THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Couple of game cam bucks from last week.....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple of game cam bucks from last week.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I put out my cam last week and got 367 pics. Had 5-6 8pts, a bunch of small bucks, and a bunch of does & yearlins:

Here's the two larger bucks of the week:

I tagged a real nice 8 in '06 in that spot that had a rack like the big 8, but shorter 2s. He green scored 138" and I'm guessing this one to bump 140"

The rut should start in a couple weeks and I hope to get my hands on a good one or two. These 3 buck tags are burning a hole in my pocket. I've been on em hard in diff areas since Oct 1st and passed alot of dinks. Maybe big daddy will chase a doe my direction in the next few weeks.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Good pictures. I may have read it wrong but are you thinking the bigger buck will go 140? His neck has a nice swell to it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yeah Doc, I'm gona guesstimate and say he's bumping 140. I've taken some 130s class bucks there that didn't appear that big, but pics can be decieving....

Only a tape measure will tell the story and I certainly hope I get to be the one holding the tape. It will take a hot doe to get him out of nocturnal mode.

The second buck in the bottom pics is probably only in the 115" range. Oughta be a good buck with more age.

This buck was taken in the same spot and went 138 green:

The buck in the game cam pic is wider, similar mass, and has longer 2s. The mature bucks there usually weigh 230-240+ on the hoof this time of year(Pre-rut), so I'd imagine he's a doozy up close.

Here's a 156 taken there last year:

He was definitely much larger than he looked in pics, I would have only thought him to be maybe 140 from the pic we saw of him on a game cam.

I certainly hope I get to post color pics with my rifle propped on his side Smiler

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I must suck at estimating. I'd guess the bigger buck would go 125 at the very most and the smaller buck might go 100.

I may have to rethink the bucks I've been passing on if your estimates are correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc
Your on with the 120's and 100's...may be even a little generous.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I don't want to get in a disagreement over scores, I just wanted to post some pics of some nice bucks.

I learned long ago that you can not judge a buck by pics and even proved it by posting pics of several bucks that I knew the score of and every net expert was terribly wrong.

I hope we get to see 1st hand Smiler

I guess him 11" on 2s, 7" on 3s, 22" beams, 18" spread and 5 to 3 on mass for a gross upper 130s to 140. I'm so confident if we do tag him I'll pay you a smooth 100 bucks if I'm wrong and he is not over 125.

The 3rd buck pictured(the dead one Smiler ) grossed 138 for a fact and appears smaller than the buck in the pics to me, but like I said, pics can be decieving.

That second buck from last week will gross close to 115 with ease and again, I'll lay money on it that he's over 100 Smiler

I've been pretty accurate at scoring them when seen in person and could really care less about internet scoring. It seems on all the forums when someone wants a score guessed the range will have a spread of 20" plus.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
I say first buck is 122" and the second is 101"...maybe Big Grin Just my guess...ive been wrong before. CRYBABY

Nice bucks and good trail cam pics. Good luck on your hunt!

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
ive been wrong before.

Josh, I certainly hope I get a chance to prove you wrong Smiler

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's only one way to settle this...Reloader you know what you have to do. Good hunting!

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
We measured my KY buck at 18 1/2" wide. He looks wider than the bigger buck in the cam pic to me, but like you say, net pics can be deceiving. After all, I look like I weigh 221 pounds in the pic, but the truth is I only weigh 220! But, I assure you, it is all muscle, except for my ass and face, which most folks can tell the difference b/w the 2. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nice buck Doc! Congrats

I'd guess him to be 128" How close am I?

I showed the game cam pics to another hunter that's pretty dang good at scoring in the field and he said that's a nice mid 130s plus deer. It's funny how it varies so much from looking at pictures. Heck, their all nice....

Yeah Perry, I know what I have to do, I just got to get these rascals to cooperate. Maybe the does I've been seeing will sweet talk a good buck out before long.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I haven't scored him and likely won't. I haven't taped or had taped, any antlers in years.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Best way to do it Doc. A trophy is in the eye of the beholder anyway IMO.

I have a place my family has hunted since I was 9 years old. It's a high pressure area, but we still pass the youngsters in hopes the neighbors don't wipe them all out and when we get a 100-110 inch buck you'd think he was a 150 by the excitement.

It's fun no matter what the size.

Have a good one,

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
My huntn bud smoked the big 8 yester eve. I'll post tomm with some kill pics. He was a toad and field dressed dead on 200lbs! Heck of a body size for a La buck, but the rich Miss river delta crop lands puts the pounds on them. The buck green grossed 140-2/8.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
Reloader, I don't know how to score and this is not a trick. I'm curious, what would you guess the score to be on this buck I took a couple weeks ago. I promise, I am sincere in my question. Don't know if this helps but I weigh 225. Thanks, RREESE

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
RREESE,

That's a real nice buck, I like the looks of a wide 8.

It's hard to score one from a pic, but I'd say he'll go from 125-130 possibly alittle more.

Congrats on a fine buck.

IMO any 8 that goes over 120 is a fine 8pt and definitely "wall-hanger" material.

Have a good one,

Reloader

One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Yep, he's at Brush Country Studios now for a pedestal wall mount. Totally unexpected on a Texas hill country hunt.

Thanks again for satisfying my curiosity.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote