I would guess they fall between the 165 and 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip fired from .30-06 or .300WinMag on game. Using your criteria from your question regarding shot placement, I would have no doubt with the NBT180 from my .300WSM on elk and might use an NBT165 if that is what my rifle preferred.

Just do not get over-excited as an elk becomes available and hit the shoulder or forget to wait for a broadside shot.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes X
Nosler Partition
Winchester Failsafe
Swift A-Frame
Although these will likely be slightly less accurate, they will penetrate from odd angles and limit all second guessing...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SST's have had mixed reviews on just about every shooting forum and are somewhat suspect.

If you're dead-set on a 150 gr plastic tipped bullet then go Ballistic Silvertip, it's got a little tougher jacket and harder core then the regular Ballistic Tip as stated on Nosler's web site.

Not plastic tipped but still in the 150gr range, are the classic Round noses. Long known as Moose and Elk busters, they hit like a Freight Train.
If you think you need something with a higer BC then go a Spitzer or spire point type bullet.

If you're shooting regular 270Win with nominal 22", 24", or even a 26" barrel, your not going to reach hyper-velocities of a magnum. You'll have a hard time "Safely" reaching 2950fps @ the muzzle, with a 150 grain bullet, I see no need for a expensive premium type bullet.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Marsh Mules recommendation of a good old Round Nose. However, Sierra and Hornady have dropped their 150 grain Round Noses, because they just don't sell anymore. People want something new and trendy, instead of something old that works, and has worked for a long time.

Fred338. I know that the Ballistic Tip worked because the velocity was down there. I have noticed in testing them, that the difference in performance at below 2700 fps in any caliber is a lot more terminal than above that muzzle velocity. However pointing it out, I sure endured a massive amount of flack from a lot of our resident " Experts" in here, because my tests differed from what the books on their shelves and the magazines in their bathroom next to the toilet indicated.

Of course, I am one who likes to see things with my own eyes, instead of taking someone elses word for it. Particularly when that word is more orientated to selling product than actual real world performance. However, I am a sales and marketing guy, so I can understand their need for reporting on the new products. It is what keeps the market moving and the industry in business. Create a problem that does not really exist, so you can have a solution available for it, and convince the unknowning with money that they need to buy something New.

Keeps the economy moving. Keeps our bullet and rifle manufacturers in business and that is a good thing.
[Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I think the poly tipped bullets are fine for deer, but the only way I would use one on an elk is if were a bonded type and even they would NOT be my first choice, especially with something small and fast as a 270. Like mentioned above, your better off with a plain old interlock.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my fifth bull elk with 180gr ballistic tips out of my 300ultramag(3400fps at muzzle)on friday.As with the last four elk and two large bull moose bullet performance was satisfactory even with the high velocity.That being said if the accubond was available in 180gr-.308" I would give it a try.As for the 270 I was told by a rep at nosler that the smaller caliber ballistic tips are not built to be as tough as the larger calibers.Combine that with my feeling that the 270 is on the small side for elk in the first place and I would be uneasy about using ballistic tips of this caliber.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<tasunkawitko>
posted
my opinion is that it is the right weight, but the wrong bullet style.

a soft-point or round nose would punch through any bone encountered (including ribs), magnifying the possibility of a clean, one-shot kill.