Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Keys Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted
There is a subspecies of whitetail that only exists in the middle Florida Keys. These are the smallest of all the subspecies and their numbers are endangered. If the hurricane predictions are accurate, I would not be surprised if the entire population of Keys deer are wiped out. Hopefully, I am wrong, but I wish them well. I lived in the Keys for 14 years, and it was always a thrill to see them.
Good luck...

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well they have survived for many centuries and have lived through many similar storms. I'm sure the threats to these deer are man made not nature made.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Well they have survived for many centuries and have lived through many similar storms. I'm sure the threats to these deer are man made not nature made.

What??? How do you figure 150 mph winds and a 10' surge are man made????

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

What??? How do you figure 150 mph winds and a 10' surge are man made????

I think you've misinterpreted what he said.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Bwana
I think what he meant to convey to you is that natural events are not what has endangered these deer. Man made hazards are what has taken the toll on them.
I recall reading a news story some months ago about three men caught in Florida with several of these deer in the trunk of their car, deer were alive, bound with ropes.
Apparently in some places these deer are used to people petting and feeding them so they figure that's how they grabbed them. It is assumed the men were going to kill and eat the deer. The men claimed they were taking them home to take pictures with them.. (?)
I think these kinds of interaction with these deer (immigrants taking protected deer home to eat), traffic deaths and development of their natural habitat are the biggest threats to their existence. I'm sure they as a sub species have endured Hurricanes.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I see. I am sorry if I misread what he meant to say. I now understand and agree. Certainly their habitat has been destroyed by development. I believe the first Federal wildlife refuge was The Florida Keys NWR, and that is the only reason that any are left today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The flesh eating screwworm infestation that went through them last year didn't help their numbers.

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Introduced invasives like the Burmese Python aren't helping either.

Posts: 3049 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a few of them while participating in a scout activity with our youngest son.

I was impressed with their size and uniqueness.

I have visions of those dog-size deer clinging to debris and hoping for a land fall.

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 11 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still...i cant imagine how crazy this will be for them...
They may have lived there for centuries but there aren't many storms like this.
I can't even imagine the stress on them. Some may survive but make no bones about it..,this storm will hurt them...bad.....

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Cat 4 Hurricane is hitting the Florida Peninsula and Y'all are worried about the deer???

Mad Mad Mad

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
No Ray, you ass-u-me too much. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3049 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
Cat 4 Hurricane is hitting the Florida Peninsula and Y'all are worried about the deer???

Mad Mad Mad

Yep... I lived in Tampa and Fort Myers area for 15 years and have been through several. My little beach place on Little Gasparilla is going to sustain serious damage.
I'm worried about lots of friends and family...and yes as a wildlife enthusiast I am worried about an incredibly unique and specialized subspecies that could be wiped out because of this.
Hell...I'm worried about my favorite drinking holes in Key West and the critters down there too...I saw they wrapped up the chickens and transported all they could out..lol

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Don't have problem with topic - I'm interested.

Just the timing.

Not while, 18 million people are there under hurricane wind warning.
Not while, Irma is pounding the Peninsula.
Wasn't nothing anyone could do about them deer at the time anyway.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Looks like there are survivors.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...r-AArIWwF?li=BBnbcA1

quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
There is a subspecies of whitetail that only exists in the middle Florida Keys. These are the smallest of all the subspecies and their numbers are endangered. If the hurricane predictions are accurate, I would not be surprised if the entire population of Keys deer are wiped out. Hopefully, I am wrong, but I wish them well. I lived in the Keys for 14 years, and it was always a thrill to see them.
Good luck...

Posts: 402 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
That's great, Glad there were some survivors. Ray, people had the ability to leave, the deer did not....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These animals are tough. I am always surprised at what I see after a major storm. Yesterday, as we were cleaning up after Irma's visit, I pointed out these baby lizards to my wife. If these things weighed a quarter of an ounce, I would be shocked. Yet, here they were, the day after several inches of rain and blowing winds that may have gone to 80 or so MPH. Somehow, they know how to survive.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote