THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Which .375 H&H would You prefer and why (CZ 550 or Sako 75)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .375 H&H would You prefer and why (CZ 550 or Sako 75)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which of these two .375 H&H's would you prefer and why, take it as a given that you would be having the cz restocked, therefore restocked CZ550 V's Sako 75 stainless synthetic (not new safari model). I have just gotton rid of a terrible .22 mag and I think I might invest the money from that in a .375 H&H and have narrowed to the above mentioned two.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

As I remember you have a CZ in 416 Rigby so I would get a 375 in CZ instead of Sako.

Also, I have never been comfortable mixing up rifles with 90 degree bolt lifts and the 60 or 70 degrees of the Sako, Wbys etc.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I�ve been faced with exactly this descision just a little while ago. Finally I opted for the CZ. Why? I was and am planning to build a "perfect" wooden stock for myself, the price of the Sako was about twice that of the CZ (even including the blank for the CZ) and finally I could get a CZ as fast as my license could be processed but the Sako's were delayed because of possible change of distributor (in Sweden) and Finland joining the "Euro-crowd".

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I like mauser actions, and close derivatives, so the CZ would be the natural choice.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks, Mike is right I do own a cz in .416 rigby and I suppose it would make sense to have a matched pair, same scope etc. I am thinking that one day if I ever go overseas I can see the merits in having a .375 and a .416 combination as others on this forum have pointed out (as opposed to .338 & .416). I would load a 270 gr woodleigh in the .375 for plains game and a 410 gr in the .416 for buff which I think at this stage is the only dangerous animal I would really like to hunt. I think the .375 would be ideal for zebra (which I would love to hunt) with the 270 gr. I just reckon loaded specifically they are quite different calibres. I have only shot a .416 Rigby and not a .375 H&H and I imagine the .375 is much more managable recoil wise??.

The gundealers in my town are all sako mad, but I reckon that big solid cz action and it's magazine capacity is a real gem and with a bit of work can be a much better rifle in the large calibers than a sako. The sako is $800 Aus $ dearer and at the end of the day do you get $800 more rifle??

Lastly I like calibres that have somekind of history, thats why I own a .22 hornet, 45/70 & .416 Rigby. Thanks for your opinions there appreciated.

Regards Paul.

------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

Since you would be using both 375 and 416 in Australia, where you will not be shooting only a few shots over a week or so, you will find that 375 has far less recoil than the 416s.

375 seems to me to be at a threshold. So in that regard I think the gap between the 416 and 375 is very large. Also the 375 will give you lots of Hornadies etc. to shoot and play with, especially those 220 Hornady flat noses.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Model 70. Why? Because it is mine.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike those 220 gr flatnoses would be pretty lethal on ferals, and I imagine they would be scooting along!!!. I reckon it would be good if nosler made a .375 ballistic tip and even one for the .416 especially for practice and using the bigbores on smaller stuff.

Regards PC

------------------

<Ozhunter>
posted
PC,

Try the Hornady 225gn Spire Points, even getter on grunters :-))

I tried Taipan 300gn RN's but they went straight through hogs of of 80-100kg, the 225's on the other hand are like a Ballistic tip in their performance on pigs. Only down side is they are quite short, but shoot pretty good in my 602.

I prefer them for ballistics over the flat noses. Part # 3706 in boxes of 100 for @AUS$60

<Ola>
posted
I would take the CZ: You may have a look at my experience about the Sako 75 in "Sako or Winchester?" started 11. jan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Point taken it seems from yours and Mike's advice it is now out of a choice b/w the cz and winchester m70. You make some really good points Ola. The winchester and cz are both cheaper than the sako as well.

Regards PC

------------------

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I picked up a nice SS Model 70 with an Answer Products muzzle break, nice trigger and aftermarket iron sights for $650. For the money, I think it's a darn fine rifle.

For hunting, it's been great to me so far. It's not much of a penis extender, I must admit, but I don't need one of those.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the two I'd take the CZ hands down....but given a choice I'd find a used pre 64 M-70 Win. or a Mauser like a Interarms Whitworth Express, on that order....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote