THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How many rifles do you really use for deer hunting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many rifles do you really use for deer hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hunt about 30 days per year on a 5,000 acre farm on the Savannah river 20 miles south of Augusta, Ga. Some years I get 10+ rifles ready but only hunt with 4 or 5. Early in the season, I am in the Swamp with a M7MS in 308 or a 700KS in 35 Whelen. In the middle of rut I split my time between the swamp & oak ridges usually with a custom 257 Roberts on the ridges. After the acorns are gone I move to the food plots & power line with a 270 & illuminated scope. For rainny days I have a stock M700 LSS in 7 rem mag with a Bushnell raingard scope.

What do you do?

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have 3 main rifles I use the majority of the time, and 5 other rifles that I can and do carry out from time to time. I only have 2 rifles that I have not killed a deer with.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use two. A Blaser 7mm08 and a Winchester Laredo in 7mmMag. I have enough rifles to use a different one just about every day of the season but have settled on these two. I could make do with only the 7mm08.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't even tell you how many rifles I have that would be appropriate/adequate for whitetails. In all, I probably have a dozen or so that make really good whitetail guns, so I like to rotate them over the years.

What I like to do is select a "primary" and a "secondary" each year and hunt mostly with those two, depending on where I am hunting and whether I am concentrating on deer, or might be just as happy to shoot a passing feral hog, coyote, or turkey. Some of my rifles haven't been on a serious hunt in a dozen years, but I've found that unlike a dog or a wife, they don't feel neglected and are ready to go whenever I choose to pick them up.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
For casual hunting anything in the safe will do. For serious hunting (the freezer is empty or I've seen a really nice buck) my old M700 in 30-06 is my go-to.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I do agricultural damage control and hunt deer pretty much year 'round.

My go-to rifle is a .270 Sako topped off with a straight 4X Leupold scope. No matter if Bambi is 15 yards or 300+ yards away, on a flat soybean field or in a cedar swamp, the .270 Sako works every time. So far it's accounted for 500+ deer and I do not need (or want) anything different.

I have a .270 Ruger #1 as a backup and for elk a .338 Win Mag. (The .338 has also taken a handful of deer.)

The most useless piece in my modest collection of rifles is a .30-30 Marlin lever action. I took my first deer with this in 1979 and it's been collecting dust in the safe ever since.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I can't even tell you how many rifles I have... but I've found that unlike a dog or a wife, they don't feel neglected and are ready to go whenever I choose to pick them up.

Truer words ne'er were spoken! old

90% of the time I use the .270 model 70 my father gave me. 10% of the time I use his marlin 30-30 & 10% of the time I use my maternal grandfather's .25-35 model 94.

If you think the percentages don't add up, then you haven't done enough hunting! dancing

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Typically either a Martini cadet singleshot in 7-30 Waters for our blacktail deer where distances are under 200 yards or a .30-06 based on a square-bridge mauser action for larger deer or longer range.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 WSM, 30-06 and 35 Whelen AI in centerfire rifles. But I have also killed deer with an in-line muzzleloader, shotgun slug and .44 magnum handgun. I like to try different things.

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Unless trying to blood a new rifle just for fun I a most always use one of three. These are an old Husqvarna .270 - the go to gun for 35 years; a .260 Rem Mtn Rifle for sitting in blinds or tree stands; or a .45 cal Knight disk black powder rifle.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I use more pistols than rifles but use just two rifles.

A 300RUM that I built on a Weatherby Vanguard action with a Burris Black Diamond 6-24X50.

A Bullberry Custom Encore 209X50 with a Burris Black Diamond 3-12X50.

Most of my shots are at what most people consider longer ranges.

Oh yeah, for depredation I use a Browning A-bolt in 204 with a Burris FFII 6-20X50

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a whole safe full of rifles for deer, antelope and elk hunting but when it gets right down to it I ready 2 or 3 rifles each year and then typically hunt with one of them. The last 5 or so years its been a .257 Roberts and its been a stone cold killer on Deer, Antelope and Coyotes.
In years past its been my well used Win M70 30/06. I always felt like the 30/06 was overkill for Deer and Antelope but it has killed a pile of those animals a mess of elk too and my Sheep and Mountain Goat.
I would never let either of these go unless its to one of my kids.
Last fall I had the .257 and 30/06 ready that I mentioned above and also had ready to go a .338 Win Mag, a 9.3x62 and a 6.5x55.
I used the .257 most all of the season.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Just one for "deer hunting" for the past 15 or so years. Pre War Mod 70 .270 Win. But for my mule & coues deer I only fly/travel with a synthetic stocked P 64 .270 Win.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
1 for everything. A 308 win in a kimber 84

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost always either my old Remington 725 .280 Rem., or my not-quite-so-old Remington 700 .308 Win.

I have killed several deer, however, with my Marlin 336 .30-30 WCF.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning A-Bolt in 12 gauge w/ a Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-X II.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Remmie M7MS Mannlicher in .257 Roberts: four deer, three hogs.

Remmie M7 Custom Shop in 7mm SAUM: two Sitka Blacktail.

Montana 1999 in .375 H&H: 1 deer. That was the definition of "bang flop".

It's a tough call but for US hunting that 7mm SAUM is one amazing rifle. McMillan stock, Ti-Nyt Stainless coating, Timney trigger. 3/4" groups with 140 and 150 Nosler E-Tips at 3k. 7# scoped with a Leica 2.5-10x42.

For Africa my Pre-64 Winnie in .300 H&H is going with me on my first ever trip to South Africa for Plains Game. 180 gr. TSX's at 3,000 fps.

Then again, I do love me some Mannlicher Stocks...and the Roberts is a classic.

Bah, it's all fun and games!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
What a question. I have a dozen or so that I've used, but my favorite whitetail rifle has to be my Mannlicher model L full stock in .243. It has been retired until my daughter gets old enough to appreciate it. Sako AII in .243, is my current go to I guess. I also pack my Ruger .44 carbine when I'm bashing the bush. If I ever decide to hunt mule deer again, I'll get out my Sako AV classic in 7 Rem mag. 788 6mm, Shilo sharps .45-70, 722 in .257 R. (sold), Marlin 1894 in .44 mag, B-92 in .44 mag, savage 99 in .250-3000 (retired), Win 1894 in 25-35 (retired)

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 399 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have traded and sold off rifles for years but keep draging my old -06 out year after year....

It really is all I need

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only take two; a Rem 700 25-06 and my Ruger M77 358 Win or Marlin 30-30 (depending on the terrain I'm hunting).

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One in the US and one in Africa.
I have several but usually grab the .300 WM for the US and the .375 H&H for Africa. Both are Model 70's.

Posts: 10215 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 rifles that I've actually killed deer with (7 if you count muzzleloaders) and 10 or so that I've actually hunted with, but 90-95% of the time, I hunt with (listed in order of my likelihood to use them) my Savage 99 in .308, my Swedish M96 Mauser in 6.5x55, or my Winchester M70 in .30-06.

As my time to hunt has dwindled a bit due to family/work pressures, I have only used the Model 99 for the past 3 seasons.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre 64 Model 70 .270

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7STW for everything.
I've killed a lifetime worth of game
with only 3 rifles.
savage 243
win 270
win 7STW
Shoot the same rifle for years.
I'll pack the STW till it gets too heavy
and while I spend alot of time
on top of a pony for my hunting,
I'll let him carry it for me. Wink

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
7STW for everything.
I've killed a lifetime worth of game
with only 3 rifles.
savage 243
win 270
win 7STW
Shoot the same rifle for years.
I'll pack the STW till it gets too heavy
and while I spend alot of time
on top of a pony for my hunting,
I'll let him carry it for me. Wink

Do you have a picture of that STW ravenr?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed deer with a lot of rifles.

My main deer killers have been a Ruger no.1 30-06 light sporter.

Then a Sav.99 in 300 sav.

But I have killed deer with 22 hornet to my 416

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
My regular rotation of "deer rifles" includes the following calibers: 270, 280, 7mm RM, 308, 30-06, 300Wthby Mag, and 338-06 and I check the zero on them before every season. Do I hunt with them all at least once every season? Well, season before last I am pretty sure I did. This past season, I hunted one afternoon with my 7mmRM and the rest of the time with my 338-06. Just depends on where I am hunting or which catches my eye when I open the gun safe.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have a picture of that STW ravenr?

It started out looking like this

and ended up looking like this

shot the barrel out and cracked the stock
in a horse wreck.Hart barrel,win action
hougue stock,leopy scope.
Don't have a pic of it without
something dead in the photo Big Grin

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
ravenr

Nice looking critters and that bull is heavy!

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I have killed deer with 22 hornet to my 416

With me it runs from the Hornet up to a .458 Win Mag..

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems my "goto" rifle these days is 375H&H. I have killed deer with calibers like 22Hornet, 221Fireball, 222Rem, 257Rbts, 308Win, 300RUM, 35Rem, and 600Overkill. Lately, I reach for the H&H. It'll get the job done on just about anything I come across. It has served me well for whitetail, javelina, feral hogs, red-eared turtles, skunks, badger, turkey, and Scimitar-horned Oryx. If I had to sell a lot of rifles it is one I would definitely keep. Way too versatile.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one - Rem Model 7 7mm-08 with some work done on it. I started shooting it when I was 12, and 50 whitetails, 30+ piggies, 2 mule deer, 2 pronghorn, an elk, and tons of pdogs and yotes later... I just bought another rifle though Savage 116 in 300 WM. The new gun will probably get a little use this year.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the time, a Model 70 in 7mm magnum, maybe the only rifle in the safe that hasn't been modified yet, or really needed anything different.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14392 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have 4 that I use often;
remington 700 stainless varmit synthetic bull barrel in .308 -- 130 kills

marlin ,308 marlin express XLR -- 7 kills
ruger 77 in 30-06 -- 26 kills

winchester 1895 30-06 -- 2 kills

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
It has changed over the years and where I've been living or hunting.
I usually start with a smaller caliber (usually .257) and switch to larger depending on if elk has opened up. When hunting with my two boys, I have carried a Win 94 or Marlin 336 in .30-30W or Rem 600 in .308W. I don't plan on shooting but wouldn't hardly dream of going without carrying one capable.
When elk opens I carry a .338WM or my 7mmRM most, again depending on area and expected shot.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rarely hunt with more than one at a time. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
yuck

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a .270 UL about 10 years ago, slowly got rid of the 06, .308, 7mm, and lastly 300WSM cause they never got used. Now I am a one rifle hunter

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends. As a gun nut, I liken choosing the rifle as a golfer does a club for a particular shot and circumstance. My 7MM STW has been used on deer, pronghorn, elk... as well as my 30-06 including african plains game. 240 and 257 Weatherby are fun except for windy conditions when the 30 caliber and above are relatively unaffected. If there are no caliber restrictions the 340 Weatherby handles all game at all distances. When one travels and the risk of having ammo and rifle show up at two disparatge locations you can never go wrong with the 30-06 and 375 H&H. AS I have gotten older the 30-06 & 375 H&H are time tested reliable cartirdges that are second to none for all game on all continents. No matter what caliber is chosen the most important consideration is bullet placement and what you are most compentent and comfortable shooting.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, up until now, I've favored my pre-64 Win M70 Featherweight in .270. When the weather was very wet, I went to my Ruger 77 SS in .338 WM.

This year, I plan on using my new-used .300 Savage M99F (an Xmas present from my bride of 48 years).

Does it get any better? Smiler