THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Long Range Hunting, is Hunting??????

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Long Range Hunting, is Hunting??????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
You want to make it "fair"? Ambush deer on foot and kill them with your bare hands. As far as I'm concerned, if you do that, you can criticize everyone else's method.

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Well actually when you walk or crawl several miles and finally run accros some Elk accross the canyon and know posibuility of getting closer I believe that is still called Hunting"Atleast here in Idaho it is" as is running accross one at a closer range.You either take the shot or you don't according to your own capabuility as a Hunter and Shooter.And it doesn't take a Beenfield to make long shots.
Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "hunting" part comes before you take the shot......... after you decide to pull the trigger, the rest is shooting regardless of how long the shot is!

The hunting part is finding the animal and getting into position so you can kill it........sometimes that "position" is close to the animal, sometimes it's distant.

Hunting starts with scouting, reading sign and figuring out how to kill the animal.......this can be hours, days, weeks or even months before you actually take the shot..........

At least that is how I see it!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The "hunting" part comes before you take the shot......... after you decide to pull the trigger, the rest is shooting regardless of how long the shot is!

The hunting part is finding the animal and getting into position so you can kill it........sometimes that "position" is close to the animal, sometimes it's distant.

Hunting starts with scouting, reading sign and figuring out how to kill the animal.......this can be hours, days, weeks or even months before you actually take the shot..........

At least that is how I see it!

Bravo!!

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read a lot of O Connor Jack would take a long shot it that is what he had. Many of his storys have so called long shots in them.

If you spent all day climbing a mountain or busting brush and the critter gives you a shot at 400yard yes that is hunting even if he doesn't know your their.

I personaly have taken big game as close as a few feet and at longer ranges them most would like to shoot. It was all hunting.

If your skill level doesn't allow for the longer stuff so be. If it does so be it.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting is not a sport if you want a sport try Basketball I am not a sportsman I am a hunter I kill because I like the taste of the animals I shoot and if I do it with in the rules the DNR says are legal there shouldnt be a problem. I really dont give a fuck what B&C states or what you think I am a predator I stalk and ambush game that I want to eat and I dont need some Holier than thou asshole telling me because I set an ambush up 20 feet in a tree and Mr. Deer or Bear does not know I am there it is not right because they dont have a clue or if I hunt a deer for 5 days and finaly get a shot at 400 yards wich I can make by the way that it is unfair. I say fuck fair they have a noise 100,000 times more sensitive than mine they can hear 100 times better and can see in the dark and you are playing in their back yard on top of it so who really has the advantage? If you want a so called even playing field watch NASCAR you dont belong in the field. You dont live in Grand Forks by any chance do you?

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger-

If you want to quote B&C, ask them if they would reject an animal shot "too far" away.

B&C mentions "unfair advantage". Do you consider treestands to be unfair? Scopes? Cover scent? Camo clothing?

As for B&C's "free ranging" definition, I think if anything, you SUPPORT a LR hunter's side. The animal is unrestricted in it's home range, cover may or may not be present, but that's true of ANY hunting situation, and reasonable opportunity to elude the hunter? With extra distance, the animal has the advantage, right?

Do you intentionally "reveal" yourself to an animal, at any range, before you shoot it? If not, then your whole definition here loses any bearing.

So again, where in the definition that you quote does it preclude "long range", whatever that is?

one of us
posted Hide Post
What I said is true killing a animal is not a sport it is what it is killing its not harvesting there is no farming involved you are killing plain and simple. Now dont get me wrong I dont shoot everything that walks or kill just for the sake of killing and I do trophy hunt a little and I enjoy everytime I am in the woods but I like the taste pretty much all the meat in my freezer is wild game. It really gets to me when people come off as this is the only way to do it and that is my way just because they have their own limits they try force them on other people. I know for a fact the guy that sits at 800 yards with his 338 Lapua mag and shoots deer has a hell of alot more time practicing and preparing then the average hunter who shows up at the range the day before season and sights in their deer rifle yet 95% of them are the ones bitching because the Lapua guy is shooting deer at 800 yards.

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I'm sure the way I hunt is better (and more sporting than the way someone else hunts) LOL!, I don't have a real problem with long-range hunting. I do have a little problem with a long-range hunter (any long range hunter-I'm not being specific) talking macho because he shot a deer, elk or whatever at 1/2 mile. That is an impressive feat, but I'm not sure its any more impressive than a bowhunter shooting a deer, elk or whatever at 3 yards.

Posts: 31 | Location: Maine | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote