Find
Notify
Tools

Bob cat Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who or where is a good bob cat hunt

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas probably has about as many or more than most places and there is no closed season (they can also be hunted with artificial light 24 hours a day.)

However, bobcats are stealthy, secretive, and more nocturnal than any other predator. They will answer a varmint call, but in most places you'll call in ten coyotes and five foxes for every bobcat that responds. In other words, hunting strictly for a bobcat is an iffy proposition.

You might find some guys who specialize in bobcats who can tell you how to find them with more regularity, but I doubt anyone being able to offer a bobcat hunt with any certainty of a shot opportunity. Maybe a guy who has a pack of dogs trained specifically for bobcats could get you a treed shot, but that is just speculation.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would look in the western states for some one with a pack of hounds.

That's how we kill them in Wis. My friend with his pack has killed four of them so far this winter.

Trouble is it takes years to draw a cat tag in Wis.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No bag limit, daily or otherwise, on bobcats in Maine. Check Maine Prof.Guides Association for outfits.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two biggest and best furred bobcats that I have seen. Were taken in Washington state in the Olympic Penninsula. If it were me, I would get a list of guides from that area through fish and game and begin research.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Do you want to hunt by calling or with hounds or maybe over a bait pile?
Do you want high quality fur?
Do you like to hunt at night or want this hunt during daylight?
Are you prepared to hunt for hours in subzero temps or prefer more moderate conditions?
Guided or self-hunt?
All things that may help get you pointed in the right direction.

I don't know that I've seen many requests for bobcat hunts but I do know that some of the lynx hunt pics I've seen here on the Outfitter pages look mighty tempting.

Good luck!

PS - don't forget that you will need to have any bobcat pelts sealed before you can legally take them out of the state you shoot them in.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
If you want a big, pale cat with great fur, I’d be hunting them in the next 60 days in Nevada, Idaho, or Montana. Actually, all the Rocky Mountain states have good cats.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
If you want a big, pale cat with great fur, I’d be hunting them in the next 60 days in Nevada, Idaho, or Montana. Actually, all the Rocky Mountain states have good cats.

If you want the best fur Dec. 1st to February 1st.

Depending area and the weather you might be able to extend that 2 weeks on either end.

Having trapped a lot of winter fur one starts to see damage in late winter.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
South Texas has the populations, I shoot at least 3 or 4 during deer season, same for coyotes..I see a lot more than I shoot..Contact the city managers office in Dilly, or around Laredo, Cats, coyotes, Javalina, foxes galore, December is best for fur..The Big Bend out of Alpine or Marathon is pretty good, but nothing like So. Texas...Cats are bigger and better fur here in Idaho, but poppulations are not that big except for coyotes..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote