Find
Notify
Tools

Little Idaho Buck (pics)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted
Hey all! Just back in today and the rut is finally on here on the Palouse. We got this one this afternoon.......my buddy Scott (pictured) whacked it with a .300 winnie at 180 yards.....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! Are they rutting there? Not much activity here yet.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the rut seem sto be finally getting underway. He was chasing a doe across the field. He was missing one incisor and the others were worn down to about the thickness of a nickel. I am guessing he was 7 years old. Earlier today we rattled in a little 4x3 to within 20 yards before he made us.....

IV

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweet buck!

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Little Idaho buck

So, what does a big buck look like?!!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck alright!!

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IV, Really nice buck. You probably know this, but it's impossible to judge age based on incisal wear, instead, you need to look at the mandibular molars, specifically the 3rd and 4th. How wide is the visible dentin (it's brown) and how much is the lingual cusp tip (tongue side) worn? If you take a pic of the mandibular molars, I'll age it for you.

Posts: 40 | Location: northern NY | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tis a beautiful buck, to me it appears young from this pic. I would not (from this pic) guess it to be close to 7.

To me it appears just a bit imature and getting close to being an adult.

Nevertheless it is a nice deer, and not tossing any grenades about it, just my unsolicited 12 cents worth.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey IV, Congratulations to your buddy. Great flick too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on! Thats a good looking deer, congrats on your hunt.

DTH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tell your buddy congrats on a fine whitey--chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
IV, if you need to cull anymore of those "little" bucks, Just drop me a line Big Grin.

Nice Buck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
IV, if you need to cull anymore of those "little" bucks, Just drop me a line Big Grin.

Nice Buck!

Reloader

Yeah, and if Reloader can't make it - let me know.

Nice buck! Let us know if you get it aged. I am thinking it may be 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 - but my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Nice Buck about 18" - 20" can't realy tell, usually use the ears. About 3yrs I guess, maybe. It's been along time since I was in the primative country (fork of Salmon river). That was many many years ago. About 1953, I think. We lived in Boise then. Beautiful country, back then the salmon runs were something to see. We would walk out in the river and pick up a female for the eggs and then tie them in cheese cloth and a trebble hook, what fun. Oh well. Again, great deer.

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Vandal: Good for you and your team-mates on the harvest of his fine trophy!
Man after my own heart there with the long barrelled heavy rifle with the big scope and the Harris Bi-pod!
Very similar to the rig I have been using the last several years!
Long live the Palouse country!
Even before anyone commented - when I first saw the picture and thought to myself is that Deer 3 1/2 years old or 4 1/2 years old+?
I don't know - those are just the thoughts that went through my mind when I saw the picture. I have no expertise really when it comes to scientifically aging Deer. I am pretty good at 1 1/2 year old Deer as well as 2 1/12 year old and 3 1/2 year old Deer. But after 3 1/2 years of age it neccessitates more expertise than I have! But I am pretty good at recognizing the rare Deer that are older than 3 1/2 years of age. I just can't tell you how much older they are!
Fine trophy again for your bud!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Yeah, aging is hard to do in the field. Scott, (the guy who shot it) is a wildlife biologist for the USFS down in Oregon, he may send some of the lowers off to some lab in Montana that does aging. He thinks it is much older and past its prime but who knows.....

IV