THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Bought a new rifle for a fall antelope hunt ......

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bought a new rifle for a fall antelope hunt ......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Oh my God the infallible model 70

No just kidding, it is not good enough and you should not have to send a new rifle off to have expensive gunsmithing done...in a perfect world it should be a trigger job only.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new .25-06 for hunting antelope this fall in Wyoming. I had to order the gun, so I'll keep it (it's a super grade Model 70 CRF Winchester). BUT, what a piece of S%&T !!! The action is about as smooth as wiping your rear with a corn cob while on an Iowa pheasant; the fit & finish is ridiculous; they started out with a really nice piece of wood, and then did everything in their power to make it look bad. On the positive side, I'd say the barrel will perform well. What is it with these new gun manufacturers - do they operate with third grade engineers and use seventh grade shop students on their production lines ??? What's happened to "Made in USA" ? Is this where we're headed in this country - profit first and to hell with the consumer.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Actually, what is wrong is that people keep the shit that is made, thereby convincing the bean counters to make more shit. It has become a never ending cycle of shit!!

Send it back!!!!

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's really sad how a company with as rich of a history as Winchester has, has gone from producing the "Rifleman's Rifle" to being added to the list of "products to avoid". A buddy of mine just bought a Coyote 300 WSM. It isn't bad, but definitely not on par with what Winchester used to produce. It's a sad situation, but I think we as consumers do have a responsibility to stand up to companies like this and speak our minds. I think many of us would be willing to pay a little more for rifles that don't look like they were slapped together by a grade school industrial arts class.

FWIW, Wyo

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
blue: I agree. The only reason I didn't send this one back was that I purchased it from an individual with an FFL who only does special order sales, and I didn't want to make things difficult for him. However, you are very right.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had problems with a Winchester M70 Featherweight, the push feed model. The damn thing wouldn't shoot straight. So, I contacted Winchester, and got a snotty, "Take it to a gunsmith." I got it brand new. It had been sitting on a dealers shelf for years and nobody bought it. I took it to a gunsmith and after a decent bedding job, trigger work, I now have one hell of a sweet shooting rifle.
FWIW, I sent Winchester a bill for the work I had done. It's been over two years and I haven't heard from them. That's what happens when the French take over an American company.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Frank,
I have stopped buying recently manufactured rifles from the Big 3. Just got a Browning Safari long extractor FN in 270. Have not shot it yet but it looks good and I expect it to shoot good. I got a Browning 1885 25-06 for antelope. Hope I get to go before my mouth starts writing checks my body can't cash. So far hogs are all I have been shooting. But they are plentiful and fun. Lots of luck on the antelope hunt.. I always thought they looked majestic flying across the Wyoming plains.
DJK

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may be met with jeers and taunts, but I've purchased two USRAC Model 70s in the past 3 years and have been more than happy with both. One is a "classic stainless" in .338 that shoots very well (.65" @ 100yds with 225gr. A-Frames) and functions perfectly (although I dislike the asthetics of the tupperware stock) and the other is a "Super Grade" in .300WM that looks like a custom rifle and shoots reasonably well (plenty accurate for its intended purpose). I know that every builder turns out some junk but my experience has been positive.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that your rifle didnt live up to your expectations.

I have a Super Grade in 7mm Rem mag that looks good, shoots good and cycles good(control feed). I bought it in 97 or 98 on sale. The price has gone up a couple of hundred dollars over the last few years but sounds like the quality has gone south.

Just the other day yet another person has complimented the rifle's finish. Sounds to me you should send yours back for a replacement. The Super Grade actually has a pretty good reputation so why settle with less.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I had a rifle like that I sent back to Winchester and they cleaned it up real well, NO arguments or anything else.

I don't blame it on the bean counters ( which I hate) anywhere near as much as I would blame that on the guys who are suppose to be in charge of Q/C.

I sent a stock that was screwed up on a rifle from Winchester, back to them, just the stock! told them I expected a lot better since I own about 12 of their firearms. 30 days later I got another stock back from them, that was one beautiful piece of wood;. No arguments etc.

I was pissed that it had gone out the door, but they did a great 'recover" in my book.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cheers and Good shooting ( and good luck on the return)
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

in a perfect world it should be a trigger job only.

I have to disagree. In a perfect world it should come with a trigger pull that breaks like a glass rod at 2.5-3 pounds.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 model 70s 3 classics and 1 pre64 featherweight.
Of the 3 Classics I say this. 1 a 7mmSTW while the wood is not prety, it shoots like a dream. Another a 30,06 while a little load fussy looks good and shoots the loads it likes very well. the third a .338 win mag Looks really nice but I would be lying if I said it is a great shooter, it is good enough but not great. All have had the triggers adjusted. And the barrel channels sanded either to free float or in the case of the SYW I left a little tip preasure. This might suprise you but all three classics out shoot the pre64 featherweight. A 270 buy the way. Its getting a new pac-nor barrel as we speak. Just one mans opinion,I would probably not buy any rifle sight unseen, but were I in your posisition The local rep for Browning Winchester (owned by a belgian company , Not the French)would be getting a look at the rifle and I would see if he could pull some strings and get the problems solved for you. Thats a great cartridge for your purpose, I am sorry you got a bad one, but I might sugjest you take a look at a CZ !
...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote