Notify
Tools

.300 WSM strikes again!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Hello everyone

Check out what I got yesterday afternoon right at dark. He's not a monster, but he's a great buck considering where I got him. I killed him on a 7 acre peice of commercial property that my family owns. It's about a mile from my house and we live about 30 minutes north of Houston near Tomball, TX. I didn't really think I would have a shot at a buck on this land. I found a fresh scrape and decided to set up a stand. 2 days later, got him. He is deceiving, he actually scores close to 120 B&C with only a 12 inch spread credit! 10 inch G2's, 8-9 inch G3's, and 5-6 inch brow tines. Ammo used was a Winchester Supreme 150 gr. Ballistic Silvertip. Shot him at about 50 yards through both shoulders, taking out both lungs and the top of the heart. What do ya'll think of that story?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn fine trophy, I can smell the backstraps on the grill now.............................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
It's extremely rewarding to have a plan come together so well! I'm glad I use a Leopold Vari X-III with a 50 mm objective, because it was late when I shot and I wouldn't have gotten him if I was using some cheap scope. Gun is a Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker with a Limbsaver recoil pad (love it).

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
That's a great little buck! And you're smiling! What more could you want? Don't judge your trophies by someone elses standards. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great buck and a nice story. thumb

Congratulations,
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a great buck from that area! Well done and congratulations.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey ES, Congratulations on a "City" Buck.

Got a problem with that ammo though. There is another thread currently going that the Experts claim Standard Grade Ammo just isn't worth buying. Wink

Wait a minute Winchester "Supreme", ah yes, that might be OK to use. Big Grin

50mm Objective?!?!?!?! HA I like them too! Hard to beat them during those Twilight Periods at the ends of the day. Got the HEAVY Duplex in all of mine, and it works right well too.

Congratulations on patterning the Buck and then taking it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a nice buck!! Congratulations.. Those "city deer" can be hard to hunt. I hunted just out of the city but on 400acres years ago but next to a subdivision. Seems like those does would bust me almost every time I went out!!
Again, nice deer..

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Hot Core

Yeah, I know some people just don't like buying factory ammo, but I get GREAT performance out of my Browning A-Bolt with this load. They are the Winchester Supreme which are made with Nosler Partition bullets. I went to check my gun at the range on Sunday morning. Shot a 3-shot 7/16 inch group at 100 yards (They closed the 200 yd. range). I can't imagine anything better than that.