New
Find
Notify
Tools

For CA Hunters, Head's Up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'd put this on the political board, but it'd get few reads there. And I just thought everyone should be aware what's out there.

On top of the mass of anti gun owner legislation just passed in NY, NJ, CO and CA, here comes more.

Its main backer is the same guy whose other claim to fame is putting in free condoms in CA prisons (industrial strength condoms I presume). It's Assembly Member Rob Bonta (D-Oakland).

This law imposes a 10% tax on retailers who sell ammunition at the rate of 10% of the gross receipts of any retailer from the sale of ammunition sold at retail in California. It would also impose a comparable excise tax on the storage, use, or other consumption in CA of ammunition purchased from a retailer for the storage, use, or other consumption in CA.

And it creates a news legislative slush fund “The Public Safety Emergency Prevention Fund”.

It appears to tax both ammunition and reloading supplies.

In its original form the bill would also include a nickel per bullet tax.

The polling is said to support it.

Tough to swallow on top of what they just did out there, but there it is.

And how does that affect the rest of us? Taxing us out of business will spread.

Oh, they also made illegal the sale of parts that could be used to make an assault rifle. Because of that I just backed off buying a handgun part from CA that I really wanted. It has no assault weapon use, but under some hyper technical interpretation of the new restrictions, why take a chance?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
why do you think this place is called the left coast or the granola state( i.e. the land of fruits, nuts, and flakes)??? am i surprised? NOT IN THE LEAST. WILL IT PASS THE LEGISLATURE? WOULDN'T SURPRISE ME IN THE LEAST. if God wanted to give the US an enema, he would stick the tube in Sacramento. pissers

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13246 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I really wonder, how you could be a hunter or shooter and live there. Talk about being penalized for a hobby. Hat's off to you Ca. residents who can deal with this. I couldn't.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shack thanks for the info. It is a shame for a state that used to lead the nation in many aspects now hovers at the bottom of the barrel. I wonder if that individual is part of a group a few years ago, that made excuses for poor performance in schools in his area and tried to push the ebonics issue down our throat.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
In its original form the bill would also include a nickel per bullet tax.

The polling is said to support it.

I have to wonder who they polled...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going by memory and you can google it, but I think the polling was either 75% or 76% in favor.

Not that it matters except to show the character of the opposition, but on the political board I did a little research into two of the other backers. Leland Yee and Kevin De Leon. Yee is a shoplifter and was caught twice trying to pick up hookers in the Mission District. De Leon has a history of sponsoring nutball legislation - http://www.calwatchdog.com/201...vil-unfitted-sheets/.

But that's now the ruling class in CA.

Man, if I had to live there, I'd either be getting the Hell out or banding together with others to do something about it.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The really frustrating part is after all of the letter writing, phone calls and emails to oppose these bills the tone deaf legislators in Sacramento pass them anyway. Am I the only one opposed to this stuff?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I really wonder, how you could be a hunter or shooter and live there. Talk about being penalized for a hobby. Hat's off to you Ca. residents who can deal with this. I couldn't.

As soon as I'm done teaching Summer school my daughter and I are headed to Wyoming for good.

Every man has his limit. I reached my limit years ago, and finally said "enough". California has a lot of things going for it, but as a hunter, gun owner, and teacher I can no longer stomach living here.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I don't blame you Jason. I have been trying to convince Mrs Blacktailer that it is time to leave the state. It's just so hard to find anything approaching our great weather. I will have to come up with a "work around" for the misguided gun laws being enacted to make us more safe. Roll Eyes

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It is sad to see what has/is happening in California, especially when knowing those same attitudes are going to spread across the whole country. In looking back I was not very sympathetic toward the plight of California Gun Owners/hunters in the past and I was wrong.

What happened out there is a cancer and it is slowly working it's way across the country. The problem from my point of view is that while the anti's are becoming a majority, gun owners/hunters/shooters have become a minority and I don't see that changing, nation wide.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
I don't blame you Jason. I have been trying to convince Mrs Blacktailer that it is time to leave the state. It's just so hard to find anything approaching our great weather. I will have to come up with a "work around" for the misguided gun laws being enacted to make us more safe. Roll Eyes

What about Arizona? I have family who moved there from Ca and they love it.

I feel a bit guilty for "cutting and running" but I think I owe it to my daughter and myself to live in a place that doesn't pride itself on being the leader in nutty behavior.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i finally surrendered a few weeks ago. sold all my powder burners and thousands of rounds of ammo. doubled my initial investment. i got into high power air rifles a few years ago and now have guns that will kill anything around my ranch that needs killing- including nuisance wild hogs. since by legal definition air rifles are not "firearms" the fine folks in Sacramento can kiss my ass. i have used camp rifles for years in Africa so it isn't a big deal. the elephant, buffalo, hippo, crocs, leopard had no idea they were shot with a camp gun. they are just as dead... at my age i am leaving it to the night shift to carry on a losing battle. my ranch is paid for and i could give a shit less what happens to the rest of this worthless state. it ain't worth 2 seconds of worry.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13246 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel a bit guilty for "cutting and running" but I think I owe it to my daughter and myself to live in a place that doesn't pride itself on being the leader in nutty behavior.

That is what a Daddy is supposed to do. My hat is off to you Sir. tu2 tu2 patriot

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
Dear CA hunters and shooters,

My heart goes out to you all. Because I am the first person in my family not born in CA since 1850 I have had the privilege of hearing a lot of great stories of how CA used to be. The family stories of duck hunting at Tule lake in the early 1900's where the ducks would blot out the sun when they took flight in the morning and the stories of chasing deer all across the Sierras are etched in my memory forever. But sadly those days are gone and are never coming back. Most of my family still lives there but every year more and more are leaving or talking about leaving.

We will keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers and hope beyond hope that this nonsense does not come to pass.

It seems that somewhere in CA they have lost sight of our countries original promise of the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

And to all of the CA haters out there just remember that 38 million people can't all be wrong about CA being a great place to live. But they can screw it up once they all get there.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
True that one! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
It is sad to see what has/is happening in California, especially when knowing those same attitudes are going to spread across the whole country. In looking back I was not very sympathetic toward the plight of California Gun Owners/hunters in the past and I was wrong.

What happened out there is a cancer and it is slowly working it's way across the country. The problem from my point of view is that while the anti's are becoming a majority, gun owners/hunters/shooters have become a minority and I don't see that changing, nation wide.

What's happening in California is beginning to happen all across the country...no matter where you live our hobby is under ATTACK.

Our only defense is to VOTE...only ~64% of eligible Americans vote, with the highest turnouts usually in blue states.

All of us MUST VOTE no matter where we live, blue state or otherwise.

Moreover, we need to get involved and HELP get out the vote. I bet, if we had ~100% voter turnout, we'd have republican president and senate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
with the highest turnouts usually in blue states.
I'm hereby officially proposing we re-name them. You can say you heard it here first.

No more Blue and Red states. That was a bad joke in the first place thought up by the dem's media, because they thought the idea of them being the Red states was just a little too obvious.

From now on, it's Pink and Green states.

We're the Green states. We like the natural great outdoors and doing things as nature intends and living free.

And they are, well, Pink IS the perfect color.

If THEY had a national flag, it should be red, pink and yellow.

And we've GOT to get a LOT better organized and take this for what it is, a war for our survival and way of life against the worst threat to liberty this country has ever seen, bar none.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
The really frustrating part is after all of the letter writing, phone calls and emails to oppose these bills the tone deaf legislators in Sacramento pass them anyway. Am I the only one opposed to this stuff?

No you are not. I just wrote to my Senator and Assemblyman, even though we lost in the last round of legislation, I thanked them for their opposition, and asked that they continue oppose the attacks on our 2nd amendment rights.

I believe those Dems like DeLeon and Yee, absolutely hate firearms and don't give a wit about the victims of gun violence. Their goal is to disarm everyone to gain total control.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote