New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iowa whitetail hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son just took a job and moved to Iowa. He should be able to buy a resident license this season. We don't know anybody up there, any suggestions as to hunting opportunities?
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start by knocking on doors. Iowa doesn't have tons of public land and most of it gets hammered during the season. The best bet is just ask farmers that he comes in contact with and ask if he can hunt. Without knowing where he is living in the state, thats the best advise I can give you. Hope it helps.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That does help, as a matter of fact he will be working in the agriculture industry and should be in contact with some farmers. I didn't know about public land opportunities, hunting pressure, and so on.

He'll be living in the Clear Lake area.
Thanks,
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the same time I did that, I'd also try real hard to get myself some pheasant hunting invites (I like the Spirit Lake area for that myself). It's a win-win. A farm with pheasants much of the time will also have deer. And he'll want to do both at some point anyway.

As fwiw general advice, it's been my experience that no matter what state or what's your game, one of the more useful things a young hunter can learn is, expect to spend about 10% of your time actually afield and 90% cultivating friendships with people who own land.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a ton of public hunting around Clear Lake. There are pheasants and Huns in the area and better to the West. Go East a couple hours to Allamakee County and the Yellow Forest for some good public hunting for deer.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote