Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dumb hunting laws
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
Line the pockets of the guides? What makes you think that? Nothing could be further from the truth: just ask them.

One of the absolute WORST abominations is outfitter set-aside tags. Elitism at it's worst.

Of course, you could go to Hawaii for a bird hunting trip; you are ONLY allowed to hunt weekends and state holidays!

You figure that one out! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No hunting on Sundays? That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I bet they don't have drive-through liquor stores either.

I'd like to put in another vote for Wyoming's guide law. My brother recenly took a job out of state and lost his residency, so now he can't hunt wilderness areas he's spent his entire life in without me or another resident guide on the trip. He's hunted a lot of those areas by himself, but he can't anymore. Meanwhile, Joe Schmuck who's never hunted before and has lived in Wyoming just long enough to qualify for a resident license can hunt any damn place he pleases by himself. Who's a greater threat to himself and other hunters? Definitely a law written by outfitters for outfitters, pure and simple.

I also wasn't a big fan of the minimum age for big game hunting being dropped from 14 to 12 here a few years ago. There are a lot of 12 year olds who just don't have the maturity to handle big game hunting, but they feel they have to because they can. Of course, there are people a lot older than 12 that shouldn't be out there carrying high-powered firearms either.

Posts: 28 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it funny that when ever the non-resident having to hire a guide debate comes up it gets blamed on the outfitters. First off why should a non-resident have the same rights as a resident. If you do not like the rules dont hunt there or move away from there.

I live in BC where all non-resident aliens must hire a guide to hunt here. If there was no rule like that every animal would be on a qouta system and tags would have to be drawn for every species. Right now only Grizz and bison are on a total draw. Everything else is over the counter including mountain sheep. Why should a non-resident get rights to these animals because he pays a few hundred bucks more for a tag. I live here year round and pays taxes (do not get me started on our stupid taxes). Call me greedy but I should have more rights then the non-resident.

Alex

The Sunday hunting rule has to be the stupidest I have heard of.

Posts: 26 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote