New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting running Deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today Indiana's Deer season started. I couldn't believe how many times I heard a string of four or five shots come from one shot gun. The only thing I could think of was that there were a lot of people trying to shoot deer on the run.
I don't understand the thought behind this. I jumped a buck, an eight pointer, first thing this morning he was moving toward the road. I didn't shoot at him. 1) He was on a dead run. 2) He was running along the road then crossed it. I had a bead on him, but thought better to be safe than sorry and there isn't any way I would have fired more than one shot at him. What are your thoughts on this? What ever happened to one shot one kill?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd bet they're driving deer and the people posted on the end of the woods or swamps are shooting at the running deer.

We drive woods in southern Minnesota, it's a shotgun only area. Sometimes we have to post the "shooters" on the end of the woods but we try not to as panicked deer can really run and if they are looking for another deer they may leap as they run making shots very iffy. We found if we drove deer out of a woods and across a field towards another woods they often slow way down as they near the next woods and place the hunters on stand there.

Many years ago my father was driving his pickup along a heavily hunted area with a number of wood plots and swamps. He said he noticed several hunters along a woodline standing up shouldering their shotguns. He stopped to watch. He said there were hunters all the way around the alfala field shooting at a small buck running across the field, shooting towards each other! If the field hadn't been big the hunters could have been in great peril. The deer was safer than the hunters. Dad said he was so engrossed watching them shoot and reload and shoot again that he didn't even think of the danger he was in watching.

Yes it does get loud!

Posts: 309 | Location: kentucky | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
winter meat was/is dependent on running shots around here. runing shot are not that hard in side of 125yrds with a rifle. just keep a steady speend squeeze and follow through. its hard for some one who shoots deer out of a stand that looks out on to a food plot but they arent that hard. ill take a shot on any deer thats going less than full out in side 125yrds all season long with a rifle. muzzle loader i wont shoot a running deer, to much lead involved.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many target ranges have a running target ? How many shooters have practiced on a moving target? Very few !! I'd rather not leave things to luck.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Quote:

How many target ranges have a running target ? How many shooters have practiced on a moving target? Very few !! I'd rather not leave things to luck.

Uh... Gee... Ever heard of rabbits and birds?...

Running shots are regularly taken at deer in the SouthEastern US by hunters that run deer with hounds. It's really no big deal. The same hunters that miss standing shots typically miss running shots too...

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So blasting at a running deer with buckshot is good hunting, but making a clean killing shot at a standing deer 400yd away is bad?

What ever you say Hillary.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Running deer are not high on my list of targets but I have tried two of them. First was a fork horn at about 15' that I knew was in the immediate vicinity. He bolted out of a bottom country grass tussock at my three o'clock heading for 12. Winchester Trapper in 30-30 with a Williams Peep that I never saw, one Hornady 170 gr JFP behind the ear and it was draggin' time. The second was a buck of Biblical proportions, probably would have scored 800 B&C or better. I did not know he was present and walked up on him still hunting in a creek bottom while he was bedded in some cane. It was an awesome sight to witness his launch, the first lunge taking him above the cane in a graceful arc, more horns than my little mind could imagine. A big beautiful monster of a buck. I doubt I was more than 10' from him when he took off. My shotgun instincts kicked in, the Mod 94 shouldered by itself, post on him before he touched the ground. I had a conscious thought to wait for him to stop the bound and begin to run before slapping the trigger(no broken sear on this'n Hot Core) and WHACK!, my stubby little barrel slammed into a sapling stopping my swing.
That was one helluva deer by any standard. Did I mention it was in really dense cover? I learned that day to look close as well as far, and it was a week before my heart slowed down. I also know that but for a sapling he would be hanging on the wall.

Well, I do NOT recommend running shots on deer to those who I have ensnared in the world of hunting. I don't suggest it to anybody. Patience is a better course, for there is way too much to calculate for the neophyte and learned hunter alike. I do however believe it is up to the hunter to make the call one way or another. I've seen videos of people whacking coyotes on the fly beyond 200 yards, and while I would not shoot a deer like that it is mostly because I have not practiced that scenario and do not have such opportunities here in the South. I was raised on bird hunting OTH, and think an accomplished wing shooter has a reasonable background that will allow some success, IF they have some experience and feel there is a NEED . I eschew DOGMA . I seem to recall a tale about a trick shot that Keith took once with his .44 on a running WOUNDED deer at great range...where do you draw the line?

I don't often carry shotguns while deer hunting though perhaps I should. Given that, I doubt I would ever decline a running deer in close quarters simply because I know what me and Mr. Buckshot can do. Regarding the volley fire mentioned above, I always assumed my fellow hunters that do that are either defending their lives or had met up with a Kevlar wearing buck. Not being there I don't know the circumstance and don't pass judgement.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DD
HillaryTed has declared himself to be the worlds autherity on hunting morals and ethics, I felt it neccesory to point out his hyprocrisy on the subject. He thinks it's great to blast away at a runner with buckshot at xxyds (and you can't tell if it took a piece of buckshot in the guts) and walk away if it dosn't drop, but wrong to take a careful shoot at more than xxxyd on a standing deer?

In your face jump&run shots (like you discribed) are (IMHO) more difficult than the long standing shots that I (and several others) practice and make. That dosn't make either of us wrong, just different in our perspective. As a side note, I used to grind up somthing over 10K clay targets a year at regulation skeet and sporting clays, along with a fair amount of walk and stalk small game hunting, so I do have some familarity with the princapals of acquire/swing/mount/fire shooting. This is a win-win discussion between us BTW, as we are able to put ourselves into into the other mans shoes and see the subject from the others perspective.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't just throw lead, but if the buck is in the open and I can hold on him, I'll take the shot.

Having said that, I've missed a few incredibly easy running shots through the years. Some that convinced me the deer were bullet-proof. Early in my hunting career I think I consistently led them too much. I also made some great running shots that convinced me I was better than I really was.

Most of my hunting the last 25 years hasn't required me to take running shots. I hunt in Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado mostly and generally if you trust your gut, and hold your fire the buck (deer, antelope, etc.) will stop at some point. It might be at 100 yards or 350 yards, but if you haven't scared the living bee-jesus out of him he'll usually give you something other than a running shot at some point before he disappears.

Posts: 13812 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I don't claim to be a great running shot maker. Some of the guys I hunt with do it with boring and frequent success and I admire them. They mostly use shot guns with extra full chokes and buckshot. I use a rifle because I need a scope due to all my rifle shooting all year... <sigh>

The last 8 running deer I shot yielded the following results.

4 shot through the lungs and none of these went further than down and out with eyes glazed within one minute.

1 shot through the heart and it went down and didn't even twitch.

1 through the liver and it dropped in it's tracks.

1 gut shot and it also died almost instantly because the shot was so close to the liver that it ruputured a lot of the liver.

And last but not least I shot one running straight towards me and my shot went right through his heart and came out under the skin on his left ham.

All shots were with 150gr Nosler Partitions and all exited except the last one mentioned. None of these deer ran another step after hit but some traveled up to 30 feet from their momentum.

I only saw one of them go down due to the heavy recoil of my light rifle and that one went head over heels.

All deer were running ahead of hounds and their attention was on the hounds and not me. I believe that all saw me except the one coming straight at me (I was hidden in a bush) but all had me outside of their "comfort zone" which in all cases but the one coming straight at me from about 60-110yds.

All were one shot kills and all made with a Remington Model 7 with a 2.8-10 Simmons Aetec scope set on the lowest power.

None of these deer were running "flat out" with their bellies to the ground like a deer often runs in an open and bare field. All were in fairly open pines with knee to chest height palmettos.

I do NOT lead at all. It confuses me to think about lead. I aim exactly where I want to hit and usually hit 4-8" behind that point and usually a bit higher. That's likely because most deer are decending from a "bound" (running jump) when I touch off the shot. I guess it sounds stupid to do it that way but I hate to mess with success...

I often pass at running shots, especially when they are straight away from me. That policy has cost me two giant bucks (by Florida standards) but I'm pretty confident that I wouldn't have recovered either one.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Day two of Indiana deer season. Well, the rapid fire has slowed today. I only heard the rapid fire twice today. Hunting in my area, you either hunt the bean fields or in the woods. I hunt in the woods where your shots are less than 100 yards. The hunters of the bean fields could have a shot greater than 500 yards. Indiana is a shotgun or hand gun state. You have to use slugs in a shotgun in Indiana to hunt deer, no shot. I don't know for fact but it is my understanding that driving deer is forbiden for the same reason that you can't use a rifle. When I hear that noise I think that there is some nut out there that was taught to spray and pray form of hunting and it makes me see red. Where is all that lead going? When my son became of hunting age, he had to take a hunting safty course. I took it with him. They taught the same things that I was taught by my father. One of the things that they pressed the most was be sure of your target and know where your bullet is going to go. I guess some people just don't care or think. Thanks for letting me bend your ear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The guys that blast away are sometimes irresponsible idiots but I think more often have buck fever. Others grew up with the old foster slugs and smoothbore shotgun barrels and follow the old addage "Shoot until the gun is empty" figuring they'll get lucky with one of the shots. Some have the idea that since slugs don't carry like rifle bullets do they can pull any stunt they please.

Our group has been together for years, adding and losing a member every so often. We put the old guys, 50s to my dad at 78, that won't attempt an iffy shot on stand. The younger group (youngest in her early thirties, an extraordinarily attractive early thirties) with strong legs driving through the woods who usually won't shoot in the woods. The deer are usually driven from one woods or swamp towards another woods or swamp. By the time they get there the deer are not running, that's where the people are put on stand-it's safer for everyone. Generally the deer will walk out of the far end of a driven area as the hunters enter the other end so we seldom even have running shots. If the deer are running the old guys usually just shrug and say we'll have a chance again later on and not attempt the shots. Everyone dreads the thought of a cripple as we may have to spend hours or an entire afternoon following a blood track so usually the shots that are taken are the "sure thing variety". Shots are usually taken at more than 50 yards, very seldom beyond 75 yards on a drive.

We hunt off stands as is common most everywhere in the morning and evenings. Most of our group will have recently returned from hunting in Montana, Wyoming or South Dakota (me in Kentucky) so there is always plenty of vennison to go around.

Posts: 309 | Location: kentucky | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I agree with Kensco. It is possible to have a good shot at a running deer, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Its a judgement call. Farmiliarity with and confidence in your weapon is definatley a prerequsite. But perhaps more important is a good rest and taking the time to feel the shot. Terrain and the animals attitude plays a big part in this. If the animal is trotting on a level plain it is much more doable, if it is bobbing and zig zaging or running through trees, forget it.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Our group has been together for years, adding and losing a member every so often. We put the old guys, 50s to my dad at 78, that won't attempt an iffy shot on stand

Really?How do you explain

Quote:

Dad and Milo were in their late sixties so guess who had to do the walking? Anyway, in one of the strips I chased out a doe. It ran towards Milo and he hit her but she kept going. We followed her for and hour or so before we realized she was making a big circle back to where we started from. After discussing it we decided to put the other two in the most likely spots for a shot while I followed the deer. I spent the entire afternoon following the cripple- I could see she had a leg broken as I followed her.

It sounds like an iffy shot to me.The two statements quoted above(both made by you)directly contradict each other.Did you lecture Milo about ethics and shot selection after the incident?Perhaps you need to teach your own hunting party a little more about ethics and shot selection before trying to teach the people on this forum.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My shotgun instincts kicked in, the Mod 94 shouldered by itself, post on him before he touched the ground.

Here is the operative thought, for me. When I take a running shot, it is not something I think about, it just happens by itself, and the shot rarely fails under those conditions. Most of the time I just wave bye-bye to unwounded running game.

Posts: 14435 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed 2 whitetail and one antelope running,all one shot kills,one of the whitetails was going so fast he did an endo and broke an antler off.I always keep my scope on the lowest setting making it easier to pick them up and I agree swing like you are shooting a shotgun and follow through.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... one Hornady 170 gr JFP behind the ear and it was draggin' time. The second was a buck of Biblical proportions, probably would have scored 800 B&C or better. ... (no broken sear on this'n Hot Core) and WHACK!, my stubby little barrel slammed into a sapling stopping my swing. ... Did I mention it was in really dense cover? I learned that day to look close as well as far, and it was a week before my heart slowed down. I also know that but for a sapling he would be hanging on the wall.

Nice ear shot. Any chance at all that is where you happened to be aiming?

Always bad when a sear "breaks" on you.

Reminds me of a buddy over in Raleigh who was Stand hunting and the leaves were off. He could hear Dogs way off in the distance with one dog sounding a bit closer than the pack. He kept watching in that general direction and eventually saw a Deer running in large circles, but getting closer. (Obviously dealt with dogs before.)

Phillip has a S&S 30-06 A-Bolt loaded with 165gr PSP Hanson(SP?) ammo he had gotten at a Gun Show when I was with him for $6/box(it was a few years ago ). And I should mention Phillip is one fine wing shot with lots of Trigger Time with a shotgun.

He finally noticed it was a nice 8-pointer and as the Deer came loping by he eased his rifle up and killed it. Big deal huh? Well, as he went down to the Deer, he happened to notice a hole in a 6" tree as he went past it. He got to the Deer and looked back to verify the hole was indeed made by his plain old Cup & Core Bullet and sure enough it had.

Nice Deer and he got it drug out. Of course he had to call me and give me a hard time about his "Mythical Killing Ability". And we did have some grins about the pure luck that the bullet had not been deflected. (Actually, I claim to this day that it had been deflected into the Deer.)

I thought about it a few days and called him back. We discussed just how amazing the shot really was. I encouraged him to go remove that "section" of the tree and put it in his Cabin. He did and now it is quite a conversation starter.

Quote:

I was raised on bird hunting OTH, and think an accomplished wing shooter has a reasonable background that will allow some success, ...I don't often carry shotguns while deer hunting though perhaps I should. Given that, I doubt I would ever decline a running deer in close quarters simply because I know what me and Mr. Buckshot can do. ...Not being there I don't know the circumstance and don't pass judgement.

I can see where it is difficult for some folks who do not have the right background and experience to understand some shots that others take and never really give it a second thought.

I also have a lot of shotgun experience and have used them a lot on both "Dog Hunts" and "Man Drives". Have used slugs, but prefer good old "000BuckShot" in my short barrel M870SPS. You only have to take a few steps in the Southeastern Swamps to understand how much a REALLY short barrel improves your chances of being able to get on the Game. Killed a lot of Deer with that combo and they were all moving with varying degrees of speed.

---

By the way, nelsonted has made an excellent point about "Driven Deer" slowing when they make the transition from one set of woods, across an opening(of about any size) and into the next woods. They do slow down upon re-entry and in fact often stop to look back, once they are 15-25yds into the new section. For this reason, we have found it even better for the Standers to enter the woods we expect the Deer to move into about that distance and all stand on the same side of a large tree, like all on the North side and all shots will be to the Northwest, North, or Northeast. (We Southerners ALWAYS prefer shooting toward the North!!! Or in the direction of any Blue State< !--color-->, if you know what I mean!)

Hard to believe KY does not allow the use of Buckshot, but that is what is in the Regs.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, let it go we kicked your asses years ago. I live on the Mason Dixon line and hear that shit all the time LOL.

I shooter, how did you identify that buck as an 8 point? That is pretty good. You were able to indentify 2 brow tines or eye gaurds and see both sides of the rack. All while on a dead run in the timber. You say say you do not hunt the fields. Sounds like you had plenty of time to get the gun up and make a solid shot. Running shots at deer result in more dead trees than deer. I have killed a lot of trees in the past 30 years. I have also put down a bunch of whitetails. I moved way back in the thickets where the live when the shooting starts. My shots are feeding and sneaking at 25 yards from a treestand much easier

one of us
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally, I shot my first running deer yesterday, a small buck not running real fast about 50 yards away. I shot offhand and swung ahead just like with a shotgun (I was using a shotgun with low-power scope). Hit it three times with saboted slugs. The first shot probably in the lungs. Second shot a gut shot. Guts were falling out of the deer. Third shot broke its shoulder as it was escaping into some high stuff (I actually shot where it was going, and could not see it). It fell right there. I knew there were no other hunters or other objects in the line of fire, though.

I remember thinking, despite hitting it three times for three, I shouldn't have shot at it at all. I also once shot a pronghorn running dead away at about 200 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a bunch of running deer, and I'll agree with you that if they're inside 125-150 yards and in the open they're not that hard. I shot a 10-point buck Saturday that had been shot at twice by hunters on the neighboring farm (just across the fence) that was 180 yards running broadside. I grew up shooting running coyotes ahead of hounds, started when I was 10, so I've had a bit of practice. When you start shooting moving game, your shooting style has to switch from rifle to shotgun, most people are too tentative, just pass through, establish a lead, a quick smooth trigger pull, and the deer will die.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last running shot I took was with a Canon Powershot digital camera... The results were much prettier than they would have been had I shouldered my rifle...

I think it boils down to confidence. My Uncle hunted all his life and has participated in deer drives before and has pushed a lot of bush, and he can drop a running deer like no one's business. Inside 125-150 yards, anyways.

I, on the other hand, have spent most of my time over a bench with my guns, using software and calculators for some number crunching and load development and hunting from stands or spot-and stalk across fields, I feel perfectly fine touching off at a 350 yard target. As long as it's stationary and my angles are good, I know where the bullet is going to go and what it's going to do.

My Dad is somewhere in the middle, enjoying broken field spot-and-stalks and pushing bush, so he can reach out farther than my Uncle, and will try a running shot whereas I would not.

I don't think you'll catch any of us trying to pull off the others' specialty because we all learned to hunt different ways.

I think the ethics of hunting should take in to consideration the kind of hunting a hunter is most experienced at before judgement is passed. 350 yards is a long shot by most standards and my longest so far was just over 400. Is that unethical? Was if unfair in some way that I knew how far down my bullet was going to drop and that I needn't be concerned about the slight tailwind I was shooting with? Was my one-shot instant kill not "humane" in that instance? I don't think so. It was picture perfect because I knew it would be. Took a long time to build up that kind of confidence in my long range shots. Just like it took a long time for my Uncle to drop running deer like it's the most natural thing in the world.

Just my $.02! Thanks for reading.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
If you don't have confidence in running shots, you shouldn't take them. Most folks that look down on the guys that shoot deer running are the guys that can't make the shot and they are mostly jealous.

Running shots was a way of life back when we ran deer w/ hounds. It isn't that hard especially if the shots are fairly close.

How many of you guys hunt deer in the Rut? Maybe it's just me but, most of the bucks I see during the rut are moving on and if you don't shoot, you are going to be telling a story about the one that got away instead of rubbing the horns back at the camp.

I wouldn't advise any one who doesn't feel confident on moving shots to take them but, those that do, go for it.

It is no different than shooting skeet at your local trap range. In fact, trap shooting will help you be a better shot at moving big game.

One thing alot of guys don't do is put the proper lead on the critter. Even though you are shooting a fast rifle that target is gonna move before that bullet arrives.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bubbahusbands
posted Hide Post
I hunt here in louisiana and we run dogs when that season it open. It is very hard to shot at a running deer. I shot at 7 last year and shot 20 times. And didn't hit anything but air.

Posts: 7 | Location: Louisiana, USA | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reloader, i don't know if "jealous" is the right word; i simply want as many percentages as possible in my favor. no matter who you are, a running shot lowers the percentages.

if a deer were running, and if i choose not to take the shot, and the man standing next to me decides to take it and is successful, i wouldn't be jealous at all.....on the flipside, if he chose to take the shot and ended up splattering loin and hindquarter meat all over the place, i doubt that i would share any of the loin and hindquarter meat from my deer with him.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, since this thread keeps making its way back to the top, let me just say this:

I have never taken a running shot. If I did, I am 100% confident that I'd miss. Of course, that is with a rifle.

Archery is another story. I have killed a couple of deer on the trot. After I screwed up a 'walking' shot on a big whitetail years ago, I started practicing shooting at balloons inside tires that were coasting down a ropeline. We shot our bows about 3-4x/week for the 5 years I lived in Iowa while going to school.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Tas,

Notice I said most, not all. I'm not condeming everyone but, you know as well as I that most of the time alot of the complainers are those that are jealous.

You are right, it is a very low percentage shot and I do my best to avoid it. I am just simply saying that if you can (or you're pretty confident) then take the shot, You probably will not every get another chance at that particular trophy.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I would also like to add that the term "running" is very vague and there are many definitions or conditions that could fit into that category.

I would say that there are very difficult running shots and very easy running shots. It depends on the terrain and speed of the animal. If a Whitetail deer is in an open area at more or less a "trot," it is not too difficult to line up a good shot on him. under other circumstances it could differ.

Reloader

one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Did you say "running"?

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed my biggest buck while it was running after a doe. I drive a four wheeler, but I hunt from my legs. If more people put more into scouting and learning the habits of the game they are after they could the following:

1. Drive four wheelers to a spot

2. Walk to a stand point or area to be hunted

3. No where the trophy is because they no the game they are after

4a. Get as close as possible to the game and smack it

5. Drive in with the four wheeler and pick it up, avoiding a heart attack and possible back injury

4b. If unsuccessful, while driving out may spot a trophy deer that would be a safe a suitable shot standing there like a dummy. How many of us that work so hard placing stand, working our tails off all year on hunting ground, working up loads, shooting, spending money, etc. would pass that?

You can say you wouldn't, but you never know until you are placed in the situation.

Fortunately I have not been in that situation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I DO NOT shoot running deer,

UNLESS,

the rifle has open sights;

I have buzzed a bajillion rounds through it;

the area is OPEN no trees or other "things"to suck up slugs;

the ground is even so the deer will have consistent plane;

the distance is LESS then 100yds;

I AM STARVING and this will probably be my last chance at survival....

I do not shoot or shoot AT running game. Walking, striding, trotting, cantering, moseying, .......MAYBE and that is a very remote possibility MAYBE.

ATTENTION for the late comers ... the following is a parody regarding positions taken on the following string, please engage your sense of humor when reading this in light of the positions taken by others on other threasds when reading this following...

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=840764&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1

I DO NOT shoot running game......

********WHY anyone who would even THINK about shooting at some animal at a run has to be one of the most unethical, unsportsman, illogical animal hater SLOBS who we would all be so better off without, let alone TALK about it. Why the mere thought of anyone who thinks they have the skills to shoot at game as it travels at speed over the terrain is simply the wet dream Walter Mitty delusion of someone who in all probablity doesn't even have the skill to tie their shoes on the first few attempts; let alone shoot a moving target of just a few inches (kill zone) as it flows in an unpredicatalbe pattern over an nonconsistent surface filled with obstacles for the animal to deal with. THis surely has to be the height of not only arrogance but absurdaty of a nature...************* stop me if this sounds familiar to anyone...........

PARADOY OVER , you may resume your regular lifestyle whatever it is.

BUT, NO, I pass on all moving shots but slow walks or close(within 30yds) jump shots.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's unethicle to shoot deer if: they are over bait, from a elevated stand, out of a ground blind, if their moving, if there more than 50yd away, with a bow, with a muzzleloader, with a handgun, with a shotgun, with a rifle, over crops, in a swamp, under treas, within 400yd of a fence line, with a spear, if their running, if their facing away, if there facing toward you, if their breeding, if their eating, if your not shooting a D'arcy Echels(sp) pre-64 mod 70, if your cartridge has more power than a 300WM, if your cartridge has less power than a 30-06, if your not shooting the latest cartridge from Remchester, if their being chased by dogs/hounds, if they don't have horns, if they have less than 20 typical points (that's a 10 pointer to you western guys), if they score less than 750 on the B&C scale, if your not carrying 400 pounds of the latest "hi-tech" hunting gear on your new ATV.....etc, etc.

Anything I forgot? Anyone here a ethicle hunter? Or should we all admit that each hunter & situation is different, and if the methiod used is legal that is all anyone can ask?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... WHY anyone who would even THINK about shooting at some animal at a run has to be one of the most unethical, unsportsman, illogical animal hater SLOBS who we would all be so better off without, let alone TALK about it. Why the mere thought of anyone who thinks they have the skills to shoot at game as it travels at speed over the terrain is simply the wet dream Walter Mitty delusion of someone who in all probablity doesn't even have the skill to tie their shoes on the first few attempts; let alone shoot a moving target of just a few inches (kill zone) as it flows in an unpredicatalbe pattern over an nonconsistent surface filled with obstacles for the animal to deal with. THis surely has to be the height of not only arrogance but absurdaty of a nature...************* stop me if this sounds familiar to anyone...........

Hey LAWCOP, It is "impolite" to interrupt a person when he is making a fool of himself. To put it in perspective, you sure have a lot to learn.

I'd noticed another post you had made deriding Military Snipers as (words to the effect) not having the skill level to be a COP. Your lack of actual knowledge and experience is overwhelming!

---

Hey Tailgunner, Pretty good list. But you left out where AD firmly believes it is a bad idea for folks to actually "practice" shooting at paper. And of course, VGs "never take shoulder shots".

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

... WHY anyone who would even THINK about shooting at some animal at a run has to be one of the most unethical, unsportsman, illogical animal hater SLOBS who we would all be so better off without, let alone TALK about it. Why the mere thought of anyone who thinks they have the skills to shoot at game as it travels at speed over the terrain is simply the wet dream Walter Mitty delusion of someone who in all probablity doesn't even have the skill to tie their shoes on the first few attempts; let alone shoot a moving target of just a few inches (kill zone) as it flows in an unpredicatalbe pattern over an nonconsistent surface filled with obstacles for the animal to deal with. THis surely has to be the height of not only arrogance but absurdaty of a nature...************* stop me if this sounds familiar to anyone...........

Hey LAWCOP, It is "impolite" to interrupt a person when he is making a fool of himself. To put it in perspective, you sure have a lot to learn.

I'd noticed another post you had made deriding Military Snipers as (words to the effect) not having the skill level to be a COP. Your lack of actual knowledge and experience is overwhelming!

---

Hey Tailgunner, Pretty good list. But you left out where AD firmly believes it is a bad idea for folks to actually "practice" shooting at paper. And of course, VGs "never take shoulder shots".

WHAT IS this??? Tailgunner posts with tongue in cheek and it is recognized for what it is.
I do the same and someone actually takes it serious...SHEEEEEEEEESH.....

Second, you are going waaaaay out of the way to misquote or misrepresent what I posted. YOU sound like you have a serious bug up your ass. I never said ANY such thing, but then if you were ACCURATE then you couldn't rant.

I said there is a world of difference between military and police snipers. Police snipers have more restrictions for shooting and they DO have to be more "accurate" in their applications and in THEIR world. They do NOT have to contemplate shots past 200yds for all practical purposes. Very few military snipers will have to be able to split the hairs of their target. They shoot for center mass. They take chest shots at 600yds. the police sniper has to call which eye the bullet will go into at 45yds, what is the projected angle of exit the round will follow and what is behind the "target" that must not become a collateral damage shootee. I used to practice on a postage stamp at 50yds. About 99% of the police shootings of that nature take place at less then 100yds. I have seen them at as close a range with the scoped rifle as 25feet. It was a head shot.
The police shooters just operate in a different world then military snipers.
I probably don't know 3 "police" snipers who could successfully engage a target out past 800yds. They don't practice for it and they wouldn't be allowed to take the shot even if they did. Police snipers DO have much different considerations then military snipers to go with their different qualification standards. It's apples and oranges. IF my life depended on a tightly held critical shot at 45 yds, you bet your ass I want the cop taking the shot over the military sniper. The cop has done nothing BUT TRAIN just for that situation. THe military sniper has not. I'm not saying the military shooter couldn't do it, I am saying he hasn't trained for it the way the cop has. I have never met a military sniper who has said he has a hundred hours of training to take a 40yd shot.

I did say that I had the opportunity to see some SEALS do some shooting and I was underwhelmed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a shot at a running Caribou bull in Newfoundland once. It was a 175 yard offhand shot. My bullet placed four inches below his heart. Lucky shot, I guess. I probably wouldn't do it again if I had a choice, but this was after stalking him for a mile. When I finally came up on him around a copse of bushes, he must have winded me, and I wasn't about to let him go. The next day a Nor'easter came in and kept us in our cabin for the rest of the week. It was a good call after all.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, These pics were taken doing a helicopter survey in South Texas

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
You sure got lots of posts on this one! I have taken whitetail on the run, I prefer stationary or slow moving targets if possible. Anyone who has hunted knows you don't always get that kind of shot. Sometimes a running shot is all you will see in the whole season. A lot depends on what you have done in preparation, most people do not practice on a moving target. An old tire with a target in the center, rolled down a grade from a safe location can give you some practice, and also make a believer in shots at stationary targets only. Try jackrabbits with your hunting rifle!

I think a lot of importance is in how close you are to the animal. The closer the better. Some have a knack for this shot, some don't. So once again, it comes down to knowledge of your abilities and limits

One thing I have observed over many years of hunting, if you take the running shot, you likely have a tracking job/wounded animal on you hands, even if it was hit. Be ready for that.

The older I got, the more stationary targets I looked for. Even if, sometimes because I wanted it that way, it meant more time in the field.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I am a unethical, unsportsman, illogical animal hater SLOB who we would all be so better off without. Wow -I'v been called a lot of things but thats a new one.

If that is what you want to think of me - I'm fine with that. What people think of me on this computer does not bother me in the least. I am still going to shoot at running deer. I have killed far to many and whitnessed far more deer shot running. If you do not feel like doing it, then don't. I know my ability and my guns ability and you are not going to make me feel bad or guilty.

(Now I remember why I don't post much.)

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I guess I am a unethical, unsportsman, illogical animal hater SLOB who we would all be so better off without. Wow -I'v been called a lot of things but thats a new one.

If that is what you want to think of me - I'm fine with that. What people think of me on this computer does not bother me in the least. I am still going to shoot at running deer. I have killed far to many and whitnessed far more deer shot running. If you do not feel like doing it, then don't. I know my ability and my guns ability and you are not going to make me feel bad or guilty.

(Now I remember why I don't post much.)

OK, I GUESS I made a mistake in thinking THAT people read MOST of the posts that would appear on this section.

ALL MY original post was doing was parroting back what OTHERS had said about the people who shot game at OVER 200yds.(found under "long range hunting/shooting")

I HAVE SINCE EDITED MY PREVIOUS POST FOR CLARIFICATION PURPOSES....SEE ABOVE>>>>>

Those of us WHO DO take long range shots were called just about ...welll exactly what I posted back, especially when one of the people taking us to task is a fan of run and gun.

THAT is why I posted it set off with the ****** and finished with the "stop me if you have heard this before"

The INTENT was to draw attention to the fact that what some folks think is OK is deemed horrible by others and how quickly the other persons bull can be gored by smply being condemned simply based on a persons bias. Not on reasoned estimation of skill levels or training, Simply bias.

Obviously not EVERYONE reads all the related hunting headers making the connections between the topics, unclear and and misinformative. MY BAD to assume such.

Simply put, I do NOT make judgements on what other people do so long as what ever they do is WITHIN THEIR SKILL LEVEL, TO DO WHAT EVER QUICKLY AND HUMANELY. Whether I can do what they do is IRRELEVANT. If I can cleanly kill game at 400yds, and you can't, it shouldn't matter.

Same for running game. If you can kill game on a flat out run at 500yds, and you can do it cleanly and quickly, and I can't do that, I am NOT going to call you unethical or bad, I am going to ask you how did you learn to shoot like that and can you teach me.

Note to self. do not post ironic or sacastic statements from now on that are related to other threads, not everyone reads all the threads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I said there is a world of difference between military and police snipers. Police snipers have more restrictions for shooting and they DO have to be more "accurate" in their applications and in THEIR world. They do NOT have to contemplate shots past 200yds for all practical purposes. Very few military snipers will have to be able to split the hairs of their target. They shoot for center mass. They take chest shots at 600yds. the police sniper has to call which eye the bullet will go into at 45yds, what is the projected angle of exit the round will follow and what is behind the "target" that must not become a collateral damage shootee. ... IF my life depended on a tightly held critical shot at 45 yds, you bet your ass I want the cop taking the shot over the military sniper. The cop has done nothing BUT TRAIN just for that situation. THe military sniper has not. ...

No need at all for me to add anything to my original post except, "it depends on the constraints and demands of the mission".

To imply that Military Snipers "only" shoot long distance missions and are not concerned about "collateral damage" is addressed in my original post:
Quote: