THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wildlife survival in the Arizona fire?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wildlife survival in the Arizona fire?
 Login/Join

<leo>
posted
I heard on the news one of the forest supervisers and he said the fire went from 600/700 acres to 50,000 acres in just seven hours. Not much ground wildlife can stay ahead of something that fast. Whata you think?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most larger animals will move out of harms way but a few get caught for one reason or the other..Smaller animals suffer major losses as do fish and some birds....

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fastest OVERALL advance I have heard about so far on these fires, Leo was about 2 mph. But with wildlife this doesn't really tell the story.
Some wildlife won't try to OUTRUN some big strange something that is after them (and I have observed this first hand) but rather the wildlife will try to HIDE from it. Even the fleet footed jackrabbit will do this sometimes.
Trying to hide from a fire is obviously going to be fatal. And or course there are some poor creatures that get disoriented and simply run INTO the fire thinking they have no other way out.

Anyway you slice it though, it's a terrible thing.
[Frown]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote