THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: What do you guys hunt in the summer?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What do you guys hunt in the summer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here in Pa I hunt groundhogs. Good practice and most farmers like them killed off.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiskey and women

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Short Skirts and Dock fluff

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Texas I hunt hogs (at night) with dogs and knives. There are also a lot of Axis deer in hard antler and there is less pressure to hunt them than in the cooler weather. I've seen some HUGE axis in summer and no pressure....of course, it costs $.

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear in the late spring (up until july), varmints and paper in july and august, and then sheep in late august.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Texas in the summertime you mostly hunt for shade.

April: Turkeys. May through whenever, prairie dogs. Dove season starts September 1, and if you don't think that's summer, you've never been to Texas.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paper at the range and 3D deer in the backyard with my bow. Summer is mainly spent on my bike or boat.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed varmint hunting. The weather is much better than what it is for big game hunting and there is far more shooting. It's more of a riflemans game as well. Even with the shotgun there is more action.

My major shooting fun however is competition all year round and shooting off of the bench with various rifles. I enjoy handgun shooting and some small game hunting with them also.

"Summer" (Spring-Summer-Fall) are really the best time for shooting here in the frozen North. I did make it out to the range yesterday but the variable NW wind was tough to deal with. I intended to do some offhand practice but the wind made me stop.

My boat in an informal race. I am passing to leeward. With just the jenny it will not outpoint the other boat but she will outfoot it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Bud light.

Seriously, summer's a good time to work up loads, get in some good practice on jackrabbits, and go fishing. Unfortunately, it's also a good time to work in the yard, build a shed, put up a fence, and other various non-entertaining honey-dos.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We hunt black bear in the spring, and then there's a lull through the first part of the summer. On Aug. 1 sheep hunting opens in most of B.C., and on Aug. 15, moose, elk, and caribou opens in the far northern part of the province.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gold nuggets! More gold nuggets! Bigger gold nuggets! And occasionally the neighbors' cats. And rattle snakes in the backyard.

Posts: 27 | Location: State of Jefferson, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
coyotes... and anything south of the equator!

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogs, lots coyotes, various varmits. If I have done my homework and it all comes togeather, Mt lion. I hunt one every year but it doesnt always fall on the summer months.

Id like to find a state with some feral goats... any ideas?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wild Pigs.
I make sure I have plenty of ice in the cooler and I butcher the pig immediately and get it on ice.
Even if it is 100 degress plus I have never lost any meat.

And there is always Africa.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Deep sea fishing for tuna on the long range boats out of San Diego and busting ground squirrels from long range.

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually hunt the two legged dear in the summer.I about dont like hunting when its two hot.Alaska the caribou season opens Aug 10 .Last year it was 92 degrees that day.We went and ended up playing in the water it was so hot.There are black bears open all year but they are way up in the moutains pickin berries that time of year.The grizzley season is open year around in unit 13 but I think they head for the mountains then too.I like it to be 65 degrees or less hunting tops 70 degrees.When the tempature is above that you meat and cape can spoil quickly above 80 degrees.I shoot alot in the summer to get ready for hunting season.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Most big game hunts are in the fall, unfortunately I am in school and can't take any time off for out of state hunting (like elk and mule deer but none in Minnesota)

So what do you hunt in the summer?
I love fishing during summer, but it would be nice to get out and hunt every once in awhile.

PS: Africa would be a nice summer plan ...especially if it was free.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote