New
Find
Notify
Tools

Little marketing mysteries
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Inspired by the "useless" gadgets thread; what is not necessarily useless but is puzzling---

1) Small items the user would really hate to lose that are CAMO, or some color difficult to see in the leaves or grass.
(Give me a flourescent orange or yellow flashlight, dressing knife, or GPS, compass, etc.)

2) Semi-spitzer ("protected-point") bullets. For years I just always kept a sharp tip chambered and the smashed tips in the magazine.

3) Raingear that is jacket-length. Sit down in it and your butt gets to be a downspout. Just a four-inch tail would prevent it.

Any others?

[ 09-24-2002, 15:37: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I like those! I really question why I would need a camo wallet!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The first one on my list is a GPS that won't show you which direction your destination is, unless you are moving. HUH? As soon as I know which way to move, I will! LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Scoped muzzleloaders. Sort of reminds me of a digital grandfather clock.

Buck lure. Ain't no deer in the world worth me pouring piss on myself.

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother-in-law and hunting buddy lost a pair of binoculars on en elk hunting in Colorado when the strap came undone. He went back to look for them. In the leaves. In the grass. In the sagebrush. Yup, they were camoflage.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the camo shells for turkey hunters............

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camo long johns or briefs. Who hunts in only their underwear...nevermind I don't want to know. Remington's bolt lock (wart). That's so stupid I won't get into it. Camo head nets...ever try looking through those things as the light fades? Must be what a bad drug enduced trip is like. The friggen non-click turrets on Leupold VariXII scopes. Anybody else hate those? I wish they would of made the click adjustments standard and the non-click as an option instead of the other way around. Now the thing that puzzles me the most in regards to hunting. WHY IS JACKIE BUSHMAN SO POPULAR? I can't even venture a guess on that one.

[ 09-24-2002, 23:50: Message edited by: Big Sky ]

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Big Sky in one area definitely - those friction adjustments on Leupold scopes.

Please, please Leupold, I know fixed power scopes don't sell as well as variables, but could you please do the new VX-II deal with your fixed 4 power scopes and not just the 6X? Just put the better coating on the external lens surfaces and put 1/4 minute click adjustments on them. I'd gladly pay another 25 or 30 bucks.

The only reason I have 2.5X8 Vari-X III scopes on my .270 and .30-06 is because they are a bit better optically and have the click adjustments. But my heart yearns to justify sticking a Leupold fixed 4X scope on those two and just say "be done with it".

[ 09-25-2002, 00:32: Message edited by: Jim in Idaho ]

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
how about those 8 - arrow quivers mounted on hunting bows? Yeah, you need all of those, allright.... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily useless, but puzzling, eh?

How about knifemakers who don't sell sharp knives? My wife bought a Gerber Gator, and when I asked the salesclerk for a sharp one, he said Gerber doesn't sharpen them. To prove his point, he brought out 6 more Gerber folders and not one was sharp!?!

How about the see-through plastic lens covers Zeiss and Swarovski put on their riflescopes? Why put 50-cent plastic lenses on a $1200 scope? They distort the image so much, you're better off leaving them off.

How about iron sights and a 24" barrel on a .300 Weatherby Magnum rifle?

How about the 'see-through' ringmounts you see all over the Northeast on those Marlin .35 Remington lever-actions?

How about Nosler Ballistic Tips in .375 caliber?

How about expanding bullets for the .50AE?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS, that reminds me. What about all the short barrels on all the new WSM? So you come up with a hot little round and put a short tube on the rifle. Congrats you just re-invented the 30.06.

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Whew! I thought I was the only one. The short-barrelled maggie still amazes me. Jeff Cooper was right - the purpose of gun companies is to sell guns, first and foremost.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the rain pants without zippers? They are a pain in the butt, since you have to drop the pants to pee.

And take a look at all the rain-jacket pockets that have flaps that face towards the front. Do the designer expects you to cross your arms, then stick the left hand in the right pocket and the left hand in the right pocket? I have one of such rain gear sets that I bought from Cabela's. Excellent rain repellency, but stupid design, and Cabela's are not the only ones designed that way.

Another problem with this design is that once you get your hands in the pockets to keep them warm, the pocket zippers chafe your wrists. They are probably made somewhere where people walk backwards to keep the rain out of the pockets.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote