New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheept Hunt Optics
 Login/Join

<Blackfoot>
posted
Any recommendations for a lightweight spotting scope for sheep hunting. Been looking at the Nikon Spotter XL, the new Bausch & Lomb Elite 15-45, and the Leupold 12-40. Really leaning towards the B&L. Anybody have experience with this one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy has a KOWA spotting scope that is quite good and also very light. The drawback I see to it for hunting is the fact it was not "variable". You have to change the eye piece to change magnification.
Don't know if they make a variable scope.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the b&l 15x45 and own a leupold 12x40.I prefer the leupold as it has better eye relief which prevents the lens from fogging when your face gets near it.The b&l will fog up if you are not very careful.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a B&L Elite 15x45 that's about 8 years old. It's a decent scope, but you need lots of light at the higher powers. I've used the Leupolds as well and prefer them.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a B&L. I now use a Leupold 12-40. I know 3 other sheep guides who are satisfied with the leupold.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote