New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need your BEAR recipies.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on the Recipies site but no luck. Thought that I would try it here.

I am looking for Bear recipies of any type.

Thanks,

Sam
eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam, this is going to be of no help but this is my experience with bear meat.

Either it is pretty darned good and I can cook it just like I would beef, or it is so cotton picking awfull that I cannot stay in the kitchen while it is cooked.

So, I have no recipies for bear. The last one I shot I cooked just like any other meat. But a fellow gave me some he shot on the same mountain the next year and I could not possibly eat it.

Having said that, the best bear meat I ever ate was pit barbequed.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Just about any cut from the bear bar-b-q'd. My own favorite is the back straps. I personaly like most meat rare but bear has its best flavor well done. Sorry no super fancey recipies. Try it in place of beef in a stew.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cook it like you would other meats. Have had it in stews and roasts mainly. The quality of the meat is usually dependent upon handling. Usually it is bad when the hunter is trying to save a hide for a rug and they do not open the bear up immediately and/or large enough to get the innards out and the meat cooled down.

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seldom shoot a bear unless it's damaging the corn crop to much. I use this recipe mostly when I do .... OK Frank, it's all yours, hope you enjoy it!

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like TSJ's cookin'. I normally get the hide off as fast a possible then take the whole thing down to get made into pepperoni sticks and summer sausage. My kids love it and its really easy to give away. I will not waste meat from an animal I kill, but I really do not care for bear. I love to hunt them though.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I really recomend for bear is to marinade it in Sam Fadala's "universal mariade", 2 eggs and 2 cups of milk with some pepper, and some other spices of choice. Change the mariande after 24 hours and put a new batch on then again dispose after 24 hours. Really make it tender and takes out that taste people don't like.

I really like non-dump bears and personally a bears thats been eatin berries tastes better than a deer thats been eating bitter acorns, but thats just me.

The advice for stewing or BBQing bear is good. Just cook it at least to medium because of the risk of tricanosis (as much as I like rare meat!).

Best recipe I have is to use bear instead of beef for beef burgendy (or in this case, ours bourguignon).

3lbs or so of bear
6oz of bacon
3tbles spoons of butter
12 oz pearl onions
12oz musherooms
1 onion finely chopped
1 carrot finely chopped
3 garlic cloves
3 tble spoons flour
1 1/4 pints of red wine
1 1/2 tbles spoons of tomato paste
1_1/4 pints beef stock
bouquet garni (stalk of celery tied with parsley, bay leaves and other herbs)
1 tble spoon of parlsey for garnish:

1: cut bear into 2" cubes; and cut bacon into thin strips

2: Cook bacon in casrole over meduim heat until golden brown, remove most excess fat

3: increase heat slightly and start adding bear pieces, and brown on all sides, keep adding raw bear and taking away browned bear until all is browned.

4: When all bear is browned pour off excess fat and put 1/3 of butter melt it. Add chopped onion, garlis and carrot, saute for 4 minutes until tender. Sprinkle flour and cook 2 minutes. Add wine, stock, tomato puree, and bouquet garni. Bring to boil while scrapping bottom of the pan.

5: Return bear and bacon to casserole, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 3 hours.

6: As beat cooks, in another pan melt 1/3 butter and saute pearl onions until golden. Remove from pan.

7: melt 1/3 butter saute mucherooms in same pan as onions

8: Add onions and musherooms to in the last 30 minutes of the bears cooking.

9: Serve with new potatos, crusty bread, and a nice burgendy wine or other full bodied red wine. It takes awhile but its a great dish for cold days!!

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote