New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 days of hard bear hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
And nothing to show for it. A co-worker had a Wis. kill tag for this year he blew a chance with his muzzle loader the first few days of season. He missed around a 300 pounder.

So he called me and asked if I could help him out. I killed my bear the first day so I had this week off on vacation to do my bear hunt so I told him to come up and we would run some for him.

He showed up at my freinds hunting camp at 6am Weds morning I meet him and we were off. We started a bear about 730 ran it for about 2 hrs we saw it once and another guy saw it once. We knew he was then on the small size. We put it up a tree and decided that it was to small for the first day. It was legal bear but about 125.

We then put the dogs on a good track of about a 200lb or so bear the chase was on about 1.5 hrs later the dogs were treeing. When we got into the tree there was a bear about 50 lbs so we caught up the dogs and went in for a afternoon break.

We spent the rest of that afternoon the next day and today trying to get up a bear. Yesterday none of the baits were hit not tracks were found I put on over 200miles looking for track nothing. A tough day.

Today we had 4 baits hit dropped the dogs off on the best looking one about a hr later they seemed bayed up we went in they were bayed into a bear den. Pulling out the dogs the lead one came out with a face full of porkupine quills. spent the next .5 hrs pulling quills and getting out of the woods. I took my light and looked into the den nothing but a porkupine.

Went to the next bait dropped the dogs they picked nothing up. One of the other guys found a nice track made some time last night. Good guess about 250 plus. Dropped of one cold trailer couldn't get the bear going . Found another good track put down a couple of dogs the bark around for a hr or so but never did get it jumped.

Went to the next bait now its getting hot and dry dropped dogs but they came right back.

Went to the last bait a dropped dogs they worked for a hr or so but couldn't get the bear going.

My freind started to turn around and broke a drag link on his trk. so we called it a day.

3 days around 500 miles on my trk alone, a dog full of quills, a broken trk and No bears.

I quess thats why they call it hunting and not killing.

A fun time had by one and all. cheers

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote