Find
Notify
Tools

Jicarilla Apache Res Late Elk Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello-

I am writing to see if any one out there has ever been on the Late Season Bull hunt on the Jicarilla.

My wife and I have an opportunity to take this hunt and we are curious if it is really worth the $ they require, what type of bulls can one REALLY expect to see, and any pointers on how to do the hunt.

Thanks in advance. Jim

Posts: 846 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 18 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the early hunt the bulls tend to be bigger, or its easier to find a bigger elk. On the late hunt there is likely to be plenty of snow, but you won't lack for bulls to look at. I've shot a 300 and 335 early, a 275 late. Take the hunt - for NM, its about the price of a landowner hunt +/-.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
What would be the price for this late season hunt?

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian-It runs $5500 + $250/day for the guide. You do your own meals and lodging.....we will just stay at the Best Western in Dulce. By the time your all done, you'll burn $7500 easy. If you get a decent bull, add the taxi on. They may have some spots open. They run 20 bull hunts late from 12/11 - 12/31.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dr dog guy-Thanks for your input. The hunt is booked.

Is there anyone out there that has been on this hunt lately????

Any help is greatly appreciated. Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. You have a guide selected yet? I know a few.

You will have the time of your life. It is beautiful country, the people are wonderful, and the elk are magnificent.

Watch the food situation. Sometimes the kitchen will prepare breakfast to go, sometimes not, and you are out of there before the resteraunt opens at the hotel. The grocery store closes early, often before you get back. Its not as noticable during the late hunt because it gets darker sooner, but you can end up awfully hungry by the time you return at night.

Good luck, and find a big one! They are there.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunted there in 2007 on the early season. The bulls I saw harvested were all in the 300 to 320 range and I saw several as they were brought in to the skinning shed. In 2007 they offered 15 early archery tags, 45 early rifle tags and 30 late season tags. This year they only offered 20 late season bull hunts total. I don't know why they changed, it could be to improve quality or to give more tags to tribal members, my guide said it had been six years since he had an elk tag and nine years since he had a deer tag so they make a sacrifice to give non-tribal hunters a tag.

During the early season we hunted the northern part of the reservation with a lot of oak brush and other cover. My guide said they hunted the southern part of the reservation for tht late hunt (more winter range) of sage and rim rock country. He thought this was a better opportunity for a larger trophy since you had the chance to look at a lot more bulls. He had guided hunters to 350 type bulls.

You should try to get references on guides, there are some excellent guides there but there are also some looking for an easy buck. My first guide failed to show up but the second one was outstanding.

The free range hunts there are by drawing so I don't know how "the hunt is booked". The drawing hasn't been held yet. They have fenced hunts also and I think those are first come.

It's an amazing place, probably the best hunt I was ever on.

Posts: 16 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Mark.

Sounds like it will be allot of fun. We bought the hunt at the NM SFW Auction last week. The donor was the tribe, hope its booked cuz its paid for.The guide is Keith Manuel. Supposed to be filmed by Outdoor Bound.

Jim

posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought about a donated hunt. I'm sure you will have a great trip. I got a little trigger happy on the first day of my hunt and killed a 6 X 6 that scored 298. I only hnuted two hours but I saw eight 5 X 5 or better bulls in those two hours. My hunt almost only lasted 15 minutes but my guide talked me out of shooting a 280 6 X 6 at 60 yards. Said we could do better. I never saw another hunter in the field and although there is a cow elk hunt going on while you will be there I would't expect to see very many other hunters.

They have a four page hunting regulations and season structure on their web site that you might want to read before you go but they don't have a lot of regulations.

Good luck with your hunt.

Posts: 16 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JFWRC

A good friend of mine has hunted the late season there the past 5-6 years. He takes a nice bull every year.

JD338

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD338-

Thanks for the info. Do you think there's any chance he'd talk to me about the hunt?

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure your out there JD338. I'm going to shoot you a PM on the Jic. My wife has pretty much decided she doesn't want to do this hunt....at this point.....bummer. As such, we will be transferring out position. I would love to talk to your friend, not only from an informational standpoint, but he me want it.

Thanks-Jim