New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 7mm and .270 WSM
 Login/Join

<buffalo_buster>
posted
Winchester just announced two new cartridges for WSM family. .270 and 7mm WSM.

Now I can not wait to buy a .270 WSM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....first thought says mountain rifle (in a short action type arm similar to Remington's #7) second thought says Why not better? now thoughts of 8mm and .338 and .375 WSMs now fill my head...

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Matt77>
posted
Show me the beef!
Where's the 8mm? We'll never see it factory, but,
I have a good feeling about the future of the 338 wsm.
I'll take one in the 270 class please.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey fellas,

have you seen they're chambering their "coyote" M70s in 300, 270 and 7mm WSM?
http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/md70/wsm/m70_wsm_family.htm
It'll kill alright, just seems to me to be a bit much for such a little animal. My opinion they should come out with a 6.5, 257, or 6mm WSM for this specific rifle. whay do you guys think?

------------------

<chris_m>
posted
I am baffled at why they would make both a 270 WSM and a 7mm WSM? Should have been one or the other along with a 8mm WSM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the browning rep told me to expect the rifles in by may but maybe some as early as march, i really want a 270 wsm because you get 270 wthby ballistics at half the price, brass, rifle, ammo, everything, i could care less about the short mag deal hell i very seldom have to carry a rifle more than 300yds to a stand

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

I doubt they'd ever sell as many 8mm WSMs as they would 300, 270, 7mm, and possibly 338 WSMs. It's an idea I like myself, however my guess is the next WSM(s) to come off the production line will be either 338, 375, or 6mm/243 (especially since a 243 wsm fits the ideal for a coyote/ varminter modle much better then a 300, 270, or 7mm).

------------------

<Hoyt>
posted
I was thinking serously about the 7mm WSM in the Model 70 Featherweight until I saw it weighs 7-1/2lbs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
could be worse. could be 5lbs.

------------------

<Bill>
posted
I don't think the 270 WSM will get the velocity of the wby.

However I think I will buy one hwne the time comes

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<buffalo_buster>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill:
[B]I don't think the 270 WSM will get the velocity of the wby.

I think .270 WSM can duplicate the performance of .270 Weatherby atleast in factory loads. Winchester is introducing a factory load with 130 grain bullet at 3275 fps for the WSM while Federals numbers for the weatherby counterpart are 3200fps with 130 grainer.
130 at close to 3300 fps is one heck of a long range hunting load.
BB

<Bill>
posted
The published data for the 270 WSM in the 130 grain bullet is 3275, while the WBY is getting 3375. The numbers from Winchester on the 300 WSM were right on when we chronographed the ammo.

I can easily get 3500 with a 130 from my 270 wby, I just don;t see the WSM getting anywhere near this fast.

On the other hand, there is little need to go faster then 2275 with a 130 grain bullet anyway.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see the .270 wsm as a big-time barrel burner. With the bore diameter and bullet weights available, even for handloading, It doesn't make it more than what the .270 Win already is. You are not turning it into a brown bear/moose gun. All you are doing is flattening a trajectory which is already plenty flat for the 300 yards which is most hunters max range. Even at 400 yards, the wind drift and range estimation is the problem, and the WSM won't help with that very much.

And you are not making a 150 grain bullet any more effective on elk by giving it an extra 200 fps at the muzzle.

In exchange, you will get shorter barrel life and enough extra recoil and muzzle blast to make it mildly unpleasant to practice.

I'd rather use the 7mm WSM, with the heavier bullets available, to make a lighter rifle than a normal 7mm Mag and have a greater effect on elk and moose.

The Browning Stainless Stalker is a 6-3/4 lb rifle that shoots very small groups, smaller than any Winchester you could buy. Many do not like its foreign manufacture or less-traditional construction, but the rifle is perfect for crappy-weather mountain hunting and in the 7mm WSM with a 160 grain bullet at 3000 fps packs more wallop than any .270. With a handloaded 175 grain bullet, it would be even better.

The .270 WInchester is perfectly balanced and for deer and such there isn't any improvement to be made. Which is why the Weatherby offering has languished, and no real others come even close.

Of course, some guys just wanna a new rifle, and for that, the .270 WSM is just great.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i will not shoot one more than 40 times a year so with good cleaning so even if barrel life is 1000 rds it will last me 25 yrs then i will be 51 it will be time to buy another rifle, if i need a gun for brown bear or elk i will buy another rifle

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't understand why they are bringing out both a .270 and a .284 based on the same case....0.277" vs 0.284" isn't much of a difference with the .284 having only a 5% increase in cross-sectional area. The only real advantage I can think of goes to the .284 with a bigger selection of bullets.

Those who profess a passion for an 8mm over a .338 also seem to be swimming against the tide....I think Remington learned it's lesson with their 8mm RemMag....great case but no one seemed to like the diameter of the bullet.....and again, a much bigger selection with the .338 diameter.

If I were making the choices it would be for a 7mm WSM, the .300WSM, the .338 WSM and a .375WSM.....these four will do it for anyone.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<buffalo_buster>
posted
DB,
I agree with your selection of catridges on WSM case but with one exception. I think .270 is a good idea and 7mm should be dropped. .270 is still america's sweetheart and there are no choices in factory rifles except .270 Win and .270 Weatherby. On the other hand there is a whole army of 7mm's in the market, 6 of them from Remington alone. It's safe to say that 7mm is a Remington territory and .270 is Winchester's,and it makes sense to introduce a new brother to your decades old but still strong product.
BB

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's no shock to me that they made both a .270 and a 7mm on the same case. There'll be people who'll buy plenty of both (how many folks do you know have a 270Win and a .280 Rem at home? I know plenty). What throws me off is why they'd announce them both at the same time. I'd figure you'd want to pair up a big bore and a small bore at the same time, ie 7mm and 338/375 or 270 and 6mm.

as for 8mm, the only thing wrong with it, as Ray Atkinson pointed out in one of my topics in gunsmithing is that bullet selection is horrid. My guess is the only time you'll see and 8mm WSm/SAUM is when some nut job like me wildcats it and builds a rifle around it. Still a shame no matter how you slice and dice it.

------------------

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
You can get whatever "WSM" cartridge you want right now, just call Jim Busha at Heavy Express and order it. Jim has two lines of cartridges (short action and standard action) based on the .348 Win case -- itself based on the .50-100 Winchester.

Winchester knocked off his .300 and named it the .300 WSM. I ordered a 284 from him for a drawing prize, and also am looking at the .460...jim

His data and ballistics are at: www.heavyexpress.com

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a .270 WSM is redundant, we already have the .270 Weatherby, I can make 3200fps out of my .270win in a 24" barrel, and a 7mm Rem mag is way better 139's at 3400fps, and 175's at 3000.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSF.....wow! Those are some loads you're cranking down the barrel..care to share you secret ingredients?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it was Boddington in Guns & Ammo that said they brought out both cartridges(.277 & .284) because some people want one or the other for example I would love a .270 WSM, but wouldn't walk across the street for a 7mm or .300 WSM. We the gun buying public are just fickle that way I guess :-)

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's an evil thought (if it'll work)
.35 WSM or .40 WSM.

BTW, am I alone in thinking that their M70 Clasic Featherweight is looking really nice?
------------------

[This message has been edited by Curtis_Lemay (edited 12-03-2001).]

posted Hide Post
Here's another evil thought. What if.... we took the wildly popular 7mm STW and enlarged it to 8MM STW!!!!!!!!!!! WOW we'd all clean up.

You'd only have to change a headstamp..!!!!!

Sorry, I just had to get a lick in!

Good huntin' guys.
Dave

[This message has been edited by djd (edited 12-04-2001).]

Posts: 9 | Location: usa | Registered: 13 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
djd,

check out my post in gunsmithing called evil thoughts the return. You want a 8mm to beat all 8mms...that's what you're after.

------------------

<redleg155>
posted
Check the latest "Rifle" magazine. Ross Seyfried had excellent results with RL25 and the 300 and 270 WSM (not a typo, RL25 - TwoFive). I met with him at the NRA show last May and he mentioned the 270 WSM he was having put together then. Should be more on the 270 WSM coming from him by summer or so.

redleg

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I want one. But make mine in .257! Look out whitetails!

Yeeeeee Haaaaaaw!

------------------
Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ya know, the more i think about it the more i like the idea of the M70 Clasic Featherweight in 7mm WSM as a nice mountain rifle. Am I alone on this one? sorry 270 lovers, 7mm just has better bullet selection and better tragectory then the 30s.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
djd and Curtis....I assume you were posting with your tongue "firmly in your cheek" ..isn't the 7STW simply the 8mmRemMag necked down to 7mm?

one of us
posted Hide Post
DB,
I never mentioned anything about a necked up STW. My 8mm project involved cutting back and necking down a 416 Rigby....

------------------

<jeremy w>
posted
I would wear most of them out in a year. I'd rather have a gun that is fun and feasible to practice with. Familiarity with the setup is going to be more beneficial than FPS.

<duckster>
posted
I think the .338 WSM holds more interest for me than the smaller rounds. I think this would make a wonderful chambering in a all weather stainless rifle for all of N. America.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I still am salivating over the prospect of having a .257 WSM. I am guessing comparable or better velocities than .257 Weatherby, better accuracy due to a more efficient case design, and a lightweight browning or Winchester rifle at half the Weatherby price. Can I get it in time for Christmas?

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
A 270 and a 35. In a short action pump, about 7 lbs, with a tang safety. Yeah, and a laminate stock, and a blind magazine.

Man, I hate setting myself up for disappointment like that...... LOL! That 35 would be just about the perfect elk rifle, though.

O.K, I'd be happy with a 7mm instead of the 270....., and a 375 instead of the 35.

Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I am waiting for the 6.5 WSM. Then it will be close to 100% useless.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
At 7.5 lbs the only "Featherweight" thing about the Win mod 70 is its name!

------------------
"Certified Rifle Crank!"

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see what comes of all these new chamberings winchester and remington have introduced, the ultra mag range and the wsm series. If some of them do not catch on various people could be stuck with rifles in chamberings found in obsolete cartridges of the world and thus brass etc. will be difficult to come by not to mention re-sale on rifles in those chamberings.

I can't see why winchester would produce a .270 and a 7mm this does not make any senese, it should be one or the other and I can see a possible plan of trying to cover all market bases and then dropping the one not meeting sales expectations. In my opinion it would be better to choose 4-5 bullet diameteres across the spectrum and make a family of cartridges that would cover all game from small to large from say .25 through to .416 even. In b/w would be the .270, 30 cal then .338 diameter.

And were does Remingtons USM 7mm and .30 cal magnums fit into this they have offered these rifles in there model seven. Who will win the market share for all these new offerings.

I reckon remington should stick with the ultramag line of cartridges and winchester the wsm line and then both companies offer chamberings in either group of cartridges. I reckon if remington produced rifles in the winchester wsm chamberings they would out sell winchester anyway.

On a final note out of all the new cartridge families introduced in recent times my vote goes to the ultramag lineup.

Theres my 10 bob's worth anyway.

Regards PC.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I like the WSM. I mean, why not?

Some people say they are solving a problem that doesn't exist, but so what? If you want one, buy it, and help the economy!

I bet shooters said the same thing when the .300 Win Mag came out- "We've got the 30-06, and the .300 H&H- what do we need it for?" And I'm sure gun writers hyped it up, and longtime shooters grumbled. Of course we didn't have the internet then...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That .243 WSM will be the ticket alright. It'll give the .240 Weatherby a real run for its money. Yeah yeah yeah.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote