Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Old Weaver scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
Ok now how would you compare them to the "Wal-mart" grade luepolds and nikons. (rifleman/prostaff)

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Bought a '99 Savage in 250-3000 with a K 6 on it that had to be rebuilt. Came back like new! Went right back on the '99 and works just fine.

I'll continue to look for them at gun shows, for the right price.

Usually take some of those "dime store" scopes with me to swap or sell.

Don't shop at "Wally World" for serious hunting or shooting stuff, (oh, maybe a shirt in Blaze Orange) so can't compare.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've four: two 2.5x, a 1.5x, a V9, a K12 and had a KT15.

The reticle on one 2.5x broke but only because I put my finger through it. I was on the stand and the ocular was fogged so I removed the ocular to wipe the inside and my pinky accidentally went in the scope; only proves fogging leads to broken reticles)

I agree with Pdoggie, glass only so-so compared with todays mid-ranged scopes. Blued finish goes well with period guns, which is what I mount them on. For a go-to rifle I would choose a modern scope, and even then give it a freezer or warm water test every few years and before a critical hunt.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a K3 on my slug gun, and have complete faith in it. I just read an article by Ross Seyfreid in, I believe, RIFLE magazine about the BS involved in scopes nowadays. My favorite quote from that article was, " When was the last time you heard somebody say their Weaver scope failed?"

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote