New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Norma Magnum
 Login/Join

<karel potyka>
posted
I do have opportunity by 308 Norma Magnum just for US$275 Made by H,Dumoulin Milmort-Liech made in Belgium. Rifle is like new from one owner. Butiful stock and set to me like she was made for me. I do like this rifle, but I do knot know anythig about this caliber.I do hunt in Canada-B.C. Beside I do own Win.270 and Sako375H&H. Anything help!!
Thank you Karel

<Mark>
posted
Hello,
Sounds like a good deal.
If I remember correctly the 308 norma is based on the 338 winchester.
Here is a message I received when I asked about the cartridge and why the ballistics in the nosler reloading book were so weak (barely better than my 8X57 with 200 gr bullets!):
I have used a 308 Norma now for about 5 years as my primary elk rifle. I love this rifle. My hunting partner uses a 300 Win mag and I can just about keep up with him using 180gr bullets. I use RL22 and get 3148 f/s with 180gr Nosler Part. I have killed 4 elk with it and it performed perfectly. This year I killed mine at 426yds(Pro 800 Laser Rangefinder) one shot through the lungs. I see no reason to use a heavier bullet as the 180 does the trick. My brother also has a Norma and he went ot Alaska on an Alaskan Brown Bear hunt and he used 180gr Speer Grand Slams and took his Alaskan bear with one shot at 250 yds. If you are thinking about owning a Norma you can't go wrong. I had mine made from a Custom Husky 30-06. I also don't buy the expensive 308 Norma brass. I bought 300 Win brass, ran it through the Norma resizer and trimmed. I have had no problems. The only problem that can happen is that someone can mix up shells with the 300 Win headstamped on you cases. I hope this answers some of your questions about the Norma.

I apologize to the original sender if he didn't want this posted.

<Norbert>
posted
That is a big deal. Dumoulin M98 rifles are exellent ones. The .308 Norma Magnum is ballistically the same as .300 WinMag, but better with respect to accuracy. I used it for years for long range ( 1000 m ) competition. Loading data are available.

------------------

<richard powell>
posted
Buy it!!

posted Hide Post
Buy it. A fine rifle and a very fine cartridge of superior design.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 308 Norma is the carteidge everyoun thought that Winchester was going to bring out. the 30-338 is a popular match cartridge. It is very simular to the Norma. I you dont want it I'll take it.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Carl>
posted
Before you buy make shure you take it to the range and fireat least 10 rounds. If all checks out buy it. Good Luck Carl.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 308 Norma is based on the necked down 358 norma mag not the 338win. While the cases are similar the normas are both a little longer. 338 win brass can be used to form either but the necks start off a little short.Any difference in ballistics between the 308 Norma,300 Win & the 30-338 is in someones imagination.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Wash.state>
posted
Excellent Cartridge!
I have the 30-338 version in a 03-A3 action, but would not trade it for anything. The loading data is so close as to be interchangeable, (and often 308 Norma is the only one available) The factory ammo is still around for the Norma and easily made from the 338 winchester brass. I have killed more elk,muledeer,antelope and varmits in the last 12 years with mine than I can count and am always impressed with the flat shooting and accuracy. With handloads you can get 200 gr. bullets up to 3000 fps and yes this is the 1000 yard match gun of legend, sorry I wax poetic. Obviously I am a 30-338/ 308 Norma Mag. Believer.

<Phil R>
posted
Wash. state,
I'm waiting impatiently for the return of my Ruger Mod#77 MKII with a 24" .30/.338 lightweight sporter barrel from Pac-Nor Barreling.I'm hoping for decent accuracy from the "soda straw" barrel and am glad to hear good things about the caliber.

------------------
Phil- Life Member SCI

<karel potyka>
posted
Thanks to all of you.
Norma is my. S&B 3-12x50 L9 on it. Carl check are OK.
I bougt factory ammo 180gr-$65.00 box. 100yds-5 in one inch, the huray for spring bear-best stew. 273yds(by my buschnell 600)
one shot. He was my.
Karel

<manhasset>
posted
Gentlemen, can loaded ammo in the .308 Norma be used interchangeable with the wildcat .30/338? I have seen loading data in manuals to be used for one and the same.
Thank you

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
Gentlemen, can loaded ammo in the .308 Norma be used interchangeable with the wildcat .30/338?

Absolutely not. The Norma has a longer neck and such a round in a .30/338 chamber may lead to severe damage to both the rifle and the shooter.

It should work the other way around though...

-- Mats

<Matt77>
posted
For 275 u.s. dollars, hey, why not?
you could always sell it or use it for a lamp post if it doesn't pan out. The 308, like the 30-338 has a longer neck, which people say can be a help when loading heavy bullets.