THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Options for a Fall 2015 or 2016 Fall black bear hunt.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Options for a Fall 2015 or 2016 Fall black bear hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Okay, I did a Fall Black Bear hunt in 2010 out of Elk City Idaho, and I am wanting to do a re-ride in 2015 for my 65th. birthday if possible.

Unfortunately, it appears that the outfit I hunted with in 2010 is no longer in business. So the search begins.

Parameters are, I want to do this in 2015, but holding off until 2016 is not out of the question. I am interested in a Fall hunt only. I know spring hunts are successful, but would rather do the hunt close to my birthday.

I also want to do a hunt in a two bear area. Odds are this will be my last bear hunt and one of my goals is to kill a bigger bear than the one I killed in 2010, which was about 165 pounds, so it won't take a monster to beat that. Also the meat was excellent.

I want to do a hunt over bait, I know a spot & stalk hunt would be exciting and would not be totally adverse to the idea as I have done my share of spot & stalk for various species over the years and been fairly successful.

I have no interest at all in doing a hunt with dogs, nothing against those that like that form of hunting, but my only ideas of hunting with dogs is quail or pheasant or good retrievers when hunting waterfowl.

Any suggestions of an outfitter/guide service will be greatly appreciated.

I am also going to post this in the Canadian Hunting section, because I have hunted in Canada twice and Lora and I both really enjoyed our trips there.

Many thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions/information.

Randall

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ontario might be the place to go as they only have a fall Bear season.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard too many varying reports on Ontario.

Most States/Provinces that have bear offer Fall seasons, finding a place with the possibility of two bears narrows the field somewhat as does hunting over bait.

The unit I hunted in Idaho in 2010 had a fall season and a two bear limit.

Another aspect that I will be addressing with outfitters/guides is fishing possibilities on the hunt as my wife will be with me and we had good trout fishing about 5 miles from the camp we were hunting out of in Idaho.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not look into Alaska? Some areas have 3 bear limits, great fishing and year round seasons.

Posts: 247 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For years I have thought about a D-I-Y hunt on Prince Of Wales Island for Sitka Blacktail and Black Bear with fishing included, but the logistics of getting there are a problem.

Admittedly, Lora and I drove to Newfoundland in 1996, with a stop in New Brunswick for an Atlantic Salmon fishing trip on the Miramichi River, but that was almost 20 years ago.

Going to Idaho or one of the Canadian Provinces is a lot more doable. We will be driving to the hunt destination, and I plan on bringing back all of the meat and the hides, and I simply do not want to mess with a D-I-Y when I will have a better chance with a guide who knows what they are doing and has the facilities where Lora and I will be comfortable during the hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If costs aren't as big of an option, thou could take the Alaskan marine highway from Bellingham Washington to just about any port. There are lots of world class lodges and guides, do a lodge based boat bear hunt and you'd be able to take all the meat with a bit of planning. But if you are looking for simpler, obviously Idaho or Canada would be that. Isn't there a guy on here that regularly posts bear hunts in Idaho?

Posts: 247 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you plan on eating the bear meat, stay off the coast. On the other hand you may go home with a pile of awesome seafood.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was part of my thinking. Before I killed my one and only bear I had heard all sorts of differing opinions as to the edibility of bear meat and as to which meat, if any was best, meat from a Fall bear or meat from a Spring bear.

The one I killed was delicious, and everyone we gave meat to thought it tasted great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Randall why not DIY near elk city I've hunted Elk there 5 or six times and have seen bear every time I've hunted there. I think you need a permit but on a couple of trips my cousins that lived there baited and could have shot bears. but if you have time and can rent or borrow a small rv i believe you would be successful. Bruce

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you could stay in Elk city across from the reno club the last time I was there. Find a likely spot and drive from there. save your food scraps in a good metal garbage pail for a couple weeks before you go.

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apart form white tails/pronghorns and possibly mulies, D-I-Y hunts have became beyond my idea of fun.

Between age/health and supposedly being retired, D-I-Y hunts become more work and less fun.

10 years ago I would have considered it, but the long days of doing guided hunts begin to work on me any more.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I wasn't going to africa next year I would try to get my cousins to go hunt and invite you along. I still own a wall tent that is near elk city I wish the wolfs hadn't made the elk hunting so poor I would go there every year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the thought Bruce. Lora and I really enjoyed our trip up there. Beautiful country with good fishing not too far from the camp.

Hope your Africa trip is all you have dreamed it will be.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Northcountrylodge.com has a place in Maine and one in Ontario. Highly recommend them.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the info. tu2

It appears however that my bear hunt is being short circuited to get ready for a trip to Ireland in 2017.

As much as I want to do the bear hunt, family obligations are involved with the Ireland trip.

So my proposed bear hunt may turn into a chance to hunt Red Stag for a few days and fish the river Shannon for Salmon and Trout.