New
Find
Notify
Tools

RUGER 99/44 SEMI-AUTO
 Login/Join

<rlineb>
posted
anyone got experience with this rifle?if so,whats your opinion?

<303hunter>
posted
Nice rifle. Biggest drawback is cast lead bullets will foul the gas port and are not recommended by Ruger.
Rifle is light, very handy, with good accuacy. The peep sight is a little hard to adjust but works well once you get it on target. Mine has not jammed. The reciever and triggerguard are nicely finished steel castings. The stock is beech. The hanguard, buttplate, and mag body are plastic. The mag feed lips are steel. With Win. white box 240 grain I got 1770 fps. At 50 yards I can shoot 5 shots touching with the peep; at 100 best I can do is 4". The bead front sight completely covered the target bull at that range. I like mine, serial # 6XX.

<T/Jazz>
posted
My Uncle has one since when ever, well it is the Ruger semi auto carbine type that shoots 44 mags.

It is the only gun he uses in the woods on his place in Missouri up North. It has never given him a bit of trouble and makes a big hole in those deer he has taken over the years.

Most of his shots have been under 60 yards. It doesn't shoot cast bullets very well but will handle all the rest Ok. It is soooo easy to carry, one thinks its a toy instead of a real rifle.

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I want a 10 round magazine for all of the Ruger 44 mag carbines. They are fun guns some techs tell me 265grs is the heaviest reccomened bullet, I would think if Ruger was going to take the time to build a gun they would make it cycle and shoot the 300grs bullets well

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
I have had a Ruger Deerstalker 44mag for over 20yrs. It shoots exceptionally well with a Hornady 300gr XTP bullet and a max load of W296.
Best 5 shot group @ 100yds was 1.68". Average 5 shot group is about 2.5" @ 100yds.
The 300gr Hornady bullet really puts a hurtin' on a whitetail.
I have been hunting alot in PA lately and have had to leave the old semi-auto in the gun cabinet. Before that it was my primary whitetail-in-the-woods rifle.

[This message has been edited by Varmint Hunter (edited 03-25-2002).]