New
Find
Notify
Tools

List of project guns!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now That the new year is here, gentleman, what are some of your project guns or new shooting resolutions? Start with the ones you are most serious about or closest to completion.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Build a 375/338 on a Ruger 77 or Savage 110 action.

2. Perfect 375 caliber sabots for 338 and 308 caliber bullets.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have so many unfinished projects that I am building an unfinished project cabinet. It's not done yet.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 CZ550 Lux hopefully, if not maybe one of those new Charles Daly rifles (they're supposed to be virtually the same to the Whitworths).

A surplus BRNO Mauser sporter (98/22 or VZ24).

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a M70 in .404Jeffery that is just about ready & then rebarreling a M700SA to .260AI. So many projects, so little time (& money).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the new Kimber 84M's that I bought last fall has a difficult bolt lift when the firing pin is down. This has nothing to do with a case in the chamber or not. There are some other details that they can take care of as well.

Upon close examination I determined that the design of the cocking cam has changed to a far more gradual angle on the newer, higher serial numbered one that I have.

I called Kimber and they said there is an upgrade that they want to do. That I could send it back or as I suggested return it in person. So next week I will do that as I want to try to get inside and see what they do.

The service tech. said that the bolt and firing pin spring have changed.

Overall this rifle is outstanding with excellent MOA accuracy, very light weight, good looks and a fair price.

I have about a dozen other guns as work in process. I jump to one or the other as the mood strikes me.

I am going to attend an "F" match this spring and take along a 40X in 6mm Intl. and some sporters. www.readingrifle.com/VARMENT_FCLASS.htm

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
It looks like my projects are almost at an end! My .338 and .416 were finished last year. All that remains is rebarreling a Weatherby Vanguard into .257 Wby. and that should be done by the end of the month.

Can't wait

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Near completion:

Ruger #1 458Lott

Brno ZKK601 223Rem

Next:

Restock Oberndorf Type B 10.75x68

Restock FN Deluxe 270

Restore Remington M-31 skeet gun

Barrel & stock MRC action, if it ever arrives.

etc. etc.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Finish my 22/250AI (If my MRC left hand short action ever gets here)
Build a DG rifle on a left hand Charles Daly Mauser action when they come in this spring.

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
1.New walnut stock for my 6.5x55
2.New barrel and bits and peices for my .222 Anschutz
3.Rebarrel and restock a mauser93
4.Buy a mould for my tower muscat and shoot a pig with it.

Yep that should do it.

Posts: 8052 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about to begin a 358 ultracat from z-hat on a remington 700 SS platform. So long to wait, but you know what they say!

Posts: 66 | Location: WASHINGTON | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I bought a T/C Encore receiver, ordered a 6.5-06 Ackley barrel for it, and made a buttstock and forearm out of some gorgeous walnut for it. I've got dies, brass, bullets, scope mount, rings, and a scope, too. Now if the barrel would only come (about 5 to 8 weeks to go.......)

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an early(1948) FN Mauser,Douglas XX in 22 Middlestad,and a classic AAA fancy walnut stock(Richards)that is nearly finished.
1908 Brazilian Mauser sporter that is going to be rebarreled to 22/250 ACKLEY IMPROVED(Shilen Match SS)in the near future.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
I just finalized a deal on an old Ruger M77 (tang safety!) .338 Win Mag that will be transformed into another .416 Taylor. I had one .416 Taylor built on a VZ-24 action that I never should have gotten rid of. Since that one left my hands I started thinking of building another.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too many projects!

Building:

1)404 Dakota on a CZ 602 donor; under constuction with John Ricks

2)Sako AIII 30-06 conversion to 35 Whelen; sending to Pac-Nor

3) Ruger #1 405 rechamber to 450/400 3", waiting on pricing from Bowen.

4) MRC 1999 SA CM action to build a 250 Savage, waiting for Action from MRC.

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Denton that was funny! :-)

I don't have as much to play with $$$$ wise as some of you obvioiusly do. ;-) my big project is my 1917 Winchester in 458 that is becoming something special right now, when done it will still need some engraving, bluing, and of course stocking.

I have a 03a3 that needs to become a 25caliber of some sort. that should just be a rebarrel job and then me getting a stock and doing that part myself.

I have an 03 that has to have the cocking piece fixed (I tried installing a Wisner M70 style safety myself, with a dremel :-( bad move)

Some other stuff in the safe that needs various work, and I have the stock and action (beautiful 09) to start on a 416 Taylor or something similar if I get the cash. Which is doubtful.

I'll be happy to get the 458 done this year.

I love reading all this, post more!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Restocking a Pre 64 Model 70 .375 H&H in a gorgeous piece of walnut I picked up years ago.
Restocking a .223AI I just had barreled from the original .17 Rem it was last year. Using cheap piece of walnut I've had for several years. This is a first trial of cutting a stock from scratch. Making a few mistakes but almost have them licked and getting the last coats of finish on it now.
Rebarrel my burned out 25-06 with a new PacNor 25-06 barrel and repair the dings in the stock that happened in several (many?) moments of clumsiness.
Stocking a friend's left hand Kimber .223AI in a piece of fiddleback maple that I have a ton of. My next progression in learning to build stocks from scratch. Learning as I go and actually starting to see a little improvement in the process. Maybe someday I'll make some money at this? Hey, I can hope, can't I?

Anybody starting to see a pattern to this? - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
Finish up my .450 Marlin on a Winchester 70 short action. Then fit up the same action for a 28" .300 WSM for 1000 yard shooting. Find a gorgeous Ruger # 1A to be a donor rifle for a 25/35 project. Convert all my die sets to Redding Competition sets. Convert all my old Vari x III's to the new VX III's. Upgrade my rangefinder.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am building a .404 Jeffery on a 1909 Argentine action, most of the action work is done waiting on a barrel from Lothar, I am keeping this classicly styled.

The above is currently happening. I would also like an all weather big bore, a long range .338 and a stainless guide gun 45/70 & Ruger #1 in a lott or rigby . A fellow poster has suggested I do a matching .500 Jeffery on a 1909 to go with the .404, This year I would say the .404 will get done and then start on something else next year as I am poor

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I have several projects underway.
1. a left hand stainless MRC action barreled in 270WSM, 24 inch stainless #2 with acra-bond cheetah stock
2. left handed stainless MRC action barreled in 375H&H, 22 inch #4, with acrabond Merlin stock, and NECG open sights
3. 300 WSM model 70 was just returned from Hill Country with the new swirley McMillan "sako" stock. I'm thinking about having Robar do some NP-3/Rogard on this one
4. I just had James Wisner put a three position safety on my model 700 in 300RUM. I'm gonna have to decide what to do with the slot in the stock that the old safety lever was in.......also toying with getting a Pac-Nor on this baby.
I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fill this hole in the McMillan stock........fill it with accraglas....paint it black?
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Don, I'd fill that hole with Accraglas just like you're gonna do. Just give it a couple days before you machine (sand) it down to size. Sounds like some cool projects

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote