THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Western New South Wales Big Bore pig hunt

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western New South Wales Big Bore pig hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
Big Bore pig hunt - Western New South Wales

Mike's thread organising a pig hunt in California was a brillant idea.

I want to organise a big bore hunt to hunt pigs in Western New South Wales for mid next year (probably June).

Anyone on this board interested?

If so post away and if there is real interest there's plenty of time to organise it. Preferably big bores 9.3 mm and larger.

There is also a thread on the African Big Game Hunting forum http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004616

[ 08-19-2002, 16:26: Message edited by: NitroExpress.com ]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

How about some details? I assume we fly to Sydney, then fly/drive to the interior?

What are the impediments to bringing guns and ammunition into Australia (other than the airline restrictions)? Are permits required? Visas? Any restrictions as to type of firearms (handguns, semi-autos, pumps, etc.) or ammunition (hollow-points, restricted calibers)?

What costs are involved (beside airfare)?

TIA,
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
George

Just looking for interest at the moment. Nothing at all concrete yet.

But as for cost. The hunt will be self guided. The cost of the property won't be much, from nil if we line up a property one of us may have access to, to not a lot, if we access a property through a hunting property agency. Will look at the dollars very soon. The consultants fees will be very high though [Big Grin] (joke)

Getting to the property will depend on where people are starting from. I will be starting from near Adelaide in South Australia and will drive a Landcruiser. Passengers are welcome if they start near me. Other hunters would depend on where they start from. Several interested hunters would probably start from Sydney. I imagine we will meet up at some pub somewhere organised as a rendevous, and then go to the property together.

Flying - "up in the air" at the moment [Big Grin]

Some properties rent out "out-stations" (buildings used during stock musters or work at a distance from the main station house) or shearers quarters. Otherwise it would be self camping (I do have extra gear/tents etc if non-residents need it).

Bringing firearms into Australia isn't too hard I believe. I will do some research for non-residents. But no pistols. No self loading rifles. No large magazine centrefire rifles (5 rounds). No pump action or self loading shotguns. A legacy of the "Port Arthur" murders and resultant repressive firearms laws. I have a restricted C class licence but can't even use it for sporting hunts, just pest destruction on my own specified properties.

A temporary firearms permit would be required. Hunters are coming here all the time and I don't think there are any real difficulties. But will research the issue. I am a landowner anyway so I can supply permission to hunt forms if that eases the process. No pigs on my property though [Roll Eyes] just grape vines - saw kangaroo tracks in my vineyard today though.

Ammo similar to African requirements. In the past I have used a 50 round MTM cartridge box and never been asked about it. Cartridges must be in a separate bag from the rifle (though I have ignored this one time), and each cartridge separated (eg MTM plastic box or cardboard cartridge boxes). The usual. Quantity restrictions? Not sure. Ammo - no explosive tip or tracer type ammo - usual sporting ammo - don't know of any restrictions otherwise.

Visas are required for Australia and need to be applied for in advance. Tourism visas are easily obtained.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote