New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game cleaning safety
 Login/Join

<Ranger Dave>
posted
I was at the doctors getting my knee checked out and there was a indian beside me in great pain. His hand was wrapped in a bandage and it was swollen big time.

I asked him what happened and he said he was gutting a moose and somehow got some infection. He said his finger trippled in size and cottage cheese like substance needed to be drained. Yuck! He said in all his years he has never worn latex type gloves. I have never either. I asked the doctor when I saw if if he recommended gloves when cleaning any type of game. He said a big YES!

Do you guy where gloves? Has anyone ever got an infection?

I'm off moose hunting next week and will be bring some gloves along! Cottage cheese! Yuck! [Eek!]

[ 09-14-2002, 08:40: Message edited by: Ranger Dave ]

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
As an outfitter, I clean well over a hundred animals a year (usually over 200). I have never cleaned one animal without gloves. It is too easy to get an infection through a cut or cuticle, and it seems like more diseases are able to jump from animals to people. Pigs, Bear, and sheep are probably the worst, but CWD is really spreading fast, and there is some evidence that it can be transmitted to people, too. Every year in the Kerrville, TX area, 1 or 2 outfitters get hospitalized from something they got cleaning an animal. I have plenty of outfitters make fun of me, but I really don't care. They are the same idiots who shoot without hearing protection.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I, too, am a fan of gloves.

In '78 I contracted tularemia and, as I am an avid, (read obssessed), cotton tail predator, the vector was undoubtedly one of my little Watership Down buddies who had experienced a fatal case of tharn!

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I can understand how a guy could easily be infected by especially a gut shot animal, but I don't wear gloves. Never have, probably never will. I do carry a disinfectant soap, and wash imediately though. Cleaning a moose can get blood on your eyebrows, so gloves aren't likely to help much there.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny this subject should come up. I have never worn gloves gutting game. Not any game, large or small. And I retired from a job working homicide where I examined up close and personal thousands of human bodies and can tell all of you that I NEVER touched a dead body without gloves! And I started in the days before AIDS became an issue. Yesterday, I got a stern letter from the Colorado Department of Wildlife on the subject of CWD. I drew tags for deer and elk in the heart of the CWD zone. Teasting for animals taken in my unit is manditory. If the animal tests positive, I get a new tag, my money back, and a payment for any money spent processing the meat.

From now on, I wear gloves.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Gloves are a good, sound idea.

The worst infection hazard is the knife used for field dresssing. It's all too easy to cut yourself while working inside the animal and create your own pathway for infection. Of course, most gloves offer no protection whatsoever from a properly sharp hunting knife, so I think the number one preventive measure is to use utmost care in your knife handling. Even a small cut can get badly infected, and I've had it happen. I think guys ususally use knives that are far bigger that the job requires, especially for field dressing.

In camp, I always wash with anti-bacterial soap and a good hand & nail brush. I really scrub under the nails, as that's where a significant amount of infections germs take refuge. I rinse with hydrogen peroxide afterward.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hadn't thought of using peroxide. Thanks for the tip, Allen!

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I started field dressing moose a few years ago I didn't wear latex gloves, but now I do. However, latex gloves won't last long enough to skin and quarter a moose, so now I wear a set of latex gloves underneath of a set of Neoprene gloves. Some Neoprene gloves have a rough non-slip surface, while latex gloves are too slippery when soaked with blood.

Be aware that one can contract several deceases or infections from seals an bears, as well as moose and other animals. Have you heard of "bear hands?" It is a very tough infection that results on very swollen and discolored hands and fingers. Seal hunters are very aware of that problem.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
I never used to wear gloves to dress animals.... And I might add, I never had the slightest infection. Not to say it couldn't have happened or doesn't happen, I just never had an incident.

BUT, I do wear gloves now? YES!!! No, not especially for fear of infection or Chronic Mystery Disease (thought it is a reality) but for a couple other important reasons: First, a synthetic glove gives you a better grip on the knife reducing the risk of accidental cuts via self injury. (Yea, that sucks!) Second-- and sometimes more importantly-- is that often I find myself disassembling an animal far away from any decent water source. And I might add, often in cold weather. Being able to remove a thin, disposable glove and put your cold, *clean* hand into a warm glove is a real treat! And, you won't ruin a perfectly good pair of gloves with blood and who-knows-what. Oh, and finally, I too have found that latex gloves are not worth a damn as they are thin and constantly breaking. However, the hypo-alergenic *vinyl* examination gloves found in your local pharmacy are really quite tough! I keep meaning to try those synthetic-indestructo gloves I sometimes see car mechanics wearing. I bet they'd work fine too. Anyhow, keep about 4 pair of vinyl gloves in your day pack (some extras to share with friends, or to use on the spontaneous, extra-caricular small game) and you never go without!!! [Cool]

<Ranger Dave>
posted
I was told even rabbits can give you some bug. This is great info guys, keep it coming. This is something totally new to me!

The comment on laytex gloves and blood being slippery is great. I never thought of that! It sure would be hard trying to hold on to a bloody knife with the laytex gloves on. Better chance of cutting yourself with the knife.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of you gents living in the US Pacific Coast States, British Columbia, or Alaska are in luck.

Just visit a commercial fisherman supply store that handles Salmon gear. Buy a pair of the gloves that the deck guys (in Troller Terms they are "Pullers") use when they are gutting Salmon. The gloves are thin, tough, have a rough outside texture for holding a bloody knife, and come up nearly to your elbows. A lot stronger than Latex.

"Fish Poisoning" is very common to those that handle a lot of Salmon without gloves. The hands get infected and swell up pretty bad.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been to two goat ropings and once to a county fair and I NEVER heard of hunters doing such a thing. But you know what...you guys are RIGHT. One of the best ideas I've read on this forum. Thanks. I'll help spread the word. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I hunted with an outfitter in Wyoming last year who used vetrinary examination gloves. Long (arm length) gloves used for pregnancy tests on horses or cows. (Yes, they reach all the way in there and feel if there is a baby).

He would wear a pair of short latex gloves over the arm length gloves. I thought it was one of the best ideas I have ever seen because I always get blood above the wrist when gutting anything bigger than a Dove.

I now carry a pair of normal dishwashing gloves (or a pair of heavy duty chemical resistant gloves) with me. They are light, long enough to protect your lower arm and wrist, and tough enough to handle the job as long as you are reasonably careful. You can wash them and re-use them.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soap and water will protect you as well as anything. Unless you cut yourself. Then its time for topical treatments like alcohol or peroxide. Cuts pose the greatest danger and only a pair of heavy armored gloves will protect you there. Just be careful when you push that knife up into the body cavity and keep your fingers out of the way.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, soap and water are not enough to protect you with certain types of vectors. Depending on what area you hunt in, the best protection is good gloves and careful knife handling techniques.
I've actually been stabbed by broken bones before and once I was cut by a broadhead that was embedded in the backside of a shoulder. The shaft had broken off and the wound healed over long before. This isn't as rare an occurence as you might think. I know of at least 3 people personally who have had this happen.

Here is a good question- how do you protect yourself from TB if it is in your area? Since TB is an airborne pathogen as well as from blood contanimation, would you wear a surgical mask when cleaning an animal in a known TB area? I've been through the series for TB and it takes an entire year and many blood tests, so it is a pain in the rear if not especially painful to go through. I got my infection through exposure to caged primates at a research center near here while doing an electrical installation in the building. The building was a quarantine area where newly imported primates are kept for a time to clear them of TB before releasing them into the general population of research subjects.

Lots of things to think about besides finding your game these days- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
Put me in the blood soaked from head to toe crowd after field dressing anything larger than a rabbit. That is why I never wore gloves, but with this (new to me) information I believe I will start wearing them and be more careful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started wearing gloves in 90 after a bout with lymes.A couple of freinds of mine have become very ill with another tick/blood bore disease Stricklyosis(not sure of spelling) Very nasy. they both caught from cleaning deer with out gloves. I wear them now when cleaning all my game. Besides it is a lot faster clean up. I wear the heavy duty blue/green gloves over the long vet gloves for feild dressing big game. Gloves are a great idea.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I use kevlar gloves.They will protect you from the
knife while working inside a critter.As well as
from possible infections.
What I have heard as a more prevalent form of injury,would be people stabbing themselves in the
leg while butchering a moose/caribou.Even my uncle
who has experience in AK with big game.He cut his
leg bad on a moose.Always cut away from you.It
can happen to you.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've probably cut myself 20 or 30 times with either my own knife, a splintered bone or a braodhead. I have tried wearing latex gloves and chemical gloves without much luck. The latex won't last, and I get blood inside the chem gloves. I quit using gloves, and I disinfect afterwards. I've had Lyme, but it had nothing to do with gutting deer.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<CAMike>
posted
Good topic guys.

I never used to where gloves but kind of fell into it accidently. I work in the enviornmental testing field (cleaning up contaminated gas stations, etc.) and I wear gloves anytime I am handling or collecting samples. One day it occured to me to start wearing the gloves while working on my truck, keeps the petroleum products from permeating my skin and it makes cleanup a Hell of a lot eaiser. So a couple of years ago I started caring golves in my pack for hunting. Works really well, helps to protect you and makes cleanup, while you are a long way from the truck with little water, easier.

Gloves that work very well are the blue nitrile ones. They can be found at most autoparts stores and are much more durable then latex. Its worth the trouble.

CA Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just in case you are planning to wear latex gloves:

a. Latex surgical gloves will tear apart before you can complete skinning a moose.

2. Those heavy latex gloves used by fish processors last for a long time. The ones I am talking about (mentioned above) are usually thick, insulated, and have a layer of red color latex with a rough finish on the palm and fingers. This rough finish adds a sure grip on slippery surfaces.

2. If you can't find the right type of gloves, then wear a set of Latex or "Nitrile" (correct spelling?) gloves underneath of a set of Neoprene gloves.

[ 09-17-2002, 03:03: Message edited by: Ray, Alaska ]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Hey Jeff:

Any more specific info on kevlar gloves?? Brand names, websites, distributors??

I just had my fourth surgery on my right hand due to a severe tendon severing injury in Feb. I'm very interested in a kevlar or steel mesh glove in the future.

(nothing to do with hunting etc.)

thanks

JimF

posted Hide Post
JimF,

Try a search on Cabela's as i am sure they used to sell them. I would ask what the washing instructions are as it might be wise to wear a latex style glove over them.

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm gonna have to admit to being the "wuss" here. [Roll Eyes] I started using latex gloves 20 years ago. Not because of fear of infection, but because I usually hunted in freezing weather and didn't like the feeling of blood and guts freezing on my hands and nothing around to clean up with. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's just one teeny little fly in the ointment here.

Latex allergy

The cheaper sort of glove that will be used for this sort of thing have powder in them to help them be put on. The powder gets airborne and is inhaled. After prolonged use an allergy sets in which normaly shows itself as a rash on the hands. Do not ignore this as it's a short step down the road to full blown annapylactic (spelling) shock, swollen airway, heart attack and death.

Latex is everywhere in modern life so having this sort of allergy is a nightmare.

Try to avoid cheaper latex gloves and ones with powder. If you can cadge some from a friend in the health service you should be OK.

I personaly don't wear them as I find my knife is more prone to slipping (dangerous) and I prefer to gralloch in the field. I don't want to chuck the gloves as that would be littering nor do I want to stick them in my pocket.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Don't forget to dispose of your gloves properly. Several years ago a friend got a littering ticket in Idaho for leaving his latex gloves on the gut pile. No... this is not a joke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalobwana,

Have a vet friend who I hunt with who introduced me to those long gloves. I'd seen them in use before, but never thought about them for game cleaning.

I bought a pack of 100 off him. Cost about $20 Cdn. Cheap insurance at 20 cents apiece, and saves on the laundry bill a bit, too.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<EXFFPM>
posted
Having worked as a firefight/paramedic for over 24 years, I became quite "educated" re: latex gloves. They must be labeled "powder-free", not "powder-less" to be free of the powder which is EXTREMELY irritating to the eyes. It is not the powder that causes the allergic reaction in some wearers, but the chemicals used in the process of the latex/rubber in the gloves (usually found in the lower priced gloves). "Nitrile" gloves do not contain the irritants mentioned above and can be more durable.

I make up several "cleaning kits" for my partner and myself using a zip-lock sandwich bag, 1 or 2 pairs of gloves, 1 or 2 paper shop towels, individually wrapped anti-bacterial towelettes and an extra piece of cotton twine to attach the transport tag. I carry one or two in my pack, just in case my partner needs help, as his animal is usually the first to fall. Just pull the gloves off inside out, clean your hands (and arms) with the towelettes and place back in the zip lock for disposal.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXFFPM:
I make up several "cleaning kits" for my partner and myself using a zip-lock sandwich bag, 1 or 2 pairs of gloves, 1 or 2 paper shop towels, individually wrapped anti-bacterial towelettes and an extra piece of cotton twine to attach the transport tag. I carry one or two in my pack, just in case my partner needs help, as his animal is usually the first to fall. Just pull the gloves off inside out, clean your hands (and arms) with the towelettes and place back in the zip lock for disposal.

Regardless of the type of glove you use, this is a very workable protocol. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good discussion. Being a professional firefighter and paramedic I'd like to add one thing. Hydrogen peroxide will not kill any pathogens. Its good for cleaning wounds but has ZERO antiseptic properties. There are several brands of alcohol based hand cleaners that will do the job though, and you can find this stuff in single use packs that are easy to carry with you.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
It's funny that this topic should appear, because this is the first year that I have done so. I have made up kits similar to EXFFPM. Mine are in a quart ziplock freezer bag, with the veternary exam gloves, a set of nitriles, and baby wipes in the little "convenience" package. (also good for cleaning other parts of your anatomy). I had not thought to add the string for tag tying.

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At work we use the Tuff-N-Nuff brand 4mil nitrile (sp?),the green ones ,they stood up better than the blue ones.I wonder if they have ones that are longer?

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Walker,

Hydrogen peroxide will not kill any pathogens. Its good for cleaning wounds but has ZERO antiseptic properties.

I thought Hydrogen Peroxide was basically bleach, and that bleach killed just about everything???

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in NM we have had several cases of West Nile Virus found in horses.Since then the authorities have warned bird hunters to wear gloves when cleaning doves and pheasants.Their first warnings were to notify them if one found a dead crow,raven or jay and they would pick them up for examination.Then they issued the caution about doves and pheasants.They said they were unsure WNV could be transmitted to humans from birds,but they had several cases known to be from transfusions with WNV contaminated blood so why take chances.

Bravo five one

Posts: 109 | Location: New Mexico,USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote