New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broder Buck Ebay auction!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody else see this? Maybe I'm just a bit naive but I couldn't believe what people would pay for another man's trophy. Granted, it is an amazing specimin but GEEEZUUUUSSSS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=3126706680

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
JTG

Imagine what kind of great hunts you could have for 170,000$ and these nuts are paying that for soemthing they haven't shoot them selves.

Nuts, nuts , nuts [Eek!] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! Missed another one. [Frown]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
$170,000 and it did not make the reserve.WOW.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would rather have a forkhorn that I shot myself as that buck.

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
son of a b*#$@! I can't even imagine somebody spending that much money on someone else's trophy. I can see buying trophy's, don't have a problem with it, like restuarants that have them up, you know the waiters didn't go out and get it all. Even some people want them in their house, I personally wouldn't buy somebody elses, but being willing to pay 170000!!!!!???????

I'll never understand some things....

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this page and see the wierd stuff the high bidder has been bidding on . . . collectible Nike running shoes and old Swatch watches. Pretty atypical purchases for someone willing to pay $170K for a WR mule deer I think. Anybody wanna bet the high bidder is an intern working for Dick Cabela?

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=7153

Just a guess. [Wink]

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
This is bullshit paying this kinda money for something that the only bragging rights you have is ownership and to me it just says for the buyer that they have more money than brains.Shit like this is what fuels all the illegal fires along. [Mad]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

I agree! I'm thinking someone could easily take each of the big five with that kind of money.

JohnTheGreek

one of us
posted Hide Post
[Razz] Damn, You could do the grand slam on sheep for that kind of money [Smile]

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
If I were ever lucky enough to take a World Record buck I would secure the marketing rights, have antler copies made (and mounted), sell the original and laugh all the wy to the bank! This would set me up for hunting trips the rest of my life.

I have no interest in buying any one elses mounts. The fun in hunting is collecting your own!

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iron,

I have never even considered selling any of my taxidermy but, I agree, it would be hard to pass up anything near $200K for a mule deer mount . . . I don't care how big it is! With that kind of money, one could, as mentioned above, do an entire grand slam of sheep and have money left over to hunt any other continent on the planet. When the best elephant hunt around maybe costs you $40K or White Rhino is $65K, I think it puts this auction into perspective.

JohnTheGreek

one of us
posted Hide Post
While I would never pay big money for a mount, I do think it is good that these trophies are preserved for future Antler Addicts, such as myself, to see. Most of these big Money antlers are bought then put on display. Ed Broder is very old and his family would rather have the money. I have bought nice racks in the past because the owner didn't want them anymore. I didn't buy them to brag, but to let the buck live on in some sense.

If Cabelas bought the rack then it would be on display for all to see. And they would still have enough to do a sheep grandslam (including a Marco Polo just for measure) and take the big 5 5 times over. Go to a Cabelas store to see truely amazing displays of animals.

I forgot to add that the sales of antlers does have a negative effect in that Poaching trophy animals increases as prices go up.

[ 06-13-2003, 20:06: Message edited by: MGC ]

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While i am not an antler collector, i am a deer enthusiast. I have seen many top heads from the united states, mainly whitetails, and understand that they are worth a large sum of money. The guy who used to own the jordan buck and hole in the horn before he sold his collection to bass pro, had them insured for $150,000 +. These older deer, similar to this broder buck, had a lot of history which adds to the "value" of the buck.

Personally i think they are all nuts. I would rather spend a large sum of money and try and get a booner of my own, or do the slam of wild sheep. Hell for that kind of money i could buy that alberta minister tag for bighorn that keeps bringing 150,000+ at the FNAWS show, and have a shot at my own world record!

just my two cents.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The new issue of Outdoor Life has a story on the antler black market that is a little alarming. I think this is a clear cut case of having WAY too much money.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 375hnh:
The new issue of Outdoor Life has a story on the antler black market that is a little alarming. I think this is a clear cut case of having WAY too much money.

Two years ago a friend of mine had a break in, they took two grizzly rugs and a few other of his tophy's among those a very nice Maral stag and a Iranian Ibex [Mad] [Mad]

A police officer I know said that it's happends every year and the trophys are sold to foreign customers. What kind of sickies are hanging other hunters tophy's on their walls.

/ JOHAN