Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua Mega bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted
I was browsing around Lapua's site the other day and noticed this bullet they call Mega. It seems to be heavy for it's length with a protected point and a bonded core. It also looks as if the shank of the bullet has been given the TSX/Northfork treatment with alternating driving bands and relieved areas. The BC isn't very high, but that doesn't matter 99.5% of the time anyway.

Price is very reasonable @ $25/100. Has anyone tried them?

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gabe!

The lapua Mega bullets are no 2 after NP here in sweden when it comes to moose/bear hunting. There are several other bullets out there Norma Oryx, Woodleigh PP, Bitteroot and others they all will do the work for you but pounds for pounds the Megas will deliver a strong message.

A big bonus is that fact that may rifles shoot nice little groups with these bullets and the fact that they are PP so loading and unloading won´t hurt the bullets.

Best regard Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the Megas are bonded core bullets.

(Pic from Lapua's web site.)

I've been meaning to try some. I have 3 boxes (300 total) of .308" 200 gr Megas sitting on my supply shelf. I just haven't gotten around to loading them yet. I think it may be time to get the ol' .30-06 out of the gun closet and work up some loads. Smiler

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot both pronghorn at around 350 yards and a hudge whitetail at about 15 yards with the 6.5mm 155 gr mega tips.They are awesome bullets.I have shot 3/8" groups at 100 yards with my 264 win mag.I have heard that they quit making the lead core ones .I hope the new ones are as good as the old ones they are awesome.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
Bob, you are correct. The Megas aren't bonded, don't know where I got that. Confused Regardless, I think I'll give them a try, the mechanically locked core should be OK.

Thanks for the input

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Gabe,

I have used the 286 grains Mega on my 9,3x62 for many years. Especially for wild boar hunting.
With it I have killed wild boars weighing from 100 to over 400 pounds, with excellent results.
On shots up to 80 yards, even on big boars, most of the time the bullet will go through leaving a huge entrance hole, with a lot of meat damage, and a comparatively really small exit hole.

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
I have shot 2 roe and 3 red deer with lapua mega in 308, 185grain bullet, this year, got good kills, all went true the animals. Good bullet for a good price.

Johan

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote